Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

What is your temperature/humidity limit to walk 18 holes?

I like to walk as often as possible when I play golf. Next week the highs are in the 97-98F range, and I'm not sure I should even try to walk in that - I don't want to drop out after 9 so I don't want to just try it and see what happens. We are teeing off 8ish so we'll miss some/most of the peak heat...

Always walk when playing at home, starting to hit the mid-90's here in the afternoon but tee off around 7am so done around 10am. Many of the walkers around here use an umbrella with their push cart for shade during the summer, that doesn't work well for me, too tall. I've played in Phoenix when it's 110 but used a cart, many of them have misters installed to cool you off.

Last edited:
I'll walk anytime it is CPO (cart path only, for the uninformed) on the local munis and as long as the temps are below 85 degrees. Also depends on the course and the distance between greens and tee boxes not to mention how hilly the course might be.

Chas Schwartzel pulled in 4.75 million dollars for 3 rounds of LIV golf. Or 88k per hole. That will make an impression.

What is your temperature/humidity limit to walk 18 holes?

I like to walk as often as possible when I play golf. Next week the highs are in the 97-98F range, and I'm not sure I should even try to walk in that - I don't want to drop out after 9 so I don't want to just try it and see what happens. We are teeing off 8ish so we'll miss some/most of the peak heat...

On hot days I always start before 8am; 7am is preferable. For me I am willing to do it up into humid low 90s with the heat index 100 or below. Lots of water/gatorade a water spray bottle, and a cart umbrella for those holes with little shade. I also got some cloth thing that when wet expands to hold the water, and I wear it around my neck like a scarf to help keep me cool.

The heat bothers me more when I have to wait on others, but if I can keep moving I am fine.

I once made the mistake of playing a round using a cart when the temp hit a muggy 110 degrees. Never again.

Chas Schwartzel pulled in 4.75 million dollars for 3 rounds of LIV golf. Or 88k per hole. That will make an impression.

Better yet, the last place dude didn't break 75 and walked away with $125K. Not bad for three days work, covered air fare, lodging and a dinner at the Savoy. A jolly good day chap, if I don't say so myself.

I saw an interview with the last place dude before the tourney and he was only guaranteed to play the first event. Since a few others have committed to play he will be bumped. Plus he won’t have an opportunity to play any pga events as his name was included on the suspended list. Nice pay day but his aspirations to be a professional golfer may be over. Andy Ogletree(spelling ?) is his name. He won the US Amateur in 2019 I think.

... Plus he won’t have an opportunity to play any pga events as his name was included on the suspended list. Nice pay day but his aspirations to be a professional golfer may be over. Andy Ogletree(spelling ?) is his name. He won the US Amateur in 2019 I think.

He probably knows that it is unlikely that he'll ever get a Tour card anyway so this was his chance to grab $125k while he could.

He probably knows that it is unlikely that he'll ever get a Tour card anyway so this was his chance to grab $125k while he could.

Golf is hard us am of the year in 2019 and can't get a tour card. I imagine this guy might get a few fill in spots.

BC is a mean spirited jerk IMO. I imagine those ranking numbers for LIV will only improve going forward.

Could be. He said he was just looking for a place to play as he hadn’t been able to Monday qualify for pga events. Finishing dead last at a LIV event would end my tour hopes.

BC is a mean spirited jerk IMO. I imagine those ranking numbers for LIV will only improve going forward.

I can take or leave BC but he does make some valid points. Like the host Dan Patrick mentioned, these guys should have just come out and stated the obvious, "I'm doing it for the money." Moral turpitude and hypocrisy aside, it's all about the money.

So he made up the numbers - what does mean spirited have to do with easily verifiable numbers? I'm not a fan of BC either, but I found the stats provide some quantitative perspective on the LIV field.

So he made up the numbers - what does mean spirited have to do with easily verifiable numbers? I'm not a fan of BC either, but I found the stats provide some quantitative perspective on the LIV field.

The numbers were part of a rant he did on golf channel I think he is the resident ranter on GC. BC ranked top 60 in 99 so he should know how hard it is to get near the top 100. I remember back in his early prime Brooks would say in reality he only had to beat around a dozen golfers. And I do think very few if any of those top dozen will go to LIV.. too much endorsement money at risk.

Last edited:
I can take or leave BC but he does make some valid points. Like the host Dan Patrick mentioned, these guys should have just come out and stated the obvious, "I'm doing it for the money." Moral turpitude and hypocrisy aside, it's all about the money.

I don't think anyone really thinks otherwise. I saw an interesting stat on Pat Perez he turned pro in 97 and had made 26 million in career earnings. Certainly not peanuts that hits around a million a year. He plays a lot of tournaments and must have a ton of yearly expenses. Travel, lodging, caddies, coach, manager, accountant for taxes in heaven know how many states etc. Doesn't get a ton of endorsement money either.

Rumor is he got a 5 million dollar signing bonus, I can see that being very tempting. He does decent in an event or two and he won't need to be playing on the senior circuit until he's 60.

Why does Dan Patrick do a show , I think it might be for the money...Jim Nantz was pontificating for CBS as well. Slight conflict of interest there Jimmy.

The Mac/Finau/Thomas group should be a good one today if rain doesn't wreck the round. This was nice for mainstream golf because these great last groupings don't happen very often it was a good week for that to happen.

I've got Finau for the win.

Yes, that should be a very entertaining last group. I'll pick JT for the win... the other two tend to choke when in contention and JT seems to relish it.

But on any given Sunday anything can happen... the winner might be someone from the couple threesomes before the final threesome.

Yes, that should be a very entertaining last group. I'll pick JT for the win... the other two tend to choke when in contention and JT seems to relish it.

But on any given Sunday anything can happen... the winner might be someone from the couple threesomes before the final threesome.

Maybe Sam Burns but I agree that Thomas is sitting pretty at 2 shots behind

Burns, Rory & JT all have their eye on next week anyway, but it should be an entertaining finish today. JT skipped the Memorial and entered RBC specifically to sharpen up for next week.

Two of the zippers on my golf bag have failed and a couple others are in bad shape. I priced out golf bags online at Golftown and was hit with sticker shock. Basic ones start at $160, nicer ones are $300.

If you want sticker shock, do not... I repeat DO NOT... go shopping for a new putter.

I'm definitely a budget golfer. My friend's dad used to build clubs, I bought a putter from him for $20 thirty years ago and have been using since. I bought my current bag 15 years ago for $50 from someone who won it in a silent auction. I bought Adams Idea irons on clearance for $300 ten years ago.

I did pay a club maker about $400 to build me a driver and 4-wood a few years ago.

If you want sticker shock, do not... I repeat DO NOT... go shopping for a new putter.

How much do think endorsement deals add to the cost of a new putter? My DB side gig is to going to weekend golf demos and selling equipment, he works on commission so that would have commission and endorsement money baked in the price. He sells for one of premium brands..

However I think he spends all that income on golf gear:dance:

Back
Top Bottom