Biggest destination disappointment

I have several

1. Jamaica - Like others have said, my hotel felt like a prison. Security told us not to leave the property for our safety. Did a couple times anyway only to be hounded to buy beads, drugs, etc. Why go there when places like Grand Cayman exist?

2. Honolulu - I hate to say it because I do love Hawaii, but it's like Miami beach with nicer water. I wan't exactly miserable there don't get me wrong, and the food was better than the other islands

For something positive, how about places better than you ever expected? - My vote is Alaska!

I have several

1. Jamaica - Like others have said, my hotel felt like a prison. Security told us not to leave the property for our safety. Did a couple times anyway only to be hounded to buy beads, drugs, etc. Why go there when places like Grand Cayman exist?

2. Honolulu - I hate to say it because I do love Hawaii, but it's like Miami beach with nicer water. I wan't exactly miserable there don't get me wrong, and the food was better than the other islands

For something positive, how about places better than you ever expected? - My vote is Alaska!

+1 on both Jamaica and Hinolulu - the two most disappointing

better than I ever expected? Hands down - New Zealand and Antarctica

Better than expected?

Venice, Italy! I had heard all kinds of horror stories, so had very low expectations. But I thought it was wonderful!

I love art, architecture and history and Venice brought the three together in such an amazing way.

Better than expected:

Guadalajara, Mexico. Very rich colonial culture and architecture. Close to Tequila, which was well worth a visit.

Chile (all of). Didn't know what to expect, and was very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful country, lovely people, very diverse, modern.

+ Dubrovnik - Complete surprise. Loved the architecture and its location on the Adriatic.

+ Ville Franche - Wonderful quaint little seaport yet a short train ride to both Monaco and Nice.

Biggest disappointment--Afghanistan. Who knew that it would be hot, dusty and decidedly third world? I know that I was shocked...:cool:

I had to think about this one for awhile.
Biggest disappointment - the pyramids at Giza - You walk around them and you can not help thinking 'all they did was pile rocks on top of each other.' After that I didn't really care about how they did it or why. The Valley of the Kings was interesting.

Better than expected - Nepal - this was 25 years ago, so I'm guessing it changed some.

Denali Today

Here is what Denali looked like today. The vertical rise you see is about 18,000 feet. Amazing

Attachments

• P8240851.JPG
    P8240851.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 5
Vegas.... I am not a gambler.

I am glad I went just to see it. We enjoyed some of the shows... but if we ever return, it would only be for a day or two... passing through.

Got down to Key West for the first time and I thought it was a bit run down. Also a bit tourist trap, I guess I sorta figured that but was expecting more.

Got down to Key West for the first time and I thought it was a bit run down. Also a bit tourist trap, I guess I sorta figured that but was expecting more.
I think a lot of Fla is like that.

Got down to Key West for the first time and I thought it was a bit run down.
Are the property-tax assessments still based on the exterior condition of the home? I'd heard years ago that the assessors weren't allowed to consider the resale values or interior condition, only the exterior. The worse the home looked from the outside, the lower the property tax.

Either that or nobody bothers to fix up their homes until hurricane season is past...

No, they consider the resale value but I've learned something new this year. Everyone will still pay taxes based on when they got here but in the end it all makes no difference. They just change the tax rate so they get what they want out of you. All the agencies in Florida blame each other for it and you can never get to anyone who makes the decisions.

They win, I gave up trying to figure what they base anything on in Florida.

Undiscovered, the walled city of Lucca in Tuscany. Birthplace of Puccini:

Unfair to get me drooling on a "how sucky does it get?" thread.:D I'll have to check the calendar to see when the Butterfly tix come up. That video goes great with the first cup.

Okay what was odd about Italy would be okay now. I took my java black back then and got some odd espressos in miniature cups. I've heard they do a better job if you ask for a latte.

San Francisco. I had been there many times but always stayed somewhere outside the city. This time I stayed in the Holiday Inn by Fishermans Wharf; the first sign there would be a problem was when the told us to carry our luggage across the street from the hotel to the other building. Was accosted by two different panhandlers before we even got to our room. People screaming in the halls all night, smoke from somebody illegally smoking in the hallway. Parking was $40 a night in the hotel parking lot. I knew the Fishermans Wharf area could be touristy and tacky but wanted to be near the ferries. I would definitely stay somewhere outside of the city next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom