What are you rebalancing now?

I did a little bit of nibbling at Emerging market yesterday. Last time I sold VWO, it was $45, now it’s around $40+.

Mainly deploying idle cash into treasuries and CDs. Will be deploying some of my stock allocation back into emerging markets and Europe.

Also will transfer some stock to charity soon.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are two kinds of rebalancers on this thread:

1. Those like me and W2R and pb4uski and others who have a predefined AA and just rebalance to that AA periodically. We probably would call ourselves passive investors or indexers.

2. People who use rebalancing as somewhat of a euphemism for active trading, possibly around the edges. Perhaps gcgang, Montecfo, copyright1997reloaded?

Personally I wonder what people in the second category would consider to be their target AA and how frequently that changes/drifts/adjusts. My guess for the latter half of that question would be nearly constantly in some cases.

No judgments, just curiosity.

Even though I rebalanced equities recently, I'm slightly overweight in equities again as a result of market gains but less than 1% so I'm standing pat for now.

I view frequent rebalancing as taking a little gains off the table so less is exposed to the inevitable bear.

I prefer to wait a year before rebalancing, so that the different asset classes have time to diverge. So I tend to do it in Jan when I am withdrawing my annual income. I usually have considerable capital gains distributions in Dec anyway, that do most of the work for me in an up equity market year.

Exception: a large correction or bear market during the year that gets my allocation 8-10% out of whack.

I tend to take some money from individual stock picks off the table when the stock has more than doubled and has gone logarithmically. Two I am pruning are MED, and SYY.

My goals are to invest part to more than make up the dividends lost, get some new passive income, and maybe buy into a fallen sector, or fallen angel stock.

Mostly I rebalance by putting new cash flow into areas I am a bit low in. Have read that Asia and Russia are hurting, so maybe time to look there again.

I tend to take some money from individual stock picks off the table when the stock has more than doubled and has gone logarithmically. Two I am pruning are MED, and SYY.

My goals are to invest part to more than make up the dividends lost, get some new passive income, and maybe buy into a fallen sector, or fallen angel stock.

Mostly I rebalance by putting new cash flow into areas I am a bit low in. Have read that Asia and Russia are hurting, so maybe time to look there again.

During the accumulation phase this is absolutely the way to go. Put your cash in the whichever are the laggards at any given time.

Still, there may come a sudden large change in asset valuation such that doing a rebalance between assets makes sense as well.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are two kinds of rebalancers on this thread:

1. Those like me and W2R and pb4uski and others who have a predefined AA and just rebalance to that AA periodically. We probably would call ourselves passive investors or indexers.

2. People who use rebalancing as somewhat of a euphemism for active trading, possibly around the edges. Perhaps gcgang, Montecfo, copyright1997reloaded?

Personally I wonder what people in the second category would consider to be their target AA and how frequently that changes/drifts/adjusts. My guess for the latter half of that question would be nearly constantly in some cases.

i do have an AA plan , however the current economic scenario , makes that plan unattractive , so currently all i can do is tweak the assets i have and try to devise a better plan , so irregular moves as opportunities appear is what i am currently doing ,
HOWEVER had the crash happened in 2013 ( when i thought it might have ) i would have been very close to the original plan ( but bonds redeem and mature , don't they ??)

i still ideally need to increase my asset base in case predictions of my demise are premature , if they aren't, i am keeping amused until the prophesies are fulfilled , not a totally bad place to be .

unless the doctors opt for a heart transplant , i am not going back to any real work , that much i understand ( so will have big restrictions on future income )

My target AA has equities at 45%.

I rebalance during the first week in January, after withdrawing my year's spending money. I also rebalance if my equities drift below 42.5%, or above 47.5%.

Right now, my equities fraction is 45.54%. So far, so good. No rebalancing needed.

I don't know if this is considered rebalancing, but I'm increasing certain areas of my portfolio such as mid/small cap stocks, foreign stocks and growth stocks--all with Vanguard ETFs. I've been a bit hesitant about making these moves because the last time that I did this was about three months before the Great Recession began.

I don't know if this is considered rebalancing, but I'm increasing certain areas of my portfolio such as mid/small cap stocks, foreign stocks and growth stocks--all with Vanguard ETFs. I've been a bit hesitant about making these moves because the last time that I did this was about three months before the Great Recession began.

No, that is not rebalancing, it’s changing your asset allocation. What you are practicing is Tactical Asset Allocation, increasing the allocation to areas you perceive as undervalued.

Did somebody call me? :)

Yes, I guess I fall into the category of flexible in terms of asset allocation. I track it pretty carefully, but am fine and dandy with trading around the edges of my allocation. It's weird, I have a whole bunch of things that I've owned very long term, but I also buy and sell things along the way. (For the morbidly curious I am about 66% equities at the moment and I sold a little bit last week, but am also considering buying a bit of emerging markets.) But all of this 'trading' makes up a very small portion of my overall pie.

I would call myself a conservative market timer. If I thought we were going to the moon, I might push my asset allocation up to 70% or if I was going hog wild, 75%. If I thought we were at the end of the expansion, maybe bring it down a whole bunch, to 55-60%.

No, that is not rebalancing, it’s changing your asset allocation. What you are practicing is Tactical Asset Allocation, increasing the allocation to areas you perceive as undervalued.

Thanks. And, now I know. Actually, I think I may have known that at one time. But, that time has passed. Kind of like last week (or so) when I forgot that Wellesley and Wellington weren't index funds.

Prior to the last election, my prediction was that the "other" candidate would win. I moved heavier into large growth mutual funds. The reasons: 1) Large companies were tending to contribute to that party, 2) Large companies can survive the regulatory onslaught. I think they actually prefer overbearing regulations since it wipes out competition from smaller companies.
Then the election happened and all the indices tumbled the next morning. My thinking was that the victor, based on what he was saying, would favor small as well as large companies (taxes, regulations).
I immediately re-balanced to small cap mutual funds, but kept about 25% of the equities in large caps. Small caps, which were hammered before the election have been outperforming large caps since then.
I will keep an eye on the the next election results.

I see no reason to get into anything other than short term bonds while interest rates are rising. Short term bond funds might be a good temporary parking lot for asset preservation.

Prior to the last election, my prediction was that the "other" candidate would win. I moved heavier into large growth mutual funds. The reasons: 1) Large companies were tending to contribute to that party, 2) Large companies can survive the regulatory onslaught. I think they actually prefer overbearing regulations since it wipes out competition from smaller companies.
Then the election happened and all the indices tumbled the next morning. My thinking was that the victor, based on what he was saying, would favor small as well as large companies (taxes, regulations).
I immediately re-balanced to small cap mutual funds, but kept about 25% of the equities in large caps. Small caps, which were hammered before the election have been outperforming large caps since then.
I will keep an eye on the the next election results.

I see no reason to get into anything other than short term bonds while interest rates are rising. Short term bond funds might be a good temporary parking lot for asset preservation.

For curiosity sake, I just ran a scan on my portfolio of % change from 11/8/2016 to now. The top winners:
CC +98%
AAPL +97%
MSFT +86%
MAR +77%

These don't look like small cap's to me.

Back
Top Bottom