• 80-89

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • 90-100

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Based on the recent High Speed Rail thread, I thought it would be fun to take a poll and see what your walk score is for where you live. I suspect there is likely a very strong correlation between your walk score and your availability of various forms of public transportation. If you have high walk score, you probably also have more access to public transportation options.

Check your address here:
https://www.walkscore.com/score/

My house is a 0 walk score. Completely car dependent, it's not even any good for bicycling. I live out in country, although the end of suburbia is getting close. That fact won't change my walk score though.

We live in a very urban inner suburb of New Orleans. I think it is the most walkable neighborhood I have ever seen.

I thought our walk score would be higher! Everything we could possibly want or need is within a mile, except the hospital which is less than 2 miles away. Biking is fine on residential streets, but there are some major streets with too much traffic to bike safely unless you are young and reckless.

Sidewalks definitely need repairs and upkeep, so maybe that is what is pulling our scores down. They aren't bad enough to keep us from walking.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-27 204337.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 204337.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 493
Our primary home requires a car for everything except a walk around the block. The main road to get anywhere doesn’t have sidewalks and is unsafe for walking.
Our Jersey Shore home is more walkable, if my back problems allowed me to walk any distance. Fortunately there are lots of benches on the boardwalk.

My walk score is 15 but that is total BS. I have a 400 acre nature preserve at the end of the street with miles of trails. I can walk to the next town on these trails. My neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks but the speed limit is 20mph so almost everyone who lives here walks, runs, rides bikes. This is one of the best areas I know of for riding bikes yet this website shows a bike score of 26 just ridiculous. They must be looking for separate bike paths overlooking extremely bike friendly streets.

My house scored a 78 and I thought it would be higher. Strangely enough, it scored best on groceries and shopping and I wish we had a closer grocery store. The nearest is too far to walk. There is a bunch of boutique shopping, but not so much day to day stuff.

Dining & drinking and parks were lowest, but there is a huge park with a 4 minute walk, the nearest bar/restaurant is 4 minutes, and there are 4 wineries and a dozen restaurants within a 10 minute walk!

My walk score is 29, transit score is 37. I find that funny since I have to walk by a library, bank, and a strip mall with restaurants (3) and a grocery store before I get to the closest bus stop. It's about 3/4 mile to the bus stop.

I think what hurts is we are on a finger mesa going down into a canyon... so there is a hill to walk up before we hit the top of the mesa... that hurts our bike and walk scores.

I think transit is helped by a new trolley line - but that trolley line's stop is almost 2 miles away.

Oh - and if we need to go downtown (jury duty or a city meeting or just a night out) we take the bus. So I'm not afraid of public transit.

Our plan is to downsize at some point to a more age-in-place home (single level, probably condo with maintained grounds) in a more walkable neighborhood... either near the beach or in one of the more happening neighborhoods with more restaurants and transit.

64 walk, 43 bike, 751 transit

Last edited:
This is strange. The first time I put in my address it gave a walk score of 81 but no bike or transit score. After seeing W2R's post, I put in an address in San Francisco, just to compare. Then when I went back to my address I got a different walk score and now I have bike and transit scores as well. Seems like it might be recalculating in the background after somebody gives it an address.

This is pretty accurate. I can walk to everything in town and we have grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, a library, etc; but I have to drive if I want to shop in person for anything like housewares or most clothing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-27 192032.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 192032.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 453
My walk score is 15 but that is total BS. I have a 400 acre nature preserve at the end of the street with miles of trails. I can walk to the next town on these trails. My neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks but the speed limit is 20mph so almost everyone who lives here walks, runs, rides bikes. This is one of the best areas I know of for riding bikes yet this website shows
a bike score of 26 just ridiculous. They must be looking for separate bike paths overlooking extremely bike friendly streets.

Even more so for me. 26 overall and 19 Bikeability score in a town littered with bike lanes and bike trails.

4 walk score for us (originally it showed 0, but going back after entering two other address it changed, go figure). The only drawback of where we live. no sidewalks well maintained roads with little or no shoulders. 1.5 miles to shopping, possibly walkable if there were sidewalks, but with the conditions above and a few hills a car is needed. A 15 minute drive minimum to any public transportation. But, we knew when we purchased, and the tradeoff is fine with us.

11 bike score. We have very little traffic other than the commute hours, when it is moderate. But narrow, hilly roads with lots of curves. We see bikers every few days on our street but we would not risk it.

Our 2 previous locations had walk scores of 52 and 7, and bike scores of 37 and 28. We are going steadily downhill :).

We're at a 10. I thought we would be a zero since we drive everywhere here in Anaheim.

Walk score = 1.
Transit score = 0.

I live on a semi-rural, two-lane highway. No sidewalks anywhere.

It works for me. It's nice and peaceful and relatively quiet.

I have a walk score of 79, and a bike score of 88.

Like a few others, I am surprised that my walkscore is so LOW. I can very easily walk to 4 grocery stores, many bars and restaurants, whatever church you prefer, post office, paint stores, tailors, etc. There are three different biergartens within stumbling, ahhh, walking distance.

current location 1
bike score 25, which is total BS. The roads are terrible around here for biking

The retirement property
walk score 12
bike score 20? Once again, really not representative.

The biking is one of the attractions of our new place. the Olympic Discovery bike trial is 1.3 miles down the road from our house.
https://olympicdiscoverytrail.org/

Screenshot_20220127-220821_Samsung%20Internet.jpgIMHO there's something wrong with this site. I walk almost everywhere and there's a bus stop within a 1/4 mile that goes straight to Bart (for SF & SFO). Used to drive 2000 miles a month, now 7k a year including travels.

It said my walk score is 47. Weird because I am in walking distance to many places including 2 grocery stores.

Walk score 0
Bike score 8

My numbers are fine by me. The problem with the walk score site is that is assumes that people want to walk to some crowded business, etc. I prefer to walk in nature where I seldom see another human.

Around my house:
Walk score: 74
Transit: 50
Bike score: 81
I find the area around our place is very walkable with a lot of parks and we go for walks around the neighbourhood regularly. However, it's primarily single family houses so there's some but not a wide range of retail and commercial within a 5 min walk. At the 15-20 min range though, we hit the next set of retail streets which has a lot more variety.
That said, downtown Vancouver has a Walk score of 97 which I totally believe. We regularly drive downtown, dump the car, and spend a few hours walking around

I'm not surprised the bike score is higher because the city has installed bike routes with traffic calmed streets & intersections. And our place is along some of the major north-south and east-west routes.

Zero.

Overall I'm not completely sold on walk scores but they seem to be the best option even if they don't always feel correct. With that said my subdivision total earned it's zero score. It's fine for walking in the neighborhood but you can't get to anything other than houses.

1st time 15. 2nd time 22.

These scores are not based only on your ability to bike or walk in your neighborhood. They are based on the various facilities you can access by biking and walking. Here is link ithat you might find helpful to appreciate the factors that create your score. Just to be clear, this is just one example of the concept as the measurement can be weighted by the developer of the scale. But, they all are weighted to be for practical daily living needs, not just the ability to feel safe walking and biking.

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2021/02/08/defining-15-minute-city

Walk score is 49, but a little misleading, since most of the close by stores are in strip mall type areas on a main road.

Zero score for me, but less than half a mile to the Coronado National Wilderness. This makes me happier than being able to walk to Whole Foods.

Back
Top Bottom