What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Our adult kids and niece/husband/daughter spent Saturday nite at our place. Was nice to see everyone and have a full house.

After they left went across town to spend time w/ 97 year old FIL. He’s finally out of the hospital and spending a few days in a rehab facility before going back home.

Got up early to head to the ranch to get a few things done. It was a drizzling, and a foggy day so didn't get any mowing done but did somethings done.

Got a call from my wife that DIL and the two GD's were coming over for a visit and have lunch. It was a great day to spend time with the GD's for a bike ride and to play and hold the 8 month old.

Congratulations! We've been dogless for about 3 months now, although we are babysitting DD's 2 for the time being. We've been thinking of a new pup, but the timing just doesn't seem right. I'm also concerned that in our late 60s a puppy might be a lot to deal with. We've always adopted, but haven't seen the right dog yet. Puppies are hard to find these days around here, and especially small breeds (chihuahuas, pugs, etc).

I wish you well with Rusty. Lots of clean rugs and good night's sleep! And of course, laughter and joy.

Thanks.
At 66, I was worried about a puppy, he is a lot of work. But he gets me busy with plenty of exercise throwing balls and playing in the yard! First vet appt soon.

Up early went and checked minnow traps for fishing tournament at end of the week. Cleaned out the garden except for the cantaloupe which I will cover if we get some frost in the next few weeks. I also changed oil on my pickup for the first time since I owned it in 2009. Saved about 60$.

Will be heading to the high country for an evening bow hunt.

Up early went and checked minnow traps for fishing tournament at end of the week. Cleaned out the garden except for the cantaloupe which I will cover if we get some frost in the next few weeks. I also changed oil on my pickup for the first time since I owned it in 2009. Saved about 60$.

Really? Has it been parked or in storage?

I'll bet that oil came out of the pan like soft Jello.

Really? Has it been parked or in storage?

OHHH No, I might have worded that wrong!!!

What I meant to say since I have had that truck, I haven't changed oil on it myself. I have always had it done at the shop.

No, it has 200K on it and is still running and getting me from A to B and has never failed me yet and has a lot of oil changes.

Sorry!!

Sounds much better :)

Last edited:
Thanks to the continual heat wave here in Central Texas starting in late spring through the entire summer, I've been spending time this afternoon removing Bermuda grass that has been encroaching our shrubs.

The edge of shrub bed runs close to 40', and if the Bermuda isn't dug out every couple of months, it becomes a massive chore. It was just too damn hot to work in the yard this summer, even in the mornings.

I last addressed the Bermuda five months ago, so I'm paying the price now. I'm doing it a bit at a time (20-30 minutes in the yard, followed by 15-20 minutes in the house). I have couple more times I need to do this.

If someone wanted to become a multi-millionaire, create a herbicide that can be sprayed on any living plant, and the only thing that would be killed from it is Bermuda grass. Make it non-toxic to the rest of the environment.

Laying in bed, starting the recovery process from my inguinal hernia surgery this morning. Looking forward to not feeling the intense pain, but getting damn sick of being laid up. I might have to BTD hiring out my honey-do list. Being limited to lifting 20 lbs doesn't leave much room for getting things done.

If someone wanted to become a multi-millionaire, create a herbicide that can be sprayed on any living plant, and the only thing that would be killed from it is Bermuda grass. Make it non-toxic to the rest of the environment.

Of course, after you've gotten rich, they'll find some obscure side effect, and sue you for $Biliions. The American way.

Of course, after you've gotten rich, they'll find some obscure side effect, and sue you for $Biliions. The American way.

But you will already have shipped it to offshore tax havens and have no money of your own. Allegedly. :D

I spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning and treating my motorcycle leathers and boots and lubing the zippers. Gotta take care of that stuff.

As on most Tuesdays, I worked handing out food from my church's food pantry. I enjoy the feeling of concretely helping people who need help.

Two weeks ago, I was surprised and saddened when one of our people asked if we had cans of food with pull rings, because he didn't have a can opener. After mulling the idea over, I bought a box of the small P38 can openers like the ones I used to open C-rations in the military. And when the fellow came back today, I gave him one and showed him how to use it. It's such a simple thing but is a real improvement in expanding the food we can give him and others who don't have things in their homes that we often take for granted.

I corralled one of three peacocks that found their way from the valley to my house. Managed to get it in the enclosed stairwell between house and garage (I always KNEW that was a good idea) for the owner to throw a blanket over it and get it in a cage. Two more to go, if they'll stay around my house.

Changing my yard to all natives bc I hate gardening. 2/3 just needs time now RDT_20231003_1542309154778332931418669.jpg

But you will already have shipped it to offshore tax havens and have no money of your own. Allegedly. :D

I spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning and treating my motorcycle leathers and boots and lubing the zippers. Gotta take care of that stuff.
I take that as a hopeful sign in your recovery?

A tooth fell out at lunch today. It was a crown on an implanted post. I had visions of dollar signs dancing out of my bill fold. After a quick trip to the dentist it turned out to be the small cap that is threaded over the implanted post. It holds the crown in place. I have a new crown being made and there will be no cost to me. That was a relief. Just 3 weeks of eating around the missing tooth. I can handle that!

Took the gal up to the airport - she and 5 other girlfriends for the last 50-60 years are converging on Colorado Springs for a "Big Girl Sleepover". Back Saturday, so it's just me and the cat. Dang cat better generate tonight!

Took DW to her pilates appointment. Last week, a worker from a neighboring business gave me a very hard time over parking lot access. DW mentioned it to the owner to be met with denials of who the person was. Today, that person was parked in the same place, and the owner saw their identity.

We came home and saw this guy.View attachment 47278

What is it? A big cat?

OHHH No, I might have worded that wrong!!!

What I meant to say since I have had that truck, I haven't changed oil on it myself. I have always had it done at the shop.

No, it has 200K on it and is still running and getting me from A to B and has never failed me yet and has a lot of oil changes.

Sorry!!

You have redeemed yourself. :D

Bermuda grass ha, ha,ha, One small rhizome hitchhiked to mi casa in a 5 gallon Cleveland sage I bought years ago.

Well I have a couple of 80 lb tortoises that patrol the property, so I let it grow cause they love to eat it.

Currently it is now as obnoxious as those little rattlesnakes biting my toes. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom