City or country???????

I'm with Bow-tie --SHhhhh --- the relentless march of the suburbs is bad enough. The jerk wads at city hall canceled our RR routes last year and give us a stupid street number - and blamed it on updating 911.

I grew up very rural--yous shoot 'ear me. Don't worry, I am not moving back and most are not going to move in.

The dark side:
--rodents, bugs, lime disease, etc
--everyone knows your business and has an opinion about it
-- communities can be quite homogenous--if you don't belong to the right church you won't fit in, or if you are the only "minority" in the community
--long distance to hospital and first responders, depending on your area, might not be well trained

I'll add some more. Hunters from the city come and shoot you. I had one acquaintence that was driving down some rural highway and a bullet went through his car and into his knee. He barely made it to the hospital. Some deer hunter from the city was shooting towards the highway.

Rural areas are also the new hotbed for meth labs. The odor is too strong for the city.

JG, I agree.  IMHO  there are millions of gun-owners who have never raised the weapon in anger.  It's just a safety valve.  I would rather have it and not need it than the reverse.  The more armed law-abiding citizens the better.

I am always amused at statements like these. The reason is that the facts don't support it. Statistics show that a gun in a home is more likely to be used among friends and family than any intruder.

With that said. I am all for people owning their own guns. I used to hunt and owned plenty of guns, before I started seriously flyfishing. I used to have a 44 Magnum, 30-30, 20 gauge double barrels. I still admire a nice engraved over and under.

Just don't kid yourselves though. A gun is not going to protect you in most situations. And in fact (statistically) will endanger your family and friends.

Dogs - which gives me time to load my 12 gauge pump - never been necessary.

BTY - my neighbor's house alarm (across the inlet) is going off again for the umpteenth time - his parrot? has figured out how to pick his cage lock and flies thru the motion detector.

Dogs are better.

Living with both dogs and a parrot, a parrot is much scarier.

Or a goose. A determined goose can chase anyone away.

Hi Cut-Throat. Obviously I don't agree with you about a
gun's lack of offering the owner protection. But, assuming this
was actually correct, I still want the option.
BTW, I can't put my hands on the stats just now, but
accidental injury in the home by firearms is a statistical
zero. You are more likely to be afflicted by slipping on the ice or bad potato salad. I'm not kidding.

JG

I can't put my hands on the stats just now, but
accidental injury in the home by firearms is a statistical
zero.

Accidents, are not what I was talking about.

If you are talking about husbands shooting their wives,
sometimes they just won't listen :)

JG

Gun control is getting all rounds in the 10 ring. :D Gun onwership is good as long as the owners are properly trained in their use/saftey. Unfortunately most people don't have a clue about guns.

I can't wait to get back to country living. I got tired of the city moving in on us so me and the wife moved to the city thinking it won't change much. I hate traffic. I hate not seeing stars. I hate noise. I hate hearing my neighbor burp. I WANT SPACE!!! Only 13 more years to go unitl retirement.:-[

"most people don't have a clue about guns" That gives
those of us who are armed the upper hand.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king :)

JG

Nords-- That's the old theory, the new one is "Peace through accurate firepower." :)

Nords-- That's the old theory, the new one is "Peace through accurate firepower." :)
As a former weapons officer, I think that's almost as funny as "shock & awe".

Yesterday I drove in toward Chicago for a lunch date
(Did you miss me? :) ) I will not go into the city itself for any
reason. Ever since I was a young man I have said
that you could not get far enough "out" to suit me.
I feel more that way now than ever before.

Anyway, similar real estate commands a huge premium
(over where I live) for similar property, as you move toward the city. Also, I noticed driving in
that the gas got progressively more expensive, and peaked at about .13/gallon over what I paid before I
started out. When I arrived, I paid $7.00 for a glass
of "house" Chardonnay (average in restaurants where I live would be $3.50). Okay, so it's only a little here and a little there................but, as Everitt Dirksen once said
"a billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you're
talking real money :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom