What We're Making

DW would agree that the island is overhuge. It fits the size of the room, but you can't work it from both sides.

A client upsized their home and called me in to refresh the office wall without breaking the bank. Here's the before & after. They just wanted the top to match the floors and renew the doors to the current decade. Original from the late 50s.

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_103340808.jpg
    IMG_20231201_103340808.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231205_115031034.jpg
    IMG_20231205_115031034.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 6
Playing Santa's helper, whipping up a dozen bottle openers to hand out to family and friends.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 8.26.01 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 8.26.01 PM.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 11
Made this end grain board from scraps for a Christmas gift last week.

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpg
    IMG_4451.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 6
^^^ beautiful work!!!!! Thanks for sharing your skills.

Thanks; I did sand it very well up to 320 grit with my Ryobi orbital sander. Thank god for that tool!

Yeah, the end grain is no joke. I rounded the trailing edge and ran it through my planer and it worked perfectly with no tear out. Then finish sanded it. Definitely the best looking grain for chopping, imo.

This was a slab of walnut butcher block from a j*b that was just right...

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_140824148.jpg
    IMG_20221214_140824148.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 6
Made this end grain board from scraps for a Christmas gift last week.

Yeah, the end grain is no joke. I rounded the trailing edge and ran it through my planer and it worked perfectly with no tear out. Then finish sanded it. Definitely the best looking grain for chopping, imo.

Nice cutting boards!! I haven't tried running an end grain cutting board through the planer. Never thought about rounding the edges to avoid tearout.

I have a bunch of scraps - mainly ash and oak - not too good for cutting boards.

Had the relatives send me pics of the boards I gave them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 7.00.34 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 7.00.34 AM.jpg
    876.5 KB · Views: 14
Nice cutting boards guys. What are you using for a finish? Mineral oil has been popular for a long time, but when I made mine I wanted a bit more “pop” and went with Odies Oil which is advertised as food safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 3
Nice cutting boards!! I haven't tried running an end grain cutting board through the planer. Never thought about rounding the edges to avoid tearout.

I have a bunch of scraps - mainly ash and oak - not too good for cutting boards.

Had the relatives send me pics of the boards I gave them.

Beautiful work Ronstar!. Running end grain through the planer can be dangerous if you’re the impatient type….must take tiny bites until you get a big swath. Even then a little at a time if the way to go. I also put another piece of cheap wood that’s same width and thickness, behind the trailing edge, to prevent chip out and tearing. Works perfectly I find.

Love the walnut end grain- that’s a beautiful board and too nice to mar with a knife! Never tried rounding the edge before planing. I’ll give it a try. Other trick I find is making the board just a bit longer than you intended, and chop the chipped out end. Works too for me. Waste of wood yep, but it’s small…

Nice cutting boards guys. What are you using for a finish? Mineral oil has been popular for a long time, but when I made mine I wanted a bit more “pop” and went with Odies Oil which is advertised as food safe.

I use mineral oil, never tried Odies. Available online only? Haven’t seen it at my wood supply place, and they have a lot of stuff. Nice boards!

Beautiful work Ronstar!. Running end grain through the planer can be dangerous if you’re the impatient type….must take tiny bites until you get a big swath. Even then a little at a time if the way to go. I also put another piece of cheap wood that’s same width and thickness, behind the trailing edge, to prevent chip out and tearing. Works perfectly I find.

Thanks. I like the cheap wood behind the trailing edge idea - I do that on the table saw and router - never thought about doing that with the planer.

I just finished a fun project, a walnut stool that my wife requested. The legs angle out at 7 degrees in both directions which create compound angles and is what complicates the build. My solution was to make 2 partial assemblies with the legs angled in one plane, and then use a sled on the tablesaw with the blade tilted to 7 degrees to trim the top and bottom of both leg assemblies in the second plane. I used my Dowelmax jig for all joinery except the top which is attached with figure 8 fasteners to allow for wood movement. For finishing I used a highly diluted TransTint walnut dye to slightly darken the walnut, then 3 coats of Osmo Polyx.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 4
I just finished a fun project, a walnut stool that my wife requested. The legs angle out at 7 degrees in both directions which create compound angles and is what complicates the build. My solution was to make 2 partial assemblies with the legs angled in one plane, and then use a sled on the tablesaw with the blade tilted to 7 degrees to trim the top and bottom of both leg assemblies in the second plane. I used my Dowelmax jig for all joinery except the top which is attached with figure 8 fasteners to allow for wood movement. For finishing I used a highly diluted TransTint walnut dye to slightly darken the walnut, then 3 coats of Osmo Polyx.

Nicely done.

Regarding finish, yeah, mineral oil is my go to for the boards. Definitely take tiny amounts of material if end grain. Forgot to mention that...I was sweating bullets on the first pass & puckered up until it was done.

Been on vaca for a while, but started a project I've wanted to try to do for a while. A client has a 93' Winnebago on a Toyota small truck dually that she wants to revise the living space for her 2024 self. Raising the platforms for more storage and battery banks & adding a drawer, customized (bigger) cabinet for the portable fridge, bookcase insert, and taller bed framing w/added drawer.

Been about a week so far, but challenging my planning skills. Much has to be built inside the RV due to the tiny door... Hoping to wrap up the build in a couple days with hinge lids.

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_112108215.jpg
    IMG_20240105_112108215.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240104_130220645.jpg
    IMG_20240104_130220645.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240105_153053775.jpg
    IMG_20240105_153053775.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 2
I've spent the last 4 weeks on and off making a tool cabinet. Will add 2 more hinged inner doors and sliding cabinet doors left and right of the main cabinet before I'm done.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.55.58 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.55.58 AM.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.55.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.55.30 AM.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 1
Nice work fellows. I have never been brave enough to send end grain through the planer; all my end grain boards I started with a belt sander and finished up with the random.
Good tip whitey abut tapering the trailing edge. I might give that a go some day.

Back
Top Bottom