Discomfort/pain gum area near teeth

I used to always struggle with dental plaque for years and about 10 years ago a dentist asked me if I ever tried Listerine and i said no. He advised me to rinse with Listerine every night before bed and i have been using it nearly every night. I rotate between the original amber stuff and the icy mint Listerine. For the last 10 year i have had almost no tartar build up. My yearly cleanings take about 10 minutes at most, there just is not much scraping they need to do. I just use a regular toothbrush and Aqua Fresh toothpaste with flouride . For me using Listerine at night made a huge difference in less plaque buildup. YMMV.

I used to always struggle with dental plaque for years and about 10 years ago a dentist asked me if I ever tried Listerine and i said no. He advised me to rinse with Listerine every night before bed and i have been using it nearly every night. I rotate between the original amber stuff and the icy mint Listerine. For the last 10 year i have had almost no tartar build up. My yearly cleanings take about 10 minutes at most, there just is not much scraping they need to do. I just use a regular toothbrush and Aqua Fresh toothpaste with flouride . For me using Listerine at night made a huge difference in less plaque buildup. YMMV.

I have started to do this, along with brushing 2 and sometimes 3x per day after each meal. If I'm out that end up be a 2x in the day.

I rinse, with a mouthwash, its the Walmart/Costco/Listerine one depending on which we have. I do avoid the one that can turn teeth blue.

I figure the mouthwash might be helping, and certainly can't hurt, and is pretty cheap considering I use about 1/3 a cap each time.

I'm sold on using a Water Pik. I have flossed every day since I was a young child and I have also used a Sonicare or an Oral B electric toothbrush as an adult but I'm convinced the Water Pik is the best solution to reduce plaque and promote good gum health.

I take reasonable care of my teeth, but for some reason, I'm blessed with good mouth chemistry, I guess. Due to Covid, I missed my yearly cleaning (note, I'd quit 2x yearly already) so it was 2 years in between. Hygienist complimented me on my home care. Go figure!

I have used Listerine original for a long time. The hygienist kept saying that it was bad because the alcohol dries the mouth so I stopped. The next visit I had a lot more plaque and tartar buildup. So I am using it again; It doesn't bother my mouth anyway.

I have used Listerine original for a long time. The hygienist kept saying that it was bad because the alcohol dries the mouth so I stopped. The next visit I had a lot more plaque and tartar buildup. So I am using it again; It doesn't bother my mouth anyway.

Yeah, I use mouthwash (the cheap stuff) when I floss. Seems to work.

We usually just get the store brand Listerine knock off brand, they have the exact same active ingredients and it is cheaper by at least a $1 or maybe more if it's on sale. I rarely bother with flossing and my checkups are still good as long as
use the stuff. The alcohol is only 21% so it is barely 10 proof. I drink whisky that is above 100 proof. Mouth wash does not bother me at all or dry out my mouth. I just do the once a year cleaning seems to be enough for me and I could probably go 2-3 years and still be ok.

I have areas of 2,3 pockets in my gums. My dentist is happy with that. I don't do anything out of the ordinary but for years drink a lot of water and swish between my teeth. I've always taken a sip and swished.

All my gum problems went away once I started regularly using a water pik about 20+ years ago.

We usually just get the store brand Listerine knock off brand, they have the exact same active ingredients and it is cheaper by at least a $1 or maybe more if it's on sale. I rarely bother with flossing and my checkups are still good as long as
use the stuff. The alcohol is only 21% so it is barely 10 proof. I drink whisky that is above 100 proof. Mouth wash does not bother me at all or dry out my mouth. I just do the once a year cleaning seems to be enough for me and I could probably go 2-3 years and still be ok.

Actually it's the opposite: 21% is 42% proof.

https://alcoholvolume.com/alcohol-proof-calculator/

My dentist wants me to get a deep cleaning but I’m trying to avoid the pain. I just purchased a cordless waterpik and was wondering what head to use on it? There is a periodontal tip that doesn’t come with it, it that the one Most people use?

I just use the regular head, warm water with a little mouthwash added.
Start on a lower setting, and gradually move up. I use mine on about the middle one.

I just use the regular head, warm water with a little mouthwash added.
Start on a lower setting, and gradually move up. I use mine on about the middle one.

I do the same. Definitely be sure to add something to the water that is antibacterial. You don't need a lot. Also, recommend that you floss. Don't use the Gore teflon and it's super slippery and doesn't get the job done. Got my worst dental exam results after using it for a few month. The dentist wanted to do a deep cleaning and I said, nope, I'll go back to my old floss and be sure to rinse with an antibacterial and we'll look again in 6 months. All was fine in 6 months. That was even before I started using a WaterPik along with flossing.

Cautionary tale: my husband was in for his semi annual cleaning. He asked the hygienist (his favorite, who he always requests) to stay away from his crown when she was flossing & that he always stays away from it, for fear of it coming out. She told him that can’t happen, it’s permanent, and proceeded to floss the tooth. Want to guess what happened? Yup, his crown came out. She came out to the waiting room almost in tears to tell me. So he had to get a temp made and inserted that day and then come back for another “permanent” one. And we had to pay for it!!!

She still remembers it and says she feels bad about it years later. And of course he continues to say “I knew that was going to happen”.

Truthfully I didn’t think the permanent ones could come out, especially just from floss - but I guess they can. So be careful!

Why couldn't they just cement the one that came out back in?

Yeah, I've had that done a couple of times. No reason to replace unless there is an actual problem with the fit (which will happen eventually)

If it happens other than at the dentist, it's important to put the crown back in to prevent tooth movement (chew on the other side) and then get to the dentist in a day or two to get it re-cemented. And my dentists (both of them) say most crowns do have an expected life. I had one replaced recently that was about 20 years old. It had come out twice in 20 years. Most of my others have stayed in just fine. YMMV

Good question. I assume the fit was off, which contributed to it coming out in the first place. I do trust that since it happened in their office, if they would have been able to re-cement it, they would have.

Waterpik is a supplement right?

Every dentist/hygenist I've seen always mentions that waterpiks are fine to use, but not a substitute for flossing. Seems like the waterpik does a good job, but I do both + sonicare, just because I've been told that so many times.

Jealous of everyone with good teeth: I have pristine gum health I'm told, but lost tremendous amount of bone due to medical issues. Already lost teeth and will probably lose more. Not an implant candidate because of that, even with grafting :(

Maybe denture quality will improve over the next decade. I can hope!

Last edited:
Every dentist/hygenist I've seen always mentions that waterpiks are fine to use, but not a substitute for flossing. Seems like the waterpik does a good job, but I do both + sonicare, just because I've been told that so many times.

Jealous of everyone with good teeth: I have pristine gum health I'm told, but lost tremendous amount of bone due to medical issues. Already lost teeth and will probably lose more. Not an implant candidate because of that, even with grafting :(

Maybe denture quality will improve over the next decade. I can hope!

I think flossing is huge. I use Glide floss picks and it makes it so easy. I suspect it solves so many problems for gums and teeth if done on a regular basis.

Last edited:
YIf it happens other than at the dentist, it's important to put the crown back in to prevent tooth movement (chew on the other side) and then get to the dentist in a day or two to get it re-cemented.

My dentist told me to always carry a little tube of denture adhesive when I travel, just for this reason. It usually lasts a day or so and lets me eat normally.

I have some crowns that are more than 40 years old and have never loosened, so I'm always impressed at modern dentistry.

My dentist told me to always carry a little tube of denture adhesive when I travel, just for this reason. It usually lasts a day or so and lets me eat normally.

I have some crowns that are more than 40 years old and have never loosened, so I'm always impressed at modern dentistry.

I actually pack an emergency dental kit of sorts on every cruise - adhesive, liquid dental pain reliever, etc.) Unlike most vacations, there's no popping into a walgreens or walmart at sea! The only stuff for sale on most ships are overpriced diamonds, art and frou frou cruise wear: very little in the way of essential sundries.

I never flossed....ever. I then began to have gum problems. My solution; I floss in the shower. I've always brushed and shaved in the shower and just added flossing to it. I use the floss picks, re-using them for a few days. I keep the pick pointy-end down in a jar candle. Since I started this, I can say that I floss every day now and my teeth/gums feel better than they have in decades.

About 40+ years ago I had some gum issues, pockets, and I seem to recall they told to mix up a paste for brushing made up of baking soda, salt and peroxide. I used that for while and did better with flossing and never had an issue again.

Back
Top Bottom