Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance / Picket Lines
Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Health Insurance / Picket Lines

I crossed a picket line today, repeatedly. I’m not feeling ashamed enough; I come from a union family and there was a time when I wouldn’t cross. Security guards are on strike because they can’t afford to buy the health insurance coverage "offered" to them. Not sure how many buildings are affected; but if no one crossed, it could shut down the financial district. Upon approaching the building, of course I saw the pickets, many of whom I know well. It was so odd because they greeted me pleasantly. I apologized to the head of security and said I'm "with" them; he said he had to slip in the back door, he’s management.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cuppajoe - I wouldn't feel too bad, your heart is in the right place.

I retired as a regional manager had to deal with 7 different local presidents for a while. They were some of the finest individuals I have ever met. When we were in contract negotiations, I always wished the best for all the unions employees because I knew that whatever benefits they were able to acquire we in middle management would also benefit.
Sadly I had peers that would go out of their way to cross the picket line - I guess as a way of making a statement - well in my opinion they did indeed make a statement. When performance appraisal time came I never had a problem remembering those that had so little regard for those that were the our face to the customer every day. Sure there are bad sides to the union, just like there are bad sides to management but I always considered each of us a member of the team with common goals and interests.
A fact that I always like to bring up at our skip level meetings - the executives have contracts, the union workers have contracts, the only ones that don't have a contract are management....I think there is a message there somewhere.

Peace
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that nice reply, BestStash, turns out they are only striking against the companies that employ the security guards; even so, can’t help thinking they indirectly work for me, as their salaries are included in the rent the businesses in the building pay. Loved your comments about union presidents as my late dear aunt ended her career as pres. of her local. I remember my dad hated it when he was promoted to management; it really isn’t fair.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance