Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

^^^ Yeah, sort of like me screwing up a great round when I'm on the verge of breaking 80.
That's why I never keep track of how I am doing. Obviously I know generally if it's a good, bad or average day - but I never pay any attention to how for over par I am. It's a surprise when I'm done. I've had a couple (best lately) 76's in the past year and didn't know I was doing that well until we added it up at the end of the round. I've had a couple 79's lately, that I probably would have blown had I known on #18.

Last week I had a Jekyll and Hyde round. 37 on the front nine :dance:. I might actually break below 80 for the first time ever! Then a 50 on the back nine :facepalm:. I love this game... :)

Hell, I can't tell you how many times I've had such Jekyll and Hyde rounds... broke 40 on the front nine and though that this might be the day... and blow up on the back... all it really takes is one bad hole or one bad swing to screw up a good round.

Last week I had a Jekyll and Hyde round. 37 on the front nine :dance:. I might actually break below 80 for the first time ever! Then a 50 on the back nine :facepalm:. I love this game... :)
I had a 45 front, 38 back last week. Stupid game, happens all the time…:LOL:

from some reading this was a result of Harris unprofessional aggressive manner not the actual questions. Apparently the reporter took a time out and was readmitted. There's so much rhetoric going on its difficult to get the facts. It will be interesting to see if the open press conferences are restricted to golf reporters.

It will be interesting to see if some golfers wait until after Open week to declare for LIV

Phil M will be doing a presser at the Open early this afternoon

Supposedly 10 big names are waiting till the end of August when the PGA season ends to jump

Supposedly 10 big names are waiting till the end of August when the PGA season ends to jump

Yes there's a lot of money on the line with Fed ex playoffs. Pretty certain LIV players will be filing lawsuits any day now. I imagine LIV will be paying the lawyers

I know how many I'm over par during the round. Just something not that hard to remember and yet not something to dwell on. I've had three sub 80 rounds on two different courses this year, two 78s and one 79. Played yesterday in 107 (heat index) and shot a 91, just one of those days where nothing seemed in sync. One goofy thing that seems to help my game is to start out with low expectations and just try to stay relaxed yet focused and not get down on myself if I have a bad hole or two. In the bigger picture of things we have to remember we are living on a big ball of dirt, circling a big ball of hydrogen trying to hit a little round ball into a 4.25 inch in diameter circular hole. As far as weird rounds, once had a friend shoot a 36 on the front and a 54 on the back, he was despondent after the round.

Last edited:
PGA Tour vs LIV

Im sure all you golf fans have heard the controversy surrounding players being paid large amounts of money to leave the pga tour and join the LIV series.

Im really surprised how bad the pga is handling this. They completely roasted Phil the other day. I realize the pga doesnt want competition or be forced to pony up more money for the players. I didnt hear one reporter ask Phil about completing his grand slam...which more than likely will never happen anyway.

What I dont understand is why they keep saying these players sold out and they're only doing it for the money. Uhh...duh!! When someone gets their tour card, its for the money. They are trying to make a living. I cant think of any pga tournaments where there isnt prize money. I wonder if the pga players will start donating all of their winnings since its not about the money and its only about their legacy. Isnt competition good? Wont more people around the world be exposed to golf if there are more leagues?

Yesterday 37 front, 44 back. WTH? :facepalm:

At my level of golf, I'll take that :). Bogey golf or better is a good day for me.

Today I played 10 holes (things got too slow for me at that point). On all but one hole I was putting at least for par, but only made 3 pars. On 4 holes the par putt stopped no more than a ball width left/right/in front of the hole. Grrr...

I am following 2 young men playing in the US Open for the first time. I have gotten to know them because they play golf for the University of North Carolina--Austin Greaser (a Senior at UNC who is playing as an amateur who qualified by coming in second at the US amateur) and Ryan Gerard (just graduated from UNC, this is his first tournament as a professional, he won the qualifying at Juniper Florida).

Rory seems destined to win. The voice of the PGA tour right now so would be cool for him to win with the rival league stirring things up. Of course I could be wrong. ;)

He's not as sharp today we'll see what Sunday brings anyway he's the vote of the "status quo" so if want to say that OK.What's interesting is some of the big names that are rumored (yes just rumored) to be going to LIV in the near future.

Noticed that fans at the Open don't seem to care nearly as much as all the taking heads about LIV.

Well, after 54 holes at a very tough U.S. Open, the LIV's biggest names are hardly distinguishing themselves.

DJ T17 at +2
Reed T45 at +6
DeChambeau T55 at +8
Phil, Garcia, Oosthuizen and Na all missed the cut

A bit embarassing methinks.

Well, after 54 holes at a very tough U.S. Open, the LIV's biggest names are hardly distinguishing themselves.

DJ T17 at +2
Reed T45 at +6
DeChambeau T55 at +8

I don't think they are embarrassed so you probably don't need to feel embarrassed for them. The top 3 golfers in the world are in the top 10. Those guys were never going to LIV ..Rahm mentioned another 200 million wouldn't make a bit of difference in his life.

Curious if hard Sunday pins will push the winner to even par

The rumor mill is running strong with quite a few highly ranked players jumping to LIV, not just the washed up golfers that are over there now. It's pretty obvious why LIV invited Brooks brother Chase Koepka (WR ~1500) to play over there, someone who wasn't able to qualify to play in the minor leagues (Korn Ferry Tour). This won't be good for golf in the long run since there's a good chance most of the LIV players won't qualify for any of the majors in coming years. The European Tour (DP World) is in a very tough spot, they were already hurting financially and this will make it worse. Maybe a DP World/LIV marriage in the future?

Then I don't get what the LIV has to offer golf fans.

Why would we bother to watch a second rate golf tour of mostly has-beens when we can watch the PGA Tour and watch the best in the world? There is a reason that the Korn Ferry Tour and minor league baseball are not widely televised... viewers don't want to waste their time watching the minor leagues when they can spend their time watching the best players in the world.

Good question P lots of things are tried in sports and not all succeed but the open is one of the top 3 events in Golf. All the big boys don't show up for the John Deere classic. They don't want to and they don't have to.

We'll see where LIV sits i12 months from now

The biggest guys will benefit from LIV the open winner get over 3 million bucks a 900k increase from 21. So indirectly benefit from the competition. PM saying golfers weren't being fairly rewarded has some truth to it

Last edited:

DJ T17 at +2
Reed T45 at +6
DeChambeau T55 at +8

+1, the Obnoxious Greed League strikes out…

But Sunday has shaped up for a great shootout, it’ll be fun to watch. I like to see them on tough courses, but some easy ones mixed in is fun too.

Last edited:
Then I don't get what the LIV has to offer golf fans.

Why would we bother to watch a second rate golf tour of mostly has-beens when we can watch the PGA Tour and watch the best in the world? There is a reason that the Korn Ferry Tour and minor league baseball are not widely televised... viewers don't want to waste their time watching the minor leagues when they can spend their time watching the best players in the world.

I agree based on the current list of players on LIV but the names I've seen mentioned as considering going to LIV (Cantlay, Morikawa, Hovland, Schauffele, Matsuyama, Finau, Niemann, Koepka) are all ranked in the top 20.
LIV has little chance of getting a US TV contract as is, they even offered to pay FOX to broadcast their tournaments and FOX turned them down.

US Open tv coverage has been awful this year I switched over to watching featured groups for free at the open website. Streaming free coverage without commercials is way better than network IMO LIV shows much more actual golf.

Back
Top Bottom