Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My relatives all had Covid shots. The older ones like my wife and myself all had 4 shots, while the young generation all had 2 shots.

Yet, my brother, his wife, and his daughter caught Covid when visiting Stockholm two months ago.

My niece, her husband, and their daughter caught Covid in town and not when traveling.

Most recently, my daughter caught Covid from work, and infected my son-in-law who worked at home.

In all cases, the symptoms were mild like a cold. And the self-administered tests all proved positive. They all got better within a few days. My daughter did have a loss of taste and smell for a couple of days. She had so much work she worked from home throughout the period.

So, we conclude that the vaccination works to reduce the severity.

PS. I told my daughter about Paxlovid, but she and her husband took nothing. My brother was a bit more worried because of his age and did get a prescription of Paxlovid, and I think he was the only one who took any medication.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Risk of dementia, brain fog, up to 2 years after Covid
Old 08-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Risk of dementia, brain fog, up to 2 years after Covid

https://www.the-sun.com/health/60229...o-years-later/

Quote:
CATCHING Covid increases your risk of conditions including dementia, psychosis and brain fog up to two years after infection, a new study suggests.
Now this is not good news! Luckily, I did not suffer from depression during Covid. However as one who got "long covid", including brain fog, I can attest to the fact that you don't want it. To me it felt like dementia must feel to those poor souls who are suffering with that condition.

On the other hand, it's good to know that this actually happens, so that if it happens to you then you know it will go away, and you don't think you're going nuts.

I love that this study (from Lancet) looked at 1.25 million people who had Covid. A big "N" like that gives me more confidence in the study.

Personally, I think I am done with brain fog. In 23 days it will have been a year since I was first hospitalized with severe Covid double pneumonia. I still have some trouble remembering names occasionally, and so on; but then I'm 74 and I suspect it would be unusual if that never happened at my age.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

DD started feeling bad a week ago. I had a bad headache, sore throat starting Saturday.

DW, DD and I all home tested Sunday, Sep 4. Positive test for DD and I, DW negative.

Called my Dr today and he prescribed Paxlovid for me at my request. DD has fully recovered (symptomatically).

DW started feeling worse today, temperature up around 101-ish. Probably retest her tomorrow.
Born2Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I'm well now and have been. DW caught it from me around the 10th of August and still has nagging symptoms. She was like that when we had Covid-19 in April 2020 kept getting feelings better then not.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #165
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Personally, I think I am done with brain fog.
Thatís really good to hear.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
https://www.the-sun.com/health/60229...o-years-later/

Now this is not good news! Luckily, I did not suffer from depression during Covid. However as one who got "long covid", including brain fog, I can attest to the fact that you don't want it. To me it felt like dementia must feel to those poor souls who are suffering with that condition.

On the other hand, it's good to know that this actually happens, so that if it happens to you then you know it will go away, and you don't think you're going nuts.

I love that this study (from Lancet) looked at 1.25 million people who had Covid. A big "N" like that gives me more confidence in the study.

Personally, I think I am done with brain fog. In 23 days it will have been a year since I was first hospitalized with severe Covid double pneumonia. I still have some trouble remembering names occasionally, and so on; but then I'm 74 and I suspect it would be unusual if that never happened at my age.
Thanks for sharing the link and your personal experience. Good to know things may get better with time.
Born2Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I came back from my 3 day cruise to Ensenada, Mexico and had a scratchy throat and a cough. I took a COVID test and it came back positive. It’s been three days since I’ve been home now and I’m still really sick. I’ve been vaccinated and had two boosters but I still got a bad case of COVID. I think this is going to be my last cruise for the foreseeable future.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I came back from my 3 day cruise to Ensenada, Mexico and had a scratchy throat and a cough. I took a COVID test and it came back positive. Itís been three days since Iíve been home now and Iím still really sick. Iíve been vaccinated and had two boosters but I still got a bad case of COVID. I think this is going to be my last cruise for the foreseeable future.
Too bad, Ready, hope you get well soon!
Old 09-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #169

Quote:
I came back from my 3 day cruise to Ensenada, Mexico and had a scratchy throat and a cough. I took a COVID test and it came back positive. Itís been three days since Iíve been home now and Iím still really sick. Iíve been vaccinated and had two boosters but I still got a bad case of COVID. I think this is going to be my last cruise for the foreseeable future.
Can you get the anitviral Paxlovid or it is too late?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Can you get the anitviral Paxlovid or it is too late?
Yes, Iím on dose 3 of Paxlovid. Iím not feeling any better yet. This is the sickest Iíve ever been. There are times Iím coughing so bad Iím afraid IĒm going to choke.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #171

Feel better Ready!
Old 09-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #172

Quote:
Yes, Iím on dose 3 of Paxlovid. Iím not feeling any better yet. This is the sickest Iíve ever been. There are times Iím coughing so bad Iím afraid IĒm going to choke.
So sorry. How is your oxygen level? Do you have a Oximeter? Is there any one to help you? Should you call 911? I am concerned for you.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #173

I can't help but notice that the majority of people reporting that they got COVID in recent weeks/months came down with it after traveling. I just had a similar experience. Went to Alaska in late July, stayed at a lodge for 6 days. One guy at the lodge was sick, I don't think he ever tested for COVID, but he spent the last day or two alone in his cabin (before that, I was around him for dinners, etc). We departed for home after that............had a horrible, long, red-eye flight coming home, so I got zero sleep for over 24 hours (closer to 36 hours). Got home, felt sick the next day. Fever, body aches, fatigue. Got a little sleep for 2 nights and was slowly recovering, but then........INSOMNIA kicked in. As tired as I was, I could NOT fall asleep for 4 straight nights - just laid there most of the night, exhausted and frustrated. Felt really horrible after that, so went to Urgent Care to get something to knock me out. They gave me 2 different drugs. Took the stronger one first, and that did knock me out, thankfully. Finally slept, but felt groggy the whole next day, with a dull headache. Took the weaker/safer drug the next two nights (an antihistamine), and slept okay, but felt groggy for half the next day, both times. Finally, last night, I was able to sleep through the night with no drugs. What a relief. Never had insomnia before in my life, but I am reading now that it is not an uncommon symptom after this latest COVID strain. Anyone else have issues with insomnia after COVID? I would not wish it on anyone.........I can see why they keep people awake to torture them. I can handle the fever/body ache/fatigue, as long as I am sleeping at night, but insomnia for several nights is just terrible.

I don't think I will be traveling too far from home in the foreseeable future. Do not want to go through something like this again.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
So sorry. How is your oxygen level? Do you have a Oximeter? Is there any one to help you? Should you call 911? I am concerned for you.
Iím at 96% so I think Iím OK there. My doctor said to just take the Paxlovid and tough it out. My partner has been getting me some food and juices to stay hydrated.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:50 AM   #175

Quote:

Iím so sorry youíre going through this. Hope you feel better soon.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 AM   #176
Administrator

Quote:
All the best, hope you improve soon.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:40 AM   #177

Quote:
Iím at 96% so I think Iím OK there. My doctor said to just take the Paxlovid and tough it out. My partner has been getting me some food and juices to stay hydrated.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #178

Quote:
Take care, hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #179

Hoping that you recover quickly.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:07 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I can't help but notice that the majority of people reporting that they got COVID in recent weeks/months came down with it after traveling. I just had a similar experience.
My brother sent me an email yesterday saying that he and his wife just came down with COVID. They had spent several months in Europe recently, but got back to the US three weeks before he felt his first symptom.

They only feel like they have a mild cold, and they are on Paxlovid and vaxed/boostered. My hypothesis is that maybe they got a very mild version of Omicron while traveling, and then it took a couple of weeks before they were even aware of any symptoms. But who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Take care, hope you feel better soon!
+1 Hoping for the best. What worked for me was lots of rest and sleep, healthy food, and immediate medical attention as needed. The nurses in the ICU were terrific although I can't remember much about what went on in the hospital.