What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

DW and I had read some of the books, shook our heads at portraying Reacher with a 5'7" Tom Cruise in the movies, and then we binge watched the series this week/weekend. It was a fun diversion. No spoilers I will leave it at that :)

I loved this show. I watched 2 episodes a night last week until I finished it because I just enjoyed watching it so much.
Love the guy who plays Reacher. I think he did a great job. Also very easy to watch. [emoji6]

I’ve watched several of these on Brit Box and they are top notch. The Brits do crime and,police dramas the best.

I’m halfway through Season 1 of another Brit Box series, “Hope Street.” (From 2020). A different take on a Police show, with a bit of humor (It’s actually listed as a comedy but I wouldn’t call it that). Takes place in a small close knit town in Ireland with some clever crimes being solved and an underlying story line of a “new” officer
Who joins the force from England. Plenty of other continuing plot lines running through the episodes. Another worthwhile Brit series to check out.
Thanks, I have a great long list I'm keeping.
My problem is indecision sometimes so if I have a bunch of recommended, that makes it so much easier.

One thing from Rome that I hadn’t understood before was the strategic importance of Egypt. Egypt was Europe’s breadbasket and as such Rome had to prop up this ancient decaying empire.

We e travelled a lot of the Roman ruins in southern France where a Julius Caesar spent a lot of time.

Rome series on HBO made be book my first trip there.

Of course ancient Rome is nothing like modern Rome.

Actually another movie which was inspiring was Besieged, directed by Bertolucci and starring David Thewliss and Thandie Newton.

It took place mostly in a mansion which looked over the Spanish Steps on one side and the alley that led to the metro station on the other side.

They had the whole run of the place so it was several stories high and they could look at the whole Spanish Steps.

They must have filmed at a hotel or museum or something over there. Because it would be cool to stay in such a place, though I learned there are better areas to stay in Rome.

I booked the Intercontinental which is near the Spanish Steps. But it was through Priceline so I didn't know which hotel or where it would be.

Didn't know a word of Italian. The hotel staff of course spoke English but they said "grazie" and "prego" a lot, figuring even non-Italian workers would know those words.

I was wondering why they were referring to bottled spaghetti sauce so much.:LOL:

"The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window."

Eight part mini series, 30 minutes each, on Netflix. Supposed to be a satirical take on the voyeuristic nosy female neighbor murder mystery genre (yes, this is a thing) but the jokes are obtuse and the pacing is glacial. Have seen first four episodes and do not want to continue but wife is insisting. Kirsten Bell stars and does an admirable job with a lousy script.

When you get to the end of that show can you explain the last episode to me? Still confused.

Eight part mini series, 30 minutes each, on Netflix. Supposed to be a satirical take on the voyeuristic nosy female neighbor murder mystery genre (yes, this is a thing) but the jokes are obtuse and the pacing is glacial. Have seen first four episodes and do not want to continue but wife is insisting. Kirsten Bell stars and does an admirable job with a lousy script.

I liked this show. I'd say stick with it.

I guess I’m late to this one, but we’ve been enjoying Star Trek: Picard on Paramount+. Three episodes in and I look forward to the next one. I saw an ad the other day that a new season is coming soon.

I watched all of Only Murders in the Building last weekend. It goes quickly since episodes are only 30 minutes long.

It was clever and funny and surprised me in spots. I recommend it.

I guess I’m late to this one, but we’ve been enjoying Star Trek: Picard on Paramount+. Three episodes in and I look forward to the next one. I saw an ad the other day that a new season is coming soon.

I liked Picard also and am looking forward to the next one too. I also enjoyed the new Star Trek series Discovery on Paramount Plus. I love all the Star Trek series and I think they are all now on Paramount Plus.

Madame Blanc Mysteries. If you liked Agatha Raisin and Shakespear & Hathaway, you will like Madame Blanc. Whimsical crime drama, episodic with an underlying story.

We watched 1.5 shows. Just couldn't get into it.

When you get to the end of that show can you explain the last episode to me? Still confused.

Finished it yesterday. I can't comment in an open forum because of spoilers. If you private message me with your questions I will attempt to answer them.

I liked this show. I'd say stick with it.

Finished it yesterday. This was the dumbest TV I've watched in quite some time. It wasn't a comedy and it wasn't a thriller. It just kind of flailed around trying to find a purpose and failing.

It wasn't a comedy because the jokes were in-jokes apparently directed at professional screenwriters and TV production people. Most of the jokes were the gaping plot holes that would have never gotten past a first script read. The rest were repeating the worn out tropes of this genre with glee. Apparently it's saying, "look how funny I think I am by serving up stale stereotypes of bad movies."

Exhibit A: The epitaph(s) on the gravestone(s).

It wasn't a thriller because the gaping plot holes made it impossible to take it seriously as a thriller.

Thus the problem with the show--the plot holes ruined it from being funny or being taken seriously.

I watched all of Only Murders in the Building last weekend. It goes quickly since episodes are only 30 minutes long.

It was clever and funny and surprised me in spots. I recommend it.

I haven't finished it yet. All I can say is that I bet Jessica Fletcher is buried somewhere in the foundation of that building. :D

Lucky you. I watched the whole thing and I wish I could go back in time and relive those 4 hours by watching someone knitting.

These days, if a show doesn't hook us in 2 episodes, we usually move on. There are simply too many choices out there and I don't want to spend 5 hours a day watching TV.

We got Peacock Premium for a month. Super Bowl + Winter Olympics + Season 3 of Mr. Mercedes for five bucks. What a deal! If you’ve read the Mr. Mercedes books, the TV show is just as good. The first two seasons are free on Peacock. Stephen King even puts in a very special appearance in a Season 1 episode.

We got Peacock Premium for a month. Super Bowl + Winter Olympics + Season 3 of Mr. Mercedes for five bucks. What a deal! If you’ve read the Mr. Mercedes books, the TV show is just as good. The first two seasons are free on Peacock. Stephen King even puts in a very special appearance in a Season 1 episode.
Thanks Phroig,
We got Peacock recently too, just so my visiting brother-in-law could watch the super bowl.
We will try Mr.Mercedes.
JP

Started watching “Inventing Anna” on Netflix. A Shonda Rhimes series (9 episodes) starring Julia Garner (Ruth Langmore from Ozark) in the title role.
Still early on in the series but it is an interesting (based on a true) story about an “aristocrat” or con artist who captivated NYC and a reporter determined to get the true story.

Started watching “Inventing Anna” on Netflix. A Shonda Rhimes series (9 episodes) starring Julia Garner (Ruth Langmore from Ozark) in the title role.
Still early on in the series but it is an interesting (based on a true) story about an “aristocrat” or con artist who captivated NYC and a reporter determined to get the true story.

we have no idea who Shonda Rhimes is but we liked Julia Garner in Ozark so we'll give Inventing Anna a try.

Just finished Andromeda Strain (Tubi) and enjoyed it. Just started The Head (HBO MAX). so far, so good.

I found Inventing Anna very entertaining although I kept thinking that it was Ruth Langmore with haute couture and weird European accent..

we have no idea who Shonda Rhimes is but we liked Julia Garner in Ozark so we'll give Inventing Anna a try.

Shonda Rhimes created and was the head writer and executive producer of Grey's Anatomy. She also created the show Scandal. I didn't watch either, but I gather that they were popular. I do like Ozark, so I'll probably give Inventing Anna a watch, too.

I just finished watching Chernobyl on HBO Max. Really well done, even if not perfectly historically accurate.

Not afraid to admit I am watching the 2nd season of Love Is Blind on netflix.

It's total trash, everyone is terrible, but watching pretty people being stupid is a guilty pleasure. (it's just as good, and bad, as the first season)

Back
Top Bottom