New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

My area has had a severe widespread shortage. So far I haven't been able to find any place including the large VA clinic that has the vaccine in stock. VA is holding what they do have for vets 70 and over, or with severe underlying conditions.

Now that we use GoodRx for some meds I'm wondering if the cost of the vaccine varies as much as the cost of meds. I'm on Medicare with a regular supplement and a basic Part D plan. Does it matter much where I get the vaccine? My DH will go to the VA he turned 70 since his last physical and hopefully will get it on his next visit.

We've been on a waiting list for our first shots for several months. Last week we were told it'd be January 2020 before more vaccine came in.

Wondering if it'd be worthwhile for DH, who will be 60 in July, to get the Zostavax shot in the meantime.

From https://www.healthline.com/health-news/shingle-vaccine-shortage#Why-is-there-a-shortage?-

"If you previously received Zostavax it’s actually recommended that you get both doses of the Shingrix vaccine because it’s more effective. Likewise, if you are unable to locate Shingrix because of the current shortage, getting Zostavax in the meantime should provide some protection."

We've been on a waiting list for our first shots for several months. Last week we were told it'd be January 2020 before more vaccine came in.

Wondering if it'd be worthwhile for DH, who will be 60 in July, to get the Zostavax shot in the meantime.

From https://www.healthline.com/health-news/shingle-vaccine-shortage#Why-is-there-a-shortage?-

"If you previously received Zostavax it’s actually recommended that you get both doses of the Shingrix vaccine because it’s more effective. Likewise, if you are unable to locate Shingrix because of the current shortage, getting Zostavax in the meantime should provide some protection."

Maybe you have called around all in-network pharmacies within 10 miles from where you live. If you have not, find out from your insurance which pharmacies are in-network, and start calling.

In my case, I called Costco, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, eventually found one Walgreens for me, and one CVS for DW, that carries Shingrix.

My area has had a severe widespread shortage. So far I haven't been able to find any place including the large VA clinic that has the vaccine in stock. VA is holding what they do have for vets 70 and over, or with severe underlying conditions.

Now that we use GoodRx for some meds I'm wondering if the cost of the vaccine varies as much as the cost of meds. I'm on Medicare with a regular supplement and a basic Part D plan. Does it matter much where I get the vaccine? My DH will go to the VA he turned 70 since his last physical and hopefully will get it on his next visit.

DH had the old shingles vaccine and his doc recently recommended the Shingrix for him, which he got, although it isn’t covered under Medicare or his part D, so paid $261. GoodRX will bring the second shot down to $150, and I’ll suggest he call the VA too to see if that’s an option.

I got the old shot too and will just take my chances.

YES, definitely get the Zostavax. You can have both vaccines, and at least the Zostavax is on board while you wait for the shingrix.

I just finished getting my second Shingrix shot. I had to travel 3 hours to find it in the mountains (was going to the mountains anyway so it worked out). My part D (Silverscript) paid for half of it (each shot was $160, I had to pay $80). I was fortunate that the Walgreens where I got the shots were in network under my Part D, this saved me some money.

I found that availability varies greatly by area and smaller rural towns seem to have more availability, probably people in those areas are not flocking to get the shots like they do in the more urban areas.

My local pharmacy called me yesterday and today to let me know they have the vaccine.

I’m in the process of starting with a new PCP though and want to go over it first so I am delaying for now.

My local pharmacy called me yesterday and today to let me know they have the vaccine.

A clinic I'd called months ago looking for the vaccine called me yesterday to say they "finally" got some in. Maybe the supply is finally starting to catch up with demand?

I called the Safeway where I got my first shot 6 months ago to see if another location might have some. The pharmacist told me "Oh we haven't gotten around to calling the list of people waiting, yes I have 3 doses, I'll put your name on one of them."

So much for a waiting list!

I had the first shot in January. That shingles vaccine packs a wallop, FYI! I'm a pretty healthy guy...but I got short term fever and chills within a couple of hours and had to go to bed. I was fine by the next morning. One of my brothers had the exact same experience. YMMV!

I got the second shot yesterday. The first one was just a slightly sore arm for about three days. This second one did me in. I was fine yesterday afternoon and evening, but today I feel like I got smacked with flu.

I paid $47 for each shot. I have Medicare Advantage through Humanna. The local Kroger affiliate reserved the second shot for me when I got the first. I was on their waiting list for the first shot for a couple of months. He said their waiting list is up to 150 people now.

DH and I have had both shots, sore arms and a slight headache but no real side effects. NOTHING as bad as having the shingles which was a life changing experience for me, 17 years of pain so far. To those of you considering whether or not to get the Shingrix shots please do not let the possibility of a few days of side effects stop you from getting it. Singles can cause lifelong pain and disabilities or even kill you.

I'm starting to feel better already. I was feeling bad for about 8 hours. I think the worst has past. If I never get shingles, it will easily be worth it.

DH and I have had both shots, sore arms and a slight headache but no real side effects. NOTHING as bad as having the shingles which was a life changing experience for me, 17 years of pain so far. To those of you considering whether or not to get the Shingrix shots please do not let the possibility of a few days of side effects stop you from getting it. Singles can cause lifelong pain and disabilities or even kill you.
Did you have the first/old vaccine before your shingles?

Did you have the first/old vaccine before your shingles?

No I did not have the old shingles vaccine before I got a terrible case of shingles. It was 17 years ago and I was age 50 and not eligible for the vaccine (maybe they did not even have the shingles vaccine 17 years ago, I had never heard of it). The shingles was the worst pain i had ever had, I was out of work for a month, ran a temperature for 3 weeks. Could not play golf for a year. I still have some pain around my waist where the outbreak was. I got the old shingles shot at age 60, still got another case of shingles at age 63 but it was a much milder case. I have now had both Shingrix shots and I hope they are correct about it being 95% effective.

No I did not have the old shingles vaccine before I got a terrible case of shingles. It was 17 years ago and I was age 50 and not eligible for the vaccine (maybe they did not even have the shingles vaccine 17 years ago, I had never heard of it). The shingles was the worst pain i had ever had, I was out of work for a month, ran a temperature for 3 weeks. Could not play golf for a year. I still have some pain around my waist where the outbreak was. I got the old shingles shot at age 60, still got another case of shingles at age 63 but it was a much milder case. I have now had both Shingrix shots and I hope they are correct about it being 95% effective.

I just looked it up, the old shingles vaccine was first approved in 2006 but you could get it only if you were 60 or older. So when I got shingles in 2002 there was no shingles vaccine available.

I am surprised about what seems to be regional shortages & the wide price range for those with insurance or Medicare. My insurance company(Kaiser) believes that vaccinations are much cheaper than treating the disease.

I just had a phone call from the local Kroger pharmacy. I got a Shingrx shot there in February and they were calling to let me know they just got a new shipment in so they could give me the second shot at my convenience.

Actually the one I got there was #2 (I got the first one elsewhere last fall) but they didn't know that.

So at least some pharmacies are being proactive. I was very impressed.

interesting. When we got our first one at Rite Aid it was delayed by a few months. They told us they would not schedule anyone for the first shot until they were certain when the second batch would come in. They then reserved the second batch for people who they had given the first shot and gave the leftovers to people needing a first shot.

Ray

I got round 2 Wednesday. Like Hermit above described, headaches, fever, and some muscle soreness. This time the muscle soreness was in the legs, after shot 1 soreness was in neck/back and legs. I slept a lot. As far as arm soreness, only when somebody touches the shot area.

The tinnitus which I first experienced the day after I got the Shingrix shot has unfortunately returned, as my ENT warned might happen. It returned last week and this time it has not gone away. The idea that I may have to live with this forever is depressing.

No reaction to either the first or second shot except for mild arm soreness for 1 or 2 days.

The tinnitus which I first experienced the day after I got the Shingrix shot has unfortunately returned, as my ENT warned might happen. It returned last week and this time it has not gone away. The idea that I may have to live with this forever is depressing.

Sorry this happened again ..maybe it will lessen or go away, does this in any way change your feelings that the vaccine was probably the reason it happened?

Sorry this happened again ..maybe it will lessen or go away, does this in any way change your feelings that the vaccine was probably the reason it happened?
Absolutely not. The data I uncovered in my search in the VAERS database eliminated any doubt I had that my deafness and tinnitus were indeed a direct result of the Shingrix vaccine. It wasn't just the high percentage of deafness cases which occurred following the Shingrix vaccine out of the deafness cases following all vaccines. It was also the descriptions of the symptoms among those who attributed their deafness to the Shingrix vaccine. There was a consistent pattern of the symptoms beginning within 24 hours of having received the vaccine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom