What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Shonda Rhimes created and was the head writer and executive producer of Grey's Anatomy. She also created the show Scandal. I didn't watch either, but I gather that they were popular. I do like Ozark, so I'll probably give Inventing Anna a watch, too.

I just finished watching Chernobyl on HBO Max. Really well done, even if not perfectly historically accurate.

yeah, i looked her up (Rhimes). we watched a few eps of Grays and had more than enough. never saw Scandal . we'll put Chernobyl on our list. thanks.

I just finished watching Chernobyl on HBO Max. Really well done, even if not perfectly historically accurate.

^ This ^

In fact I would go so far as to say this is production was anti-Soviet/Russia propaganda, the way they made them out to be ham-fisted fools.

For example, there was a scene where a bunch of communist party members are in a meeting and shout their fealty to an image of Lenin, which I found particularly incredibly unbelievable. (Mods: This is not a spoiler as it's a 30 second scene that doesn't impact the plot in any way.)

I watched the first two episodes and quit.

It would be interesting to hear what former USSR residents think about the accuracy of how the party officials were portrayed.

Yes, it would. Especially how party officials would have behaved toward an image of Lenin in 1986. Probably quite different than how they might have reacted in 1966.

Actually I thought Gorbachev and the others came off relatively well.

They sent all those workers to certain deaths but IIRC they talked about their responsibility, if they didn't prevent the contamination from spreading out of control, well beyond their borders.

Binged Hellbound on Netflix over the weekend, was good, Korean supernatural horror, kinda, but it turns out the story is actually about culture and people, which meant instead of it being a let down like these things often are when the explanation turns out to be uninteresting, they explained nothing and the arc of the season was actively interesting because it was about people and institutions. Wrapped up well, satisfying in itself, and the teaser for the 2nd season had me going ok cool, I want to see where THAT goes. :)

Watching The Silent Sea on Netflix currently, Korean SF show. The science is execrable but the story is interesting, and hey, space show, I'm two thirds of the way in and interested in seeing how it turns out.

I appreciate how many good Korean (and other foreign) shows Netflix has. Overall it's pretty great having access to an entire planet's worth of content these days without having to resort to trading VHS tapes. ;)

My wife (Russian) and I watched Chernobyl and both really enjoyed it. She's a millenial so she was born in 1981 and while her memories are more strongly of post-collapse Russian, she didn't call anything out as feeling off to her and we discussed the show after watching.

Not a new series, but new-to-me: I'm watching Winter on Acorn TV.

An Aussie murder mystery series starring Rebecca Gibney. I'm enjoying it.

Not a new series, but new-to-me: I'm watching Winter on Acorn TV.

An Aussie murder mystery series starring Rebecca Gibney. I'm enjoying it.

Not sure if you have access to Netflix, but the murder mystery mini-series Sophie: A murder in West Cork (Ireland) is excellent.

One of the best programs I've watch recently

Binged Hellbound on Netflix over the weekend, was good, Korean supernatural horror, kinda, but it turns out the story is actually about culture and people, which meant instead of it being a let down like these things often are when the explanation turns out to be uninteresting, they explained nothing and the arc of the season was actively interesting because it was about people and institutions. Wrapped up well, satisfying in itself, and the teaser for the 2nd season had me going ok cool, I want to see where THAT goes. :)

Watching The Silent Sea on Netflix currently, Korean SF show. The science is execrable but the story is interesting, and hey, space show, I'm two thirds of the way in and interested in seeing how it turns out.

I appreciate how many good Korean (and other foreign) shows Netflix has. Overall it's pretty great having access to an entire planet's worth of content these days without having to resort to trading VHS tapes. ;)
We’ve watched several K dramas on Netflix over the years plus other foreign series. There have been so many very enjoyable ones.

If you haven’t seen them I highly recommend Mr. Sunshine and The Stranger Korean dramas on Netflix.

Overall it's pretty great having access to an entire planet's worth of content these days without having to resort to trading VHS tapes. ;)

Retch, are you watching the final season of Attack on Titan? (it's on Hulu now as well as the usual places)

I just started an older series on Acorn. Hinterland. First episode was really good. It was about 1.5 hours so not a quick watch but it didn’t seem long because the story was so good.

We are watching Life on Mars on Britbox. We put it off for so long, because we saw the American version and it was just ok. We are really enjoying it.

We are watching Life on Mars on Britbox. We put it off for so long, because we saw the American version and it was just ok. We are really enjoying it.

The original Life on Mars (the British version) is fantastic. John Simm and Phillip Glenister are brilliant. After watching the British version, I found the American one, but couldn't last more than an episode or two. It paled in comparison, and wasn't at all compelling.

Apparently, there is a sequel, called Ashes to Ashes. I don't remember whether I watched it or not. A third series is supposed to be in development.

Started watching “Inventing Anna” on Netflix. A Shonda Rhimes series (9 episodes) starring Julia Garner (Ruth Langmore from Ozark) in the title role.
Still early on in the series but it is an interesting (based on a true) story about an “aristocrat” or con artist who captivated NYC and a reporter determined to get the true story.
Watching it now. Intriguing.

Also finished 4 seasons of Unforgotten, a Britbox series about very cold cases. Very well-done and each episode has a different spin.

Also started "Inventing Anna" and it seems interesting. The character's accent is something to...um...behold. Reading up on it, the actress is doing an excellent job of replicating it as annoying as it is. Apparently, the person she is portraying is actually MORE nasally (sp?) than the actress is speaking and this was be design/request of the director.

The character's accent is something to...um...behold. Reading up on it, the actress is doing an excellent job of replicating it as annoying as it is.
When you couple the fact that the actress was filming this and Ozark somewhat concurrently, she had to jump back and forth between Anna's accent and Ruth Langmore's Missouri redneck accent. Pretty good!

I’ve finished Inventing Anna. Have to say it was very average. Moved slowly. The middle episodes were the best. Beginning and end was slow, rough, and never delivered on the promise of intrigue. I just kept expecting more. Some kind of twist that never came.

I really like the lead actress playing Anna. I respect her abilities and don’t think it’s her fault the script let her down.

Ran through the last installment of Ozark on Netfreaks last week, enjoyed that. Just noticed Season 2 of Space Force is at the top of the page now as well - that's next. :)

Ran through the last installment of Ozark on Netfreaks last week, enjoyed that. Just noticed Season 2 of Space Force is at the top of the page now as well - that's next. :)

So disappointed having to wait months for the conclusion of Ozark though. Maybe cause Ruth had to take time off to play Anna?

So disappointed having to wait months for the conclusion of Ozark though. Maybe cause Ruth had to take time off to play Anna?

I don't know...I think this might be the new norm in the streaming world. Netflix announced there will be two more seasons of Stranger Things and the next season will be released as two separate "volumes" on different dates. I am not a fan of this method of release. Nonetheless, we are just waiting for part two of the last Ozark season to be released before we watch part one.

Twas just nice getting closure. Space Force, on the other hand, was a let down. Watched them all today. Didn't see how they could keep it going [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished season 4 of Unforgotten. I think it was great. Sure would like to say more. But I won’t.

Continue to watch 1883. It is great as well.

I don't know...I think this might be the new norm in the streaming world. Netflix announced there will be two more seasons of Stranger Things and the next season will be released as two separate "volumes" on different dates. I am not a fan of this method of release. Nonetheless, we are just waiting for part two of the last Ozark season to be released before we watch part one.

I guess that is smart to wait until the FULL final season drops.
I just started RE-watching the Sopranos on HBO Max. What a great series and ground-breaking for it’s time!

Back
Top Bottom