What We're Making

I feel like I'm playing with Major League Baseball stars while I hit my wiffle ball off a tee.

I suppose this is only limited to making wood longer?:)
I didn't watch all of the BS-1000 video, but no, I made a lot of money for other people by making them shorter.

If you have an 8' board just over 4 5/8 inches wide, it has 3 board feet. Cut it into two 4' pieces each have 2 board feet. I frequently did that trick on walnut boards as the walnut rules don't penalize short pieces, unlike the standard rules.

First strip and glue up the hull up to the widest part of the kayak. Then strip and glue up the top deck, not gluing the strips where the top deck and bottom hull sections come together. Then take the top off as a single unit. The forms and strongback then can be removed from the glued up hull since the top of the hull is the widest part of the kayak. Then epoxy/ fiberglass the insides of the hull and deck separately. Then clamp and glue the hull and deck together. Then....

Thanks Ron. Nothing fun to report yet.

Clients have finally slowed their pace (knock on wood) & DW wanting to remodel her office and guest bedroom... Starting today but will likely be many weeks of w*rk...

Wow-had been awhile since I had come back to this thread-was looking for the cookies 😉. I have finished a few afghans-last one is called Seaside Serenity

Beautiful!

I'm building another workbench. A stout one. One with a 4" thick top and 4"x5" legs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 5.47.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 5.47.30 AM.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 47
I'm building another workbench. A stout one. One with a 4" thick top and 4"x5" legs.
That will a strong working top for just about anything. I built one very similar to that design when doing log carving.

Keep us updated when you complete it.

Ron, I’m looking forward to seeing the results since you do quality work. I’m curious, did you draw those plans by hand or use software? Nicely done.

I usually do a very rough sketch by hand with a few measurements before using Sketchup for a detailed plan. I still have a copy of Sketchup 2017 on my old work laptop, which was the last free standalone Mac version before they went to the subscription model. As long as I don’t update the Mac OS it should keep working.

Here’s the project that I’m working on now. It’s a scaled down version of a Mission style table for my wife to fit a specific space for some of her plants.

Attachments

• Mission Table.jpg
    Mission Table.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 33
Ron, I’m looking forward to seeing the results since you do quality work. I’m curious, did you draw those plans by hand or use software? Nicely done.

I usually do a very rough sketch by hand with a few measurements before using Sketchup for a detailed plan. I still have a copy of Sketchup 2017 on my old work laptop, which was the last free standalone Mac version before they went to the subscription model. As long as I don’t update the Mac OS it should keep working.

Here’s the project that I’m working on now. It’s a scaled down version of a Mission style table for my wife to fit a specific space for some of her plants.

I drew that plan by hand. Sometimes I use Sketchup but I'm not very good at it. I use the online free version.

Your plan looks great! I really like the Mission style.

I have three 6-foot long work benches made from framing lumber that I bought from Hechinger's Hardware about 40+ years ago. (Hechinger's was a D.C. area hardware/home improvement chain similar to Home Depot, but a bit smaller and local. They went out of business about 30 years ago but it was a great hardware store.)

They each came as a kit and cost about $40 at the time, less than it would have cost to buy the pieces individually. You could drop an engine block on one and it wouldn't even groan. I put a piece of plywood on top for a level surface and bam, you have a wonderful workbench that will last for generations if anyone wants it. They've been through three moves so far and I have to take them apart to fit through doorways. If we ever move again at least one of them is coming with me.

Finished the bed storage base. We have a friend doing a headboard for us.

The glides are push / eject kind so we can go without pulls. You can't see it, but it's all rift sawn white oak panels with a clearcoat satin finish. Starting on the dresser TV hutch today.

Also painted & cleaned up everything; it's the guest bedroom...

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_093141996.jpg
    IMG_20231025_093141996.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20231025_093118252.jpg
    IMG_20231025_093118252.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 52
The bed storage looks great and very functional! You can never have too much storage. I used those same type of drawer slides on a recent project and really like them. May I ask where you bought them?

The bed storage looks great and very functional! You can never have too much storage. I used those same type of drawer slides on a recent project and really like them. May I ask where you bought them?

Thanks. We need more with a our tiny house and 2 DGK's.

I went to a retirement sale. The old guy had a cabinet and custom everything shop. Got them for a song ($2/pair)should have bought more than the ten pair... I typically go with Amazon for most glides though.

That’s a great deal on those slides. They have become quite expensive, even on Amazon. I just bought 3 pairs of KV slides for some drawers in my garage/shop. I thought they would be better quality than the ones from China that are so prevalent on Amazon, but the Chinese branded slides are actually better.

That’s a great deal on those slides. They have become quite expensive, even on Amazon. I just bought 3 pairs of KV slides for some drawers in my garage/shop. I thought they would be better quality than the ones from China that are so prevalent on Amazon, but the Chinese branded slides are actually better.

I agree. All are a little finicky on install, but if you square up everything, they all seem to work. I'm doing self closings on the dresser and they work just fine. Lontan is the brand... Even if I have to replace them in a few years, I'd rather take the chance...plus the drawers are easier to make.

Thanks. We need more with a our tiny house and 2 DGK's.

I went to a retirement sale. The old guy had a cabinet and custom everything shop. Got them for a song ($2/pair)should have bought more than the ten pair... I typically go with Amazon for most glides though.

First a beautiful job and I like the space saving idea. We are in the same predicament when DGK's come. We have thought of a futon couch for the den as a problem solver.

First a beautiful job and I like the space saving idea. We are in the same predicament when DGK's come. We have thought of a futon couch for the den as a problem solver.

We almost went to a Murphy bed for the same reason, but decided on the storage bed & dresser (TV / hutch top on the way).

Attachments

• IMG_20231031_161812827.jpg
    IMG_20231031_161812827.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 25
I just finished the Mission style table that my wife requested. All solid walnut except for the shelf. Since the shelf has no room for expansion/contraction in my design, I made my own plywood by sandwiching a piece of 3/4” MDF between 1/8” walnut veneers for stability. The beveled top is 1 1/8” thick and attached with figure 8 fasteners to allow for wood movement. I used TransTint walnut dye for a darker look, followed by multiple coats of Osmo Polyx. It’s always rewarding to see a design on paper come to life.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 1
I just finished the Mission style table that my wife requested. All solid walnut except for the shelf. Since the shelf has no room for expansion/contraction in my design, I made my own plywood by sandwiching a piece of 3/4” MDF between 1/8” walnut veneers for stability. The beveled top is 1 1/8” thick and attached with figure 8 fasteners to allow for wood movement. I used TransTint walnut dye for a darker look, followed by multiple coats of Osmo Polyx. It’s always rewarding to see a design on paper come to life.

Hard to go wrong with walnut. Like the bookmatch look on the veneers. I may steal the mdf trick one day.

Back
Top Bottom