What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I have just finished watching the Stranger on Netflix. It was very good, as you would expect from a British detective show.

Thanks for this recommendation! I'm always looking for new British detective series, and this one stars one of my favorite actresses, Siobhan Finneran. I try to catch everything she does. Let the bingeing begin. :LOL:

Thanks for this recommendation! I'm always looking for new British detective series, and this one stars one of my favorite actresses, Siobhan Finneran. I try to catch everything she does. Let the bingeing begin. :LOL:

We only watched one per night. This is good enough to savor. And I can't take too much suspense. :)

Loch Ness (Acorn TV)

We only watched one per night. This is good enough to savor. And I can't take too much suspense. :)

We are opposites!

While looking for work by Siobhan Finneran yesterday I discovered yet another detective series she was in called Loch Ness (Acorn TV).

I binge watched all six episodes yesterday! Very suspenseful, with some surprises along the way.

The Stranger will have to wait for another weekend.

I discovered yet another detective series she was in called Loch Ness (Acorn TV). … Very suspenseful, with some surprises along the way.

The Stranger will have to wait for another weekend.

I, too, can recommend "Loch Ness." It is (was) one of the better written shows.

"The Stranger" is, also, on my "watch" list.

We are opposites!

While looking for work by Siobhan Finneran yesterday I discovered yet another detective series she was in called Loch Ness (Acorn TV).

Yay! Thanks for this. I subscribed to Acorn for a couple of months and stopped as I had no more shows to watch, but this gives me a reason to subscribe to it again. (I hope they added some more good shows in the meantime.)

I subscribed to Acorn for a couple of months and stopped ... (I hope they added some more good shows in the meantime.)

These are still my "to Watch" list:

ACORN

Agatha Raisin
The delightful Ashley Jensen (Catastrophe, Ugly Betty) stars as unlikely amateur detective Agatha Raisin in this "fun cross between Bridget Jones and Midsomer Murders" (The Times). In Series 3, Agatha opens her own PI agency to uncover the killers lurking in her sleepy Cotswold village, with help from her friend Roy (Mathew Horne, Gavin & Stacey) and paramour James (Jamie Glover, Waterloo Road).

Pitching In
Daffodil Dunes is a cozy camping-park community on the scenic and serene north Wales coast. When owner Frank (Larry Lamb, Gavin & Stacey, New Tricks) announces that he plans to sell the park to an enticing estate agent (Hayley Mills, The Parent Trap, Pollyanna), his strong-willed daughter, Carys (Caroline Sheen, Les Miserables) sets out to change his mind, in this endearing family drama.

Wire in the Blood
Robson Green (Grantchester, Touching Evil) plays a clinical psychologist called in by the police to help investigate serial killers in this acclaimed mystery series based on the books by Val McDermid. Also starring Hermione Norris (MI-5) and Simone Lahbib (Loch Ness), these dark and twisty mysteries are "brilliantly edgy" (SFGate.com).

Injustice
James Purefoy (Rome) leads a distinguished cast featuring Dervla Kirwan (Ballykissangel), Charlie Creed-Miles (The Fifth Element), and Nathaniel Parker (The Inspector Lynley Mysteries) in a taut five-part thriller of murder, conspiracy, secrets, and guilt created and written by Anthony Horowitz (Foyle's War). CC Available.

Chasing Shadows
Reece Shearsmith stars as DS Sean Stone, who has an uncanny ability to identify and predict patterns of human behavior. He knows how people work, but he doesn't understand them. Alex Kingston (Doctor Who) co-stars. CC Available.

Taken Down
In this gripping Irish crime drama, when a Nigerian girl is killed, Inspector Jen Rooney (Lynn Rafferty, Ripper Street) and her team investigate a refugee community, where young mother Abeni Bankole (Aïssa Maïga, Paris, je t'aime) may know more than she lets on. After another child disappears, can the cops find the missing girl before she becomes a casualty of Dublin's dangerous underground?

Above Suspicion
Kelly Reilly (True Detective) and Ciaran Hinds (Game of Thrones) star in this riveting detective series from Prime Suspect creator Lynda La Plante. With thrilling storytelling and smoldering chemistry between Reilly and Hinds, it's "easily one of the best detective shows on the box" (Wales on Sunday, UK).

Mystery Road
Two-time Oscar nominee Judy Davis (Feud, Life with Judy Garland) and award-winning actor Aaron Pedersen (Jack Irish) star in this Acorn TV Original drama set in the Australian outback. When two boys go missing from a cattle station, Detective Jay Swan (Pedersen) teams up with local cop Emma James (Davis) to investigate. But solving the mystery could expose other crimes that haunt the remote town.

Murdoch Mysteries
A Victorian-era Toronto detective uses then-cutting edge forensic techniques to solve crimes, with the assistance of a female coroner who is also struggling for recognition in the face of tradition, based on the books by Maureen Jennings.

Hidden
When a mysterious lawyer (Thekla Reuten, In Bruges) asks solicitor Harry Venn (Philip Glenister, Life on Mars, The Level) to find a missing alibi witness for her client, he's forced to delve back into his murky past and uncover a far-reaching conspiracy in this "intelligent, pacy TV thriller" (The Telegraph) that also stars David Suchet (Poirot) and Richard Dormer (Fortitude, Game of Thrones).

Yay! Thanks for this. I subscribed to Acorn for a couple of months and stopped as I had no more shows to watch, but this gives me a reason to subscribe to it again. (I hope they added some more good shows in the meantime.)

I hope you find what you're looking for. I seem to find an endless supply of British based detective series on Acorn. :)

Has anyone else started on “Better than us” on Netflix? It’s a Sci-fi drama based on Asimov’s 3 rules of robotics. It’s in Russian with subtitles which took a bit to get used to but the human side of the story easily translates.

We've tried twice to get into The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but it just hasn't clicked. As DW pointed out, all the characters are the same person. I've seen a lot of positive comments about it. What am I missing?

That's a good observation. Aaron Sorkin does that a lot too. Every character has the same witty, snappy style. Maisel isn't as good though. I got through the first season but I think I'm done.

Just watched first two episodes of Better Than Us .... pretty darn good.

I am a bit queasy about it, though ... seems everyone has an angle, is lying, or a criminal.

MMM, is, to me, something to hoard ... don’t watch too many episodes at once. We love it. It is supposed to be quick witted comedy to reflect the quick witted, educationally and intellect obsessed Jewish experience in America, I think. Oh, yeah, and wow, is she hot.

Thank you for the great list!!!!! I will definitely check it out :dance:

Along the same lines is my "Watch List" for Britbox:

Vera
(Season 10) Unconventional and unadorned, Vera’s manner belies her knack for catching killers. She, along with her close-knit team, return to turn up clues and reveal the truth in four all-new cases.

Quirke
Gabriel Byrne and Michael Gambon star in this noir crime series set in 1950s Dublin. Acclaimed writer Andrew Davies adapted the series, based on Benjamin Black's popular novels.

35 Days
Season 3 • 2017 • 8 Episodes
The reading of a will sets off a series of events that uncover greed, revenge, and bitter feuds within a quiet rural community.

Scott & Bailey
Season 1 • 2011 • 6 Episodes
Moving and exciting drama series follows the lives of Janet Scott and Rachel Bailey - Detective Constables in a Manchester Major Incident Team led by the formidable DCI Gill Murray

Jonathan Creek
Season 4 • 2003 • 6 Episodes
A new sparring partner joins the master of illusion to make sense of senseless murders.

Tutankhamun
The Telegraph heralded star Max Irons' performance as "the most dashing archaeologist since Indiana Jones". This sweeping account of the discovery of King Tut's tomb also stars Sa

A Touch of Frost
Season 1 • 1992 • 3 Episodes
David Jason stars as Jack Frost - an unconventional policeman with a sympathy for the underdog and an instinct for moral justice. In this opening series, Frost finds himself leadin

Maigret
Globally renowned actor Rowan Atkinson stars as Maigret in these two gripping crime stories set in 1950s Paris.

Death in Paradise
Welcome to the idyllic island of Saint Marie. With its beautiful tropical charm, you might mistake it for paradise...until you see its murder rate.

Bleak House
This acclaimed adaptation of Dickens' Victorian drama, penned by Andrew Davies, stars the incomparable Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock and Carey Mulligan in her first TV role.

Silent Witness
(Season 22 & 23) Pathologist Dr Nikki Alexander and her dedicated team return for a new season of solving mystifying murders with storylines ranging from knife crime to issues facing the LGBT community.

Life of Crime
Set against the backdrop of iconic moments in British history Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter) stars as an impulsive rookie cop who becomes obsessed with tracking down the killer of a

The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco
Years after secretly serving during WWII as code-breakers, four remarkable women use their intellects to solve murders overlooked by police.

Bancroft
A dark and compelling thriller centering on Detective Superintendent Elizabeth Bancroft, a female detective with an explosive secret. On the surface, Elizabeth Bancroft is a model DCI. But when a disturbing crime brings her personal and professional life crashing together, she is confronted with a chilling new en…

The Mrs Bradley Mysteries
The legendary Diana Rigg stars as the infamous intuitive crime-solver Mrs. Adela Bradley. Along with her resourceful chauffer George, she uses her finely hined skills of investigation to seek out the truth with characteristic style and grace.

We just finished watching season 3 of this series and highly recommend it:

Rosemary and Thyme
Season 1 • 2003 • 6 Episodes

In the first series of this crime drama Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme start a gardening consultancy called Rosemary and Thyme. They tackle all kinds of horticultural problems, but also meet with murder and mayhem wherever they go.

I have been a big fan of Felicity Kendal from 20 yrs ago on "Good Neighbors."

Also good on Netflix: Collateral
"Collateral" is a four-part thriller set in London that takes place over four days. When a pizza delivery driver is shot down in South London, Detective Inspector Kip Glaspie, played by "Great Gatsby" star Carey Mulligan, is left in charge of the investigation and refuses to accept the murder as just a random act of violence. As she investigates, she soon finds herself being drawn into the darker side of underworld London.

Rosemary and Thyme
Season 1 • 2003 • 6 Episodes

In the first series of this crime drama Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme start a gardening consultancy called Rosemary and Thyme. They tackle all kinds of horticultural problems, but also meet with murder and mayhem wherever they go.

Cagney and Lacey meet Miss Marple? :)

Last night we watched "The Laundromat." Great movie but you have to keep telling yourself that it is based on real events. (How rich people stay rich.)

When her idyllic vacation takes an unthinkable turn, Ellen Martin begins investigating a fake insurance policy, only to find herself down a rabbit hole of questionable dealings that can be linked to a Panama City law firm and its vested interest in helping the world's wealthiest citizens amass larger fortunes.

Meryl Streep - Ellen Martin / Elena
Gary Oldman - Jürgen Mossack
Antonio Banderas - Ramón Fonseca
Jeffrey Wright - Malchus Irvin Boncamper
Melissa Rauch - Melanie
Sharon Stone - Hannah
David Schwimmer - Matthew Quirk
Matthias Schoenaerts - Maywood
James Cromwell - Joseph David Martin
Nonso Anozie - Charles

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=laun&jbv=80994011&jbp=0&jbr=0

Watching Daybreak which is campy end of the world, definitely teen oriented, and just finished October Faction which was entertaining and had a decent twist. Also campy, but I really like the actress who plays the wife so it was fun seeing her in a new show and I enjoyed the journey.

The "Villains" is kind of a strange movie... melodramatic? But if you are fans of Kyra Sedwick (The Closer) and/or Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice), it is worth it.

When their car breaks down, a couple on the run headed southbound for a fresh start in the Sunshine State break into a nearby house looking for a new set of wheels. What they find instead is a dark secret, and a sweet-as-pie pair of homeowners who will do anything to keep it from getting out.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/villains-ac3b54d9-7008-4cb3-b808-3fd137016812

i'm about finished with Interrogation on CBS all access - really really good

I am still liking Vienna Blood on PBS. A somewhat burnt out detective partners with a smarty-pants young psychiatrist who is a disciple of the new guy on the block - Sigmond Freud. It takes place in pre WW2 Vienna.

We have been watching Corner Gas on Idmb (free, a few commercials). It is an old show, sorta like Northern Exposure. Canadian Broadcasting from 2004 to 2009.

Just finished the two seasons of Imposters on Netflix. Someone here recommended it. I agree. Thought it was really good.

Never heard of the lead actress before but whoa! Her name is Inbar Lavi.

Back
Top Bottom