• 70-79

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • 80-89

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • 90-100

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not seeing how to get the bike score at this site, it only lists walk score:
https://www.walkscore.com/score/

It might depend on how remote it is where you live. When I put in my current address, I only get a walk score, of 5. Nothing else.

If I put in my previous address, I get a walk score of 8, and a bike score of 37.

If I put in the address of a friend of mine in DC, I get a walk score of 8, a bike score of 79, and a transit score of 73.

My guess is that if you're not getting a bike score, or a transit score, it's actually rating those two a zero, but not showing them. Seems to me though, that just about any area should be at least somewhat bikeable. Even if it's hilly and there's no sidewalks or shoulders, you can still bike it. It's not very safe, but in situations like that walking isn't very safe, either!

I got a 24. We can walk to the lake and boardwalk and a marina and to a Cumbies. And to a chocolate/ ice cream shop, and a couple of restaurants and bars. We have to drive 4 miles to get to big box stores and supermarkets and the city (very small city but has almost everything, including a hospital, doctors, etc.

Over 2 miles to the nearest grocery store/shopping center.

Sidewalks for most of that way, but IMHO most people wouldn't walk nearly 5 miles round trip to get groceries.

There was a convenience store 1/2 mile away but it's been closed for decades.

19, but it’s absolutely false. No bike score, despite the fact I’m right around the corner from the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Pizza and Post Office is less than half a mile away. Deli / corner store about 2/3rds of a mile away. Ditto best coffee roaster on the Cape. Ditto Eat Cake 4 Breakfast bakery. Hardware store, convenience store, hairdressers, liquor store, sushi, another pizza joint, book shop, etc. all less than three quarters of a mile on clear sidewalks.

But this app shows me how far it is to downtown Barnstable, which I have no reason to visit.

Walk score 0
Bike score 8

My numbers are fine by me. The problem with the walk score site is that is assumes that people want to walk to some crowded business, etc. I prefer to walk in nature where I seldom see another human.

Same score... We have 30 acres of mixed hardwood forest to wander around in and trails by one of the cleanest rivers in the eastern U.S. out our front door.

We give it a walk score of 1000 :LOL:.

71 walkable. But at age 78 (28 ER yrs.) still listen to the Beach Boy's on Utube and have propensity to drive.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Walk score is 16. I couldn't get it to give me any other scores. It's about 1 mile to get from my house to our Main St. Once on Main St the grocery store would be another 1/2 mile in one direction, train station and other shopping about a 1/2 mile in the other direction.

From my house walking away from town, about 1 mile gets me to the entrance to a county park which abuts a heavily wooded state park preserve on one side and a town park on the other. I could walk for miles on the paths there. When I ride my bike I am equally as concerned about deer as I am about cars.

Walk score in my neighborhood is 75, bike score 79. I walk everywhere except grocery shopping which I do curbside pick up because of Covid

My guess is that if you're not getting a bike score, or a transit score, it's actually rating those two a zero.

I live 1/2 block (less than 1/4 mile) from a bus stop on a major bus line. Busses stop there every 10 minutes or so. This is an older neighborhood, and the bus stop has always been there but oddly we have a transit score of zero. Perhaps we should assume that their methodology does not include any modern bus transportation.

Interesting glitch in the data, which I failed to note in my first post. GNC, which I believe is a nutritional supplement store, is listed as the only grocer within 2 miles of our house. But, Kroger is slightly closer, a super-Walmart is half as far, and a dollar general (which seemingly is less terrible than GNC for groceries), is quite close.

Wouldn't change our "1" score, but rather strange.

Walk:78
Transit: 48
Bike:76

We have several good restaurants within walking distance, including an excellent Taiwanese place that sadly closed last summer. Also within walking distance are several small markets, mostly Armenian, but also Greek and Persian. There is a CVS and a hardware store in walking distance. Until last year, I could walk to my community garden plot, but the land was bought by a private school; they're going to put playing fields on the parcel. With Astroturf!

I'm surprised the transit score is so low because we chose a house between two bus lines. The nearest bus stop is half a block away. Before covid, we used to routinely take the bus into Boston for dimsum and groceries.

I used to bike fairly often, but our house is on a hill. It was just too exhausting to haul my bicycle up the steps to put it away. The city does have a number of bikeways, and some major streets have been redesigned with dedicated bus/bike lanes. In recent years, we added bike sharing stations with Blue bikes. I keep meaning to try them out.

Current house is 42 which seems about right. Our prior house was 0. The main reason I wanted to move from that house was because it was so remote from anything. Closest anything was a gas station/convenience store about 10 to 12 minutes away (by car).

walk score:77 bike score: 83 transit score: 59 We live 2 blocks from a great bike trail that I can ride 60 miles, but got dinged due to hills. Transit light rail stations 1.25 mi away. Bus stop 1 block away.

Walk score 12. No idea on the others, it doesn't show them.

But that website is way out of date. We have a strip mall with 4 restaurants, a salon, a mailstop-type place, an Edward Jones (yuk), and a couple of open storefronts within 20 mins walking distance that they are totally missing. It's been there 4 or 5 years now. Oh, and the public golf course sports bar (5 mins walking, been there for 20 years) is missing too. So 5 restaurants closer than their "closest". Based on the text descriptions of their scoring system, we should be in the 40s or 50s.

And the car "commute" time to our nearest downtown is 50% higher than reality.

So the website seems pretty useless outside of maybe old urban cores.

Back
Top Bottom