What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I hope I'm not repeating. "Slow Horses" on Apple TV+. Spy thriller, funny and scary at the same time.

"The Offer" on Paramount+ is really good especially if you liked the movie "The Godfather" and like the series format of the Sopranos.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m really enjoying this one.

I used to be a big Star Trek fan, now I'm kind of ambivalent. I started "Picard" season 2 on Paramount + network. If you buy into the premise of the plot you should enjoy it. I said to myself I wouldn't watch S2 after watching S1, but I'm liking S2 so far.

Well, that didn't last long. First two episodes were great and then the series devolved into self-indulgent nostalgic fanboi references. At first they were fun, then became pandering, and finally farcical. I would not be surprised to see Wesley Crusher making an appearance in a future episode via some lazy writer's gimmick.

Dumb and impossible things start happening in the plot line, and there is plenty of "Star Trek Church" or sermons about the virtues of humanism, plus political commentary galore.

I will keep watching, partly to see how far they dare take the nostalgic theme, partly to see how stupid they dare take the plot lines, and partly to see how conflicted the writers can make me feel about Star Trek franchise.

I am a big Star Trek fan but I agree about Picard, a little over the top but I am going to keep watching. I am enjoying Star Trek Discovery and looking forward to the new series Star Trek Strange New Worlds which starts this Thursday on Paramount Plus. I am also rewatching Star Trek Voyager and really enjoying it, I forget how good some of the older Star Trek series are.

Is anyone else watching Pachinko on Apple TV+? I know its difficult with the sub-titles (being in Yellow and Blue depending on the language being spoken doesn't help) but it is really well done. A multi-generational story of this woman from young woman to elderly grandmother and her family across Korea and Japan.

Yes. It’s very good

"My Brilliant Friend" HBO Max. The third season dropped. Subtitled, Italian. A beautiful and heartbreaking story of two friends.

Succession is one of the very best TV shows of the past 5-10 years. IMHO, it gets better and better with each season. Yes, it's filled with petty, miserable, uber-wealthy characters, but the writing and acting are absolutely top notch and the stories/plots are very entertaining. If you're anything like me, you will NOT get tired of these characters.

There's a fair amount of drinking in the show, from my recollection, but it's somewhat more "refined" due to the mega-billionaire lifestyles. Mostly very high end wine, consumed in copious quantities at parties, etc. Not much of the "Jack and Coke"-type drinking you'd see in shows set in the American South.

I would agree that this is one of the best shows HBO has put out in a while. We have but a few episodes left of the last season and noticed how we have gone back and forth about who our favorite/least favorite characters are...and well, it really depends on the episode. It's brilliantly written and the actors are very good at what they do.

I read about how Jeremy Strong prepared for the role and it was fascinating...to come across as awkward as he does, he spent quite a while just walking up to strangers and engaging them in conversation.

I know HBO has confirmed season 4, but it seems that there isn't release date as of yet (and haven't started filming!?) and that makes me want to wait a while to finish the last couple of episodes.

Looking forward to watching the last season of Ozark...that too has been a good series.

Well, that didn't last long. First two episodes were great and then the series devolved into self-indulgent nostalgic fanboi references. At first they were fun, then became pandering, and finally farcical. I would not be surprised to see Wesley Crusher making an appearance in a future episode via some lazy writer's gimmick.

Dumb and impossible things start happening in the plot line, and there is plenty of "Star Trek Church" or sermons about the virtues of humanism, plus political commentary galore.

I will keep watching, partly to see how far they dare take the nostalgic theme, partly to see how stupid they dare take the plot lines, and partly to see how conflicted the writers can make me feel about Star Trek franchise.

Yes. Star Trek and Star Wars have run their course. They have made them so complicated, it's pretty much impossible to keep the story lines straight anymore. I am of the same opinion with all the comic book movies...enough, already. Although, since there are SO many Marvel movies, I am pretty sure I am in the minority in this line of thinking. :)

I would agree that this is one of the best shows HBO has put out in a while. We have but a few episodes left of the last season and noticed how we have gone back and forth about who our favorite/least favorite characters are...and well, it really depends on the episode. It's brilliantly written and the actors are very good at what they do.

I read about how Jeremy Strong prepared for the role and it was fascinating...to come across as awkward as he does, he spent quite a while just walking up to strangers and engaging them in conversation.

I know HBO has confirmed season 4, but it seems that there isn't release date as of yet (and haven't started filming!?) and that makes me want to wait a while to finish the last couple of episodes.

Looking forward to watching the last season of Ozark...that too has been a good series.

I've watched a few more episodes now, and will watch some more, but I still question whether I can continue with a series where every character is loathsome and I find myself hoping that something terrible happens to each one of them - which is not exactly the kind of person I want to be. Also, they are so horrible to each other that it passes belief. I have to question whether such a non-functional group could actually run a business beyond 6 months.

But, still, I'll watch some more episodes.

You all have said it about Picard and Discovery.

So, watch Strange New Worlds. I found myself up at 3 AM and watched it, fresh off the drop.

Much, much, much better. Bright colors, less muddy dialog, lack of direct in-our-face preaching about issues.

Does SNW touch on issues of the day? Yes, as did The Original Series. But with this small sample size of one, it is not so heavy handed and directly preachy about hot button issues. We'll see where it goes in future episodes.

I was entertained. And I could actually see the action instead of it being buried in dark mud and dark uniforms.

This won't ruin it for you, I promise: right off the bat in the first minute there is a call out to the classic movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. That theme plays through the episode. If you didn't like the fact that the movie had a message, then pass on the series.

Last edited:
Yes. Star Trek and Star Wars have run their course. They have made them so complicated, it's pretty much impossible to keep the story lines straight anymore. I am of the same opinion with all the comic book movies...enough, already. Although, since there are SO many Marvel movies, I am pretty sure I am in the minority in this line of thinking. :)

Well, I'm with you on the superhero movies. The original Superman in 1978 was cool, as was the first Batman movie. But then...just no. I watched the first Avengers movie and kept thinking to myself, "They're superheroes. How can there be any tension about them being in 'danger'"? I tried to watch "Dr. Strange" several years ago and quit about 15 minutes into the movie. Apparently Dr. Strange's superpower was magic. C'mon! How do you write a situation that the guy can't get out of? I mean, it's magic. Nothing needs to make sense because...magic!

So, watch Strange New Worlds. I found myself up at 3 AM and watched it, fresh off the drop.

Much, much, much better. Bright colors, less muddy dialog, lack of direct in-our-face preaching about issues.

Does SNW touch on issues of the day? Yes, as did The Original Series. But with this small sample size of one, it is not so heavy handed and directly preachy about hot button issues. We'll see where it goes in future episodes.

Yes, I have high hopes and will be watching SNW. I'm OK with "touching on the issues of the day", but Picard bludgeons you over the head with it at least a couple times per episode. I'm up to episode 5.

I've watched a few more episodes now, and will watch some more, but I still question whether I can continue with a series where every character is loathsome and I find myself hoping that something terrible happens to each one of them - which is not exactly the kind of person I want to be. Also, they are so horrible to each other that it passes belief. I have to question whether such a non-functional group could actually run a business beyond 6 months.

But, still, I'll watch some more episodes.

I had those same questions in the first few episodes - I kept wanting to latch onto someone I could semi-relate to or at least see as having some redeeming personality. I'd think I had one and the by the end of the episode...nope they are terrible too! They do become more fully formed characters as you get to know them. I see them mostly as very damaged people.

But despite that, it's still the best thing in years, and I rewatched the past seasons as a refresher for the latest one, and it was just as good the 2nd time around.

I had those same questions in the first few episodes - I kept wanting to latch onto someone I could semi-relate to or at least see as having some redeeming personality. I'd think I had one and the by the end of the episode...nope they are terrible too! They do become more fully formed characters as you get to know them. I see them mostly as very damaged people.

But despite that, it's still the best thing in years, and I rewatched the past seasons as a refresher for the latest one, and it was just as good the 2nd time around.

What about Greg & Tom? Okay, they too are irredeemable, except they are very funny. ‘You can’t make a tomellette without breaking a few gregs’.

What about Greg & Tom? Okay, they too are irredeemable, except they are very funny. ‘You can’t make a tomellette without breaking a few gregs’.

They are funny, but still terrible people, and I didn't want to get too specific to avoid any spoilers.

I was entertained. And I could actually see the action instead of it being buried in dark mud and dark uniforms.

This won't ruin it for you, I promise: right off the bat in the first minute there is a call out to the classic movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. That theme plays through the episode. If you didn't like the fact that the movie had a message, then pass on the series.

Just watched the first episode of Star Trek Strange New World on Paramount Plus. I think I am going to really like it, seems much more like the standard Star Trek series as opposed to Discovery and Picard ( I like both of them but they are different from the Star Trek I know and love). I can't wait until next Thursday for the second episode of Strange New World.

Just watched the first episode of Star Trek Strange New World on Paramount Plus. I think I am going to really like it, seems much more like the standard Star Trek series as opposed to Discovery and Picard ( I like both of them but they are different from the Star Trek I know and love). I can't wait until next Thursday for the second episode of Strange New World.

Watched first episode of Strange New worlds last night. Liked it. I'm especially pleased that they seem to be taking the approach of stand-alone episodes. It looks like there might be a story-arc involving a couple of characters, which is great, so long as it doesn't dominate the storytelling.

I have some reservations, though nothing that is off-putting.

Captain Pike seems a bit flippant. Cracking jokes, being sarcastic, almost smug. Doesn't seem consistent with his (known) future.

Once again, there seems to be a need for the writers to be self-indulgent with references to other Star Trek canon. The Star Wars franchise is afflicted with this malady as well. How about just a story without having to tie characters from other shows into it? It's a big universe out there and I doubt that these two dozen or so people interact with each other. Also, I noticed one of the ships in SNW was named after a character from an earlier Star Trek series. This is the sort of self-indulgent stuff that I'm talking about.

Will continue watching.

Captain Pike seems a bit flippant. Cracking jokes, being sarcastic, almost smug. Doesn't seem consistent with his (known) future.

Once again, there seems to be a need for the writers to be self-indulgent with references to other Star Trek canon. The Star Wars franchise is afflicted with this malady as well.

Pike is flip, because <mild spoiler from first 3 minutes, highlight text here--> he knows his future.</spoil>

As for self-indulgence, I'm seeing a lot of agreement with you on this in fan forums. People are tired of Soong, Kahn, and Spock references.

One Redditor says that the Spock family has become the Skywalker family of Star Wars - exactly to your point.

They need to lay off Spock and stop complicating things. There's a lot of room to breathe and add new characters with no connections.

I'm still looking forward to SNW, if only for the fact they let the set dressers and costume designers use color again.

Last edited:
Also watched ST Strange New World and enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll keep up the feel of the original series.
I've been watching "Black Summer" on Netflix. It should be renamed What NOT to do in a zombie apocalypse. So far in 4 episodes there are no heroes, just kinda normal people with no survival skills.

Pike is flip, because <mild spoiler from first 3 minutes, highlight text here->

I considered that as a reason why he's so happy-go-lucky but I don't buy it.

As for self-indulgence, I'm seeing a lot of agreement with you on this in fan forums. People are tired of Soong, Kahn, and Spock references.

One Redditor says that the Spock family has become the Skywalker family of Star Wars - exactly to your point.

EXACTLY. This is why I so enjoyed SW: Rogue One. No continuity baggage weighing down the story. Just a nice, crisp, one off story.

They need to lay off Spock and stop complicating things. There's a lot of room to breathe and add new characters with no connections.

Agreed. I wouldn't abandon exploring Spock's character now and again, it might give some insight into how he became the guy from TOS. But, you're right, there's plenty of fresh characters to mine here.

I'm still looking forward to SNW, if only for the fact they let the set dressers and costume designers use color again.

Yes, it was refreshing to see they actually put lights on a set! I liked the bridge set design. Faithful to the original but with a modern design update. The transporter "tubes" were cool.

But what's with La'ans hair "style"?

I could say more but I'm on probation for giving away spoilers so I better be careful. I think this is safe. You should be able to understand it without me giving away any specifics: I didn't understand why the use of a two step process of getting Pike onto the Enterprise when it was docked? (I have an idea, but if I'm right about it, it's kinda lame of the writers.)

Captain Pike may be a little flippant but as a female I really like his look and manner--so easy on the eyes. Reminds me of the early Captain Kirk--say what you will about him but he was a hunk (William Shatner still looks pretty good for 91 years old).

But what's with La'ans hair "style"?

I thought the hair styles were varied with both throwback looks, current looks, and futuristic looks. I had no problem with that.

I see wilder hair designs today at my local coffee shop. :LOL:

I also like the fact that the cast is extremely diverse. I have zero issue with that as I believe it will reflect our reality in 200 years.

Captain Pike may be a little flippant but as a female I really like his look and manner--so easy on the eyes. Reminds me of the early Captain Kirk--say what you will about him but he was a hunk (William Shatner still looks pretty good for 91 years old).

So is this the point where I can say I liked Nurse Chapel and T'pring? :)

As a kid, I had a crush on Yeoman Rand. I think she was supposed to play a bigger part but, sadly she left due being a victim of sexual misconduct by some executive she won't name. Executives taking advantage was all too common at the time. So much for Star Trek utopia in the current world.

Back
Top Bottom