What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I don't know...I think this might be the new norm in the streaming world. Netflix announced there will be two more seasons of Stranger Things and the next season will be released as two separate "volumes" on different dates. I am not a fan of this method of release. Nonetheless, we are just waiting for part two of the last Ozark season to be released before we watch part one.

Honestly, as nice as it is to binge, the weekly episode HBO way seems to be winning. The succession/mare/etc., episodes create social media, water cooler chatter every week, for 8-10 weeks. With really good TV, I like to "sit" with an episode, let it rattle around my head - absorb it, remember things and put together things that didn't pop out the moment I watched, and wouldn't have a chance to if I plunged straight into the next one.

Like a really good book, a chapter a night, then have the characters in your head for a day or two before going back for more.

Just wrapped up Around the World in 80 Days on Masterpiece . A creative and engaging re-imagining of Verne's adventure story. David Tennant is perfect as Fogg and the supporting cast excellent. Can be streamed on PBS

Just wrapped up Around the World in 80 Days on Masterpiece . A creative and engaging re-imagining of Verne's adventure story. David Tennant is perfect as Fogg and the supporting cast excellent. Can be streamed on PBS

Loved Around the World in 80 days. Also loved All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. It would be worth the $5/month PBS Passport just to watch these 2 series (plus all the other wonderful stuff on PBS Passport).

Honestly, as nice as it is to binge, the weekly episode HBO way seems to be winning. The succession/mare/etc., episodes create social media, water cooler chatter every week, for 8-10 weeks. With really good TV, I like to "sit" with an episode, let it rattle around my head - absorb it, remember things and put together things that didn't pop out the moment I watched, and wouldn't have a chance to if I plunged straight into the next one.

Like a really good book, a chapter a night, then have the characters in your head for a day or two before going back for more.

Honestly, we don't "binge" in the classic sense (although can it really be classic this early on?) but I like having all the episodes ready to go "on demand" if you will. We tend to start two or three shows at a time and then watch one or two a day...so it does take a while to get through them all. What I do NOT like is when watching a series that hasn't concluded (a season) and they leave you wanting more. HBO/SHOWTIME are very good at this and well...I am not a fan. Since I am not w*rking, there is no water cooler to discuss. :D

I see that AMZN's "Upload" season 2 will be out next month and Showtime's "Your Honor" is also coming back and we are very much looking forward to both, but will still wait until the entire seasons are available to watch before starting.

We’ve watched 4 episodes of The Gilded Age on HBOMax and we’re enjoying it. But we’ve always been fascinated with the incredible rise and precipitous fall of the Vanderbilt fortune since DW grew up near their Newport Mansions. The show uses fictional characters to retell how the newly super wealthy of the era broke into established society. All the actual famous families from the era are mentioned (Vanderbilt, Morgan, Carnegie) in passing but so far the only central character who has appeared by actual name is Mrs. Astor. The leading character “Mrs. Russell” is loosely based on Alva Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Loved Around the World in 80 days. Also loved All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. It would be worth the $5/month PBS Passport just to watch these 2 series (plus all the other wonderful stuff on PBS Passport).

Couldn’t agree more.
I wish they would make All Creatures a weekly show. We just love the characters.

Couldn’t agree more.
I wish they would make All Creatures a weekly show. We just love the characters.

We inadvertently came across this show while channel surfing and watched a little bit of it and it seemed to be quite a delightful show. I had no idea on the premise but now it's on the "list" of shows to watch.

I've never been one to binge watch anything, in fact I didn't even have Netflix until last summer when I found out it was included as part of my cell phone service.

But I recently started watching Ozark on Netflix and am hooked. Currently up to Season 4, Episode 2.

Not a new series, but new-to-me: I just started watching Murdoch Mysteries on Acorn TV.

The first 14 seasons are on Acorn now, and episodes for season 15 will begin on Feb. 28th.

It's very enjoyable, and what I consider a good "treadmill show" to pass the time while I put in my miles. Diverting and entertaining, with some interesting turn-of-the-century atmosphere. (The first season commences in 1895 Toronto, and follows a detective as he solves tricky cases). Some of the "science" depicted is a bit ahead of its time, but that's ok - I'm not looking for strict historical accuracy, I'm looking for entertainment! :D

Watched one episode of The Gilded Age, the Americanized Downton Abbey. Doubt I’ll watch anymore.
Going to check out Love is Blind. I know what to expect, and I am here for it.

I like to watch a really good show one episode a night until I finish that season or seasons.
I only binge watch- multiple episodes in a day if it’s an exceptional show or if I’m sick and laid up.
I despise having to wait for an episode a week. I never was one to follow a show every week. I have the attention span of a gnat. I forget about them if I have to wait.
Only exception is the Walking Dead. I puffy heart that show.
I never recorded shows- I was made for the current technology of streaming and on demand.

The Afterparty on Apple TV.

Gen Y murder mystery set at a party held after the group's 15 year high school reunion (2006). The show's format is an hour and a half opening episode that introduces the characters and sets up the premise of the murder while subsequent episodes are 30 to 40 minutes long and feature a detective questioning the suspects.

Each episode after the pilot takes the point of view of the suspect/character being questioned and as each character relates their story it results in disparate accounts of what had just happened. The dialogue is snappy--too snappy (think the screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's)--and the POV of the characters influence the tone of each episode. Thus, the character that fancies he's a musician has several musical numbers built in; the character the thinks she's an artist is an animated episode; the episode with the character that thinks he's a tough guy takes the tone of a spy action thriller. You get the idea.

As a murder mystery, forget it, I watch a lot of murder mysteries but there is no way to "solve" this one since the facts of the story are elastic. (I do have a guess as to the murderer.) As a character study it is just barely holding my interest. These people are annoyingly smug. I guess I'm still hanging in there to see which kind of a theme will be used by the director for each character.

Last edited:
I found Inventing Anna very entertaining although I kept thinking that it was Ruth Langmore with haute couture and weird European accent..

I finished “Anna” and it didn’t disappoint. Even though it is based on a true story, not many people know of or will recall the case so it is still a good ending that wraps up each character. And thankfully no Season 2 to wait for.

I’m watching Suspicion now on Apple TV+ and after the 1st 4 episodes (dropped together?) now have to wait for each new one every Friday. Frustrating! This is a drama about the kid napping of the son of a US media mogul from a NYC hotel by UK celeb masked assailants. Police arrest 3 British citizens in the U.K. who we’re staying in that hotel on the night of the kidnapping. Are they innocent or not?

For those of you who liked Inventing Anna, there is an interview with the real woman on YouTube under Australian 60 Minutes. I wanted to check out her accent. It’s so interesting, that I couldn’t watch the Netflix show after that. She should have played herself in the show. She was compelling to watch.

Probably worth pointing out that $5 a month for PBS is a membership fee ($60 annual) and thus a qualifying charitable contribution. As is any PBS membership which will also give you the passport benefit.

Watched one episode of The Gilded Age, the Americanized Downton Abbey. Doubt I’ll watch anymore.
Going to check out Love is Blind. I know what to expect, and I am here for it.
For me it got interesting at episode 2, then got very exciting episode 3+.

Episode 1 was mainly establishing the characters/families and their backgrounds. Plus lush cinematography.

And it’s nothing like Downton Abbey. I think that just came from having the same producer.

We’re recording the Abraham Lincoln miniseries on History Channel. I watched the first episode. It was very good.

A cheap CGI scene was quite funny. They showed an 1860 still photo of the Republican convention. But they used CGI to overlay tiny clapping hands amongst the people in the photo. The effect was a bit comical, as it looked decidedly strange.

McCartney 3, 2, 1 on Hulu. Basically Paul McCartney and Rick Rubin talking about McCartney's songwriting process and playing with the songs on a mixing board.

“Somebody, Somewhere” on HBO. It’s like a warm dysfunctional family hug. Besides this forum, I listen to a podcast called Pop Culture Happy Hour that discusses television, movies, and other pop culture trends. It LOVES this show.

I saw the first episode of “Warrior” (HBO). It has a “Bruce Lee” feel, perhaps because the producer is his granddaughter. The plot seems a bit thin, though, so I’m not likely to continue.

Also watched the first 2 episodes of “The Great” (Hulu) based on Catherine the Great. This is more satire than historical fiction and a bit over the top for my taste, so another series I probably won’t finish.

We are watching Shadow Hunters (2016) on Hulu, the episodes are long many an hour long.
We like it, and it ran for 3 seasons, so I guess others did too.
rottentomatoes audience gave it 80%.

It has demons, angels, vampires, werewolves, elfs, and warlocks in it so it's that kind of show.

I've been watching old episodes of The West Wing on HBO/Max. My what a wonderful show that was! The bad thing is that the theme song is an earworm for me, but luckily it is a wonderful score.

Back
Top Bottom