What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I watched Candy on Hulu. True crime story but I was not familiar with it. I thought the acting was great.

I also started watching the Flight Attendant season 2. Entertaining, acting not bad, plot is somewhat far fetched but I like it. Episodes come out on Thursdays. I’m not fond of weekly drops. Just give me the entire show at once.

For those interested Animal Kingdom season 5 is now free on Prime. Started watching it last night and promptly fell asleep. It was midnight so I will start earlier tonight.

I also started watching the Flight Attendant season 2. Entertaining, acting not bad, plot is somewhat far fetched but I like it. Episodes come out on Thursdays. I’m not fond of weekly drops. Just give me the entire show at once.

Hacks is also pretty good on HBO Max.

They put out 2 episodes every Thursday.

The George Carlin special on HBO Max is instructive poignent and long and 3.75 hours in 2 parts. learned some things and lots of reminiscing.

The George Carlin special on HBO Max is instructive poignent and long and 3.75 hours in 2 parts. learned some things and lots of reminiscing.

I watched Part 1 last night. GC is underestimated in his ability to change. I remember the 2nd part of his career better than his first. His comedy and commentary on life are spot on.

I watched Part 1 last night. GC is underestimated in his ability to change. I remember the 2nd part of his career better than his first. His comedy and commentary on life are spot on.

Carlin was a jewel! his Hippy Dippy Weatherman still makes me laugh!

Star Trek

Strange New World: 5-stars. a throw back to Kirk. each story is self-contained.

Picard S2: 3.5-stars. a little muddled towards the end but still very watchable
:)
Discovery: 1-star. lots of not-so-disguised politics. stick to good storytelling. We won't be watching this going forward.

My favorites ranked in order best-to-worst:

The Next Generation
The Original Series
Strange New World
Enterprise
Voyager
Picard
DS9
Discovery

Last edited:
"Halo" on Paramount Plus network. I've seen 3 of the 9 episodes.

Disclosure: I know nothing about the X-Box game this TV series is based upon.

This is a well-produced, well-acted, expensive production. The CGI is faultless. The story starts fast with a battle scene which is somewhat gory. Then the plot is laid out and we meet the main character(s). Hard to describe much further without spoilers.

The story has an epic feel to it, like the three Star Wars movies of the 70's and early 80's or like the book "Dune" by Frank Herbert. There is an extensive back story and plenty of factions vying to manipulate things to achieve their desired end result. The 2nd episode was also very good; the third episode moved a little slower, less action than ep. 1&2, but it introduced critical plot points.

I'm definitely watching this whole thing. If you are a sci-fi fan like me, this is essential viewing.

Sorry, no idea in the USA, Google should tell you. We get our content direct from the UK.

............. I just googled it for you, it is available on Prime Video in the US.

that's a different 'Rising' (a film..end of the world thing)'. the series i believe you're referring to seems to not be available in the US. it's on something called 'Sky Max' or via VPN.

thanks.

that's a different 'Rising' (a film..end of the world thing)'. the series i believe you're referring to seems to not be available in the US. it's on something called 'Sky Max' or via VPN.

thanks.

Ah yes, We get it from the UK so that is right. It has 8 episodes. We are currently watching episode 2.

Watching Gaslit on Starz. Inside story of Watergate. Slow but insightful. Julia Roberts as Martha Mitchell.

Pachinko on Apple TV. Japanese and Korean historical drama that jumps from past to present. Not a time-traveling type thing but so interesting.

Last night I watched the first episode of “Outer Range” on Amazon Prime. Another new show I don’t care for. I didn’t make it to the end of “Black Sails” or even half of the first episode of the new Mike Meyers “The Pentaverate”. Not sure if it is me or more of the new shows just aren’t that good.

Last night I watched the first episode of “Outer Range” on Amazon Prime. Another new show I don’t care for. I didn’t make it to the end of “Black Sails”

IOHO Black Sails was a brilliant show. Not for the faint of heart or prudish types though. Then neither was George Carlin who we also loved.

Watched Harry Wild, reminded me loosely of Angela Raisin. Now on to Picard.

Last night I watched the first episode of “Outer Range” on Amazon Prime. Another new show I don’t care for. I didn’t make it to the end of “Black Sails” or even half of the first episode of the new Mike Meyers “The Pentaverate”. Not sure if it is me or more of the new shows just aren’t that good.

Outer Range looked to have promise, but IMHO was absolutely terrible.

We made it 3 (I think) episodes in before bailing. We kept expecting it to get better. It didn't.

I think you're on to something by saying the new shows (and I'd go so far as to say new movies also) just aren't good. Seems like the art of making good TV and movies is in large part dead and buried..

IOHO Black Sails was a brilliant show. Not for the faint of heart or prudish types though. Then neither was George Carlin who we also loved.
Good thing I’m neither prudish nor faint of heart. I just think they’re bad taste. I also think the comparison with Carlin is off. Language was the basis for much of his comedy and social observations. Black Sails does not use language to further the plot, it’s just there for shock value. To each his own.

Outer Range looked to have promise, but IMHO was absolutely terrible.

We made it 3 (I think) episodes in before bailing. We kept expecting it to get better. It didn't.

I think you're on to something by saying the new shows (and I'd go so far as to say new movies also) just aren't good. Seems like the art of making good TV and movies is in large part dead and buried..
Thanks for the feedback on Outer Range. I was thinking episode 2 might be worth a try, but not now.

I think there are some good new shows and films, but the ratio of bad/good is rising quickly and there’s just too much money being thrown at creating new content.

Good quality films might be an interesting topic for a new thread, although I suspect (and lots here would probably agree) it wouldn’t have many new entries.

Struggled through Outer Range. Liked some about it and will watch again, but sometimes just weird for weirdness sake.

Watched first three episodes of Yellowstone. Meh. Don't like any of the characters. We will try to finish the first season to see if we can get more interested.

Good thing I’m neither prudish nor faint of heart. I just think they’re bad taste. I also think the comparison with Carlin is off. Language was the basis for much of his comedy and social observations. Black Sails does not use language to further the plot, it’s just there for shock value. To each his own.

Thanks for the feedback on Outer Range. I was thinking episode 2 might be worth a try, but not now.

I think there are some good new shows and films, but the ratio of bad/good is rising quickly and there’s just too much money being thrown at creating new content.

Good quality films might be an interesting topic for a new thread, although I suspect (and lots here would probably agree) it wouldn’t have many new entries.

Yes, don’t bother with Outer Range. Just boring and what little plot there might be is just stupid. You want Wyoming and good show try Joe Pickett on P+

Back
Top Bottom