What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I'm totally hooked on Outlander. It was hard for me to get into at the beginning, and I almost abandoned it because of too much in-your-face sex/rape/sodomy/violence, but somehow I got through it (skipped some parts), and now, I can't wait for Season 5 to start. I guess I could read the original books in the meantime.

I found out that over 60% of the audience is female, and I can see why.

Last edited:
I'm totally hooked on Outlander. It was hard for me to get into at the beginning, and I almost abandoned it because of too much in-your-face sex/rape/sodomy/violence, but somehow I got through it (skipped some parts), and now, I can't wait for Season 5 to start. I guess I could read the original books in the meantime.

Sister is very into the book series and has loaned out multiple copies and just keeps re-buying them. BIL is of Scottish heritage and, to Sister's surprise, really got into the books as well.

Sister is very into the book series and has loaned out multiple copies and just keeps re-buying them. BIL is of Scottish heritage and, to Sister's surprise, really got into the books as well.
I've just started reading Book 5 (I watched Book1-Book4 so I skipped, for now.) I heard that historical facts in the books/TV shows are pretty accurate, so I can understand that your BIL who is Scottish is into it also. I read that the show is boosting tourism in Scotland.

The UnXplained with William Shatner. I am surprised Mr. Shatner is still going strong at age 88 but he is. Good for him. I like his new show, he is the narrator.

For those interested it is on Fridays at 9 PM EST on the History channel.

Last edited:
Currently in the middle of Season 3 of Fargo (2017) and am enjoying it very, very much. (I see that star Ewan McGregor won a Golden Globe for his dual performance.) Season 4 is supposedly now being filmed.

We just finished the first season last night--Season 2 is underway now with one new episode every Sunday, as HBO likes to do. So good--the writing and the acting, and the production values are terrific.

I am hooked on Succession. This past week's episode was sooo good I had to watch it twice. Every little detail is perfect. This whole series will be one I'll go back and rewatch when I can't find anything else on.

In the middle of the 2nd season of Mindhunter on Nflix. If you don't want violent images in your mind, it isn't for you. The interview with the Richard Speck character was extremely disturbing. We like it a lot.

I've read all 8 and a couple of the novellas. Really long books but I loved them. I highly recommend them.

"Spy" Netflix. Sacha Baron Cohen as a dramatic actor, awesome. I've not understood Middle East politics very well. I don't know the history and could not understand why these small countries hate each other so much. This series was an opening for me. Now I want to research everything about the mess over there.

The true story is even more interesting. Although, this series sticks to most of the facts.

I've just started reading Book 5 (I watched Book1-Book4 so I skipped, for now.) I heard that historical facts in the books/TV shows are pretty accurate, so I can understand that your BIL who is Scottish is into it also. I read that the show is boosting tourism in Scotland.

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/attractions/tv-film/outlander/

I don't know Outlander but after going to Scotland (so beautiful) it's on my list just for the settings!

I don't get the 60% female audience part given the violence/sex/sci-fi/pseudo historical angles. Do females watch more non-sports TV than non-females? I'm hooked and non-female.

Read where there was a delay to Season 5 such that it won't be out till 2020.

"Spy" Netflix. Sacha Baron Cohen as a dramatic actor, awesome. I've not understood Middle East politics very well. I don't know the history and could not understand why these small countries hate each other so much. This series was an opening for me. Now I want to research everything about the mess over there.

The true story is even more interesting. Although, this series sticks to most of the facts.

not a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohen...not a fan at all, actually...but we will check out this series. hopefully he can act cuz he sure ain't funny.

we just finished season 2 of 'Mindbender' on NetFlix. excellent show.

I don't get the 60% female audience part given the violence/sex/sci-fi/pseudo historical angles. Do females watch more non-sports TV than non-females? I'm hooked and non-female.

Read where there was a delay to Season 5 such that it won't be out till 2020.

It's the romance in the show that appeals to women, I believe. Jamie is a strong, sincere, sensitive, honourable man who is adaptable with a high emotional intelligence, who loves Claire deeply and would do ANYTHING to protect her. And obviously, he looks the part. I am female and I get it. :LOL:

I heard Game of Thrones has a larger male audience (close to 60%).

Last edited:
We're enjoying Designated Survivor with Keifer Southerland. Very 24ish but he becomes the president after the sitting president, vp and all of congress gets wiped out when they get bombed during the state of the union address. Pretty good!

not a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohen...not a fan at all, actually...but we will check out this series. hopefully he can act cuz he sure ain't funny.
I don't like his humor either, sort of disgusting. You won't recognize him. Just forget his past performances.

It's the romance in the show that appeals to women, I believe. Jamie is a strong, sincere, sensitive, honourable man who is adaptable with a high emotional intelligence, who loves Claire deeply and would do ANYTHING to protect her. And obviously, he looks the part. I am female and I get it. :LOL:

I heard Game of Thrones has a larger male audience (close to 60%).

my wife and I both enjoy Outlander although I suspect for different reasons. she for the romance angle, me for the historical references as well as the action and overall story.

I'm watching Carnival Row (S01) and Peaky Blinders (S05)

Carnival Row is quite well done. Very effective world building. You'll like it if you like the High Fantasy and/or steampunk genres. Amazon threw a tonne of money at it and it shows.

Peaky Blinders 5 picks up at the start of the Great Depression. Some of the writing and plot twists are a little OTT this year but the acting and cinematography is still top notch. Cillian Murphy should win all the awards.

I'm watching Carnival Row (S01) and Peaky Blinders (S05)

Carnival Row is quite well done. Very effective world building. You'll like it if you like the High Fantasy and/or steampunk genres. Amazon threw a tonne of money at it and it shows.

Peaky Blinders 5 picks up at the start of the Great Depression. Some of the writing and plot twists are a little OTT this year but the acting and cinematography is still top notch. Cillian Murphy should win all the awards.
Peaky Blinders 5th started! OMG: Cillian Murphy is the most underrated actor out there. I think he's golden. If you like the music...The Red Right Hand on youtube, so much fun to watch b/c it has out takes from the series.
Also, I'll continue with Carnival Row. Thanks.

for hard core Star Trek fans of TOS (The Original Series). i’ve just discovered within the last week Star Trek: Continues. this is a web based aeries (also on YouTube) tbat picks up where TOS left off. totally free, no commercials its done by fans but all are professional actors, writers, etc. 11-episodes very well done and very true to the look and spirit of TOS.

https://www.startrekcontinues.com

https://m.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues

Why, thank you RK911! I had heard of this endeavor but lost track of it. I am super impressed by their faithfulness to "the look and spirit," and I totally agree - who needs yet another dark and conflicted show (ST-Discovery). Let's have a little variety and try some optimism (and occasional sanctimoniousness)! Though, did you notice, there are cuts where there could potentially be commercial break? I plan to watch them all, and to find out how they managed to pull this off with all the original music, effects, shots, etc.

I am into season two of Mindhunters on Netflix. Set in the early 70's, the plot involves FBI Behavioral agents conducting a study of serial killers. Its fiction, but based on real events/killers. I enjoy series that are set in the era before cell phones became so prevalent. Modern day series drive me crazy with the constant cell phone action.

Why, thank you RK911! I had heard of this endeavor but lost track of it. I am super impressed by their faithfulness to "the look and spirit," and I totally agree - who needs yet another dark and conflicted show (ST-Discovery). Let's have a little variety and try some optimism (and occasional sanctimoniousness)! Though, did you notice, there are cuts where there could potentially be commercial break? I plan to watch them all, and to find out how they managed to pull this off with all the original music, effects, shots, etc.

i did notice that but from what I've read the got clearances from paramount, NBC, CBS..all the players for pledging not to make money from the endeavor. the only ads I spotted were on YouTube and those were the 5-10-sec variety before the video starts.

when I heard about this series I thought it was gonna be a, 'hey, kids...let's put on a show!'. was I wrong! very professionally done and they didn't jazz up the special effects...they are just like those used in '65-'69.

as for ST: Discovery we thought we wouldn't like it but we do. it was a bit off the ST reservation the first season but in season two it made a mid-course correction towards linking up with the known ST timeline.

my wife and I both enjoy Outlander although I suspect for different reasons. she for the romance angle, me for the historical references as well as the action and overall story.
I think you nailed it, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom