New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I think we had it a bit worse with the second. But it happened quicker and was over faster.

Kind of the same here.

1st shot - bad arm pain for 3 days, then it took a week to trail off to none. Fever up to 101 F for 3 days. Malaise for 3 days. All over skin sensitivity/pain for 3 days. It was all very flu-like but no congestion or cough.

2nd shot - less arm pain, higher fever (102 F), less malaise, less skin sensitivity and for only 1-2 days.

Just got my first shot - $30. Tried back in November at Kroger, but they told me they had none in stock and not even taking names until after Christmas because their list was so long. Went just now to put my name on the list and they had some in stock and gave me a shot. Here's hoping for a mild reaction. I got the flu and pneumonia shots back in November and felt horrible for 2 days :(

No symptoms either way from second shot last week.

Good to hear. I had the same flu like feeling from the 2nd shot as the first shot for a half day, but the arm pain was less.
Hopefully done with this aspect for a long time.

Got my second Shingrix shot this morning and hoping for a minimum of side effects. So far the arm is getting sore so hope that is the extent of it. No cost to me under my medicare advantage plan.

Close friend has had shingles for 2 months. Non-stop excruciating pain. It (the pain) is only now just beginning to subside and we don't know If he'll have lasting nerve damage.

If you're on the fence about getting immunized, I've seen first hand that shingles can be pure torture. You may have a mild case, or you may end up with a very bad one.

Had my 2nd shot 2 days ago. My arm still hurts and the flu symptoms have just now subsided. within 10 hours after this 2nd shot I felt like crap; nausea, muscle aches, etc. I felt like a 90 year old man. Feeling better tonight but still not much appetite.

Close friend has had shingles for 2 months. Non-stop excruciating pain. It (the pain) is only now just beginning to subside and we don't know If he'll have lasting nerve damage.

If you're on the fence about getting immunized, I've seen first hand that shingles can be pure torture. You may have a mild case, or you may end up with a very bad one.

+1.

I share this frequently to help any fence-sitters out there: My mom had shingles in February 2015 and still has pain five years later. It frequently disturbs her sleep, and she hasn't been able to wear a bra since the attack (which, for a well-endowed 90-year old woman, is uncomfortable in many ways).

I had bad reactions to both Shingrix shots, but they passed. Postherpetic neuralgia might never go away.

I got my 2nd shot on 1/23/20, 2 months and about 10 days after my first shot. I had to wait an extra week or so because I was on an antibiotic. I called the pharmacy to ask about that and they said to wait until I was done with the antibiotic before getting the Shingrix. I don't know if that's official protocol or just them being cautious.

I had the typical sore spot on my arm and a little redness for just a few days and that arm was tender. To me, it was about the same as my yearly flu shot, nothing to complain about!

I'm so glad that I was able to get both shots completed while I was still on ObamaCare. These were priced at $165 each and were covered at 100% as part of the preventative coverage. If I would have waited until I was on Medicare (starts tomorrow!!!! YEAH) I would have had to pay something substantial for these.

I've seen so many posts about how horrible shingles can be and if I had to I would have paid for these vaccines, but I was able to get them while it was covered at 100%.

Last edited:

That’s what encouraged us to get the Zostavax in our 50s. Seeing an elderly friend suffer greatly.

We have had the Zostavax and both Shingrix, so we should be pretty well covered. Shingles can be a very painful and dangerous (depending on site) virus.

I got my 2nd shot on 1/23/20, 2 months and about 10 days after my first shot. I had to wait an extra week or so because I was on an antibiotic. I called the pharmacy to ask about that and they said to wait until I was done with the antibiotic before getting the Shingrix. I don't know if that's official protocol or just them being cautious.

I had the typical sore spot on my arm and a little redness for just a few days and that arm was tender. To me, it was about the same as my yearly flu shot, nothing to complain about!

I'm so glad that I was able to get both shots completed while I was still on ObamaCare. These were priced at $165 each and were covered at 100% as part of the preventative coverage. If I would have waited until I was on Medicare (starts tomorrow!!!! YEAH) I would have had to pay something substantial for these.

I've seen so many posts about how horrible shingles can be and if I had to I would have paid for these vaccines, but I was able to get them while it was covered at 100%.

Same for me. Another plus for the ACA. My DGF paid 35 per shot on a MA plan.

Kaiser in Washington state covered my two Shingrix shots: $0 charge. But considering the astronomical amount I'm charged in monthly premiums (unsubsidized), I'm not going to say it was free.

Got my first shot last month... my arm was sore as heck and I felt pretty bad...

But, that might be due to me getting the flu and pneumonia shot at the same time in my other arm... both arms were useless for 2 days...

My doctor finally gave me a prescription for it so I need to get it done. Is it still in short supply? Is the best place to get it a drug store? My doc said he doesn’t stock it.

My doctor finally gave me a prescription for it so I need to get it done. Is it still in short supply? Is the best place to get it a drug store? My doc said he doesn’t stock it.

We received ours at Walgreen's. They had a lot of supply and our doctor doesn't keep it on site either.

I didn’t need a prescription. I guess that depends on the state.

Yes, talk to your local drug stores. We used Costco.

Ok thanks. Almost every drug store around here carries it, although when I called Rite Aid today, they said they only had one and I wasn’t ready to rush over and get it today based on what I’ve read about potential side effects. I want to find a few days when I can be under the weather in case I get the flu-like symptoms some experience.

Got my first shot last month... my arm was sore as heck and I felt pretty bad...

But, that might be due to me getting the flu and pneumonia shot at the same time in my other arm... both arms were useless for 2 days...

I had a flu/Shingrix combination October 2018. I also thought that it was the combo that made me feel lethargic & generally punky. I had the second shot January 2019. Still felt bad for a couple of days, YMMV.

I just had my second shot today and the shot itself hurt a lot more than the first one did. We shall see on the side effects.

Got my first shingles shot yesterday. 2nd one in 2 months. I have had shingles and my brother in law currently has it. It is pain like fire so definitely recommend get your shots ASAP.

Shot #2 about 48 hrs ago. On the other arm I had a tetanus. 10 yrs on that was up in January. Tech said they use different arms in case of a reaction. Even if I had the downside from the shot last me the rest of my life, it would not be the hell my Dad endured with Shingles.

Some info for Tricare For Life. It is covered, but only if given in a doctors office. Also, deductible apply. When I got the first shingles vaccine, not Shringx, it cost me $300 deductible! I understand it is $280 at CVS for both shots. I have not checked on availability yet.

I'm scheduled for my second shot in 2 weeks, but I'm travelling to Montreal (via LGA)next week. I'm debating delaying the second shot to verify I am Coronavirus/flu free before I challenge my immune system.

Some info for Tricare For Life. It is covered, but only if given in a doctors office. Also, deductible apply. When I got the first shingles vaccine, not Shringx, it cost me $300 deductible! I understand it is $280 at CVS for both shots. I have not checked on availability yet.

You were given bad information. I walked into my local supermarket pharmacy last year and got it at no charge. TFL here as well.

Back
Top Bottom