I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

Brother In law who lives in Perth Australia just texted wife. He just tested positive. He feels really sick at the moment. Not around a lot of people and thinks he might have got it from work as his boss had it a few weeks ago...:facepalm: Kind of disappointing to hear after the lock downs Australia went through.

Brother In law who lives in Perth Australia just texted wife. He just tested positive. He feels really sick at the moment. Not around a lot of people and thinks he might have got it from work as his boss had it a few weeks ago...:facepalm: Kind of disappointing to hear after the lock downs Australia went through.

Sorry to hear that! I hope he recovers soon. :(

I spent several hours at the Emergency Room on Oct 13 to get checked out after falling and hitting my head. Four days later got a cell
phone notification that I had been exposed for more than 15 min to someone who had tested positive for COVID. Not surprising since we were packed in like sardines in the waiting room for hours. I wore my KN95 mask the entire time and never got ill or tested positive.

I spent several hours at the Emergency Room on Oct 13 to get checked out after falling and hitting my head. Four days later got a cell
phone notification that I had been exposed for more than 15 min to someone who had tested positive for COVID. Not surprising since we were packed in like sardines in the waiting room for hours. I wore my KN95 mask the entire time and never got ill or tested positive.

Glad to hear you were able to avoid contracting Covid. I don't think there would be anything but advantages from wearing a mask in a crowd. It is our practice too.

Cheers!

I feel bad for my best friend. He is currently on about his 10th day with Covid symptoms (he also tested positive). He is a nurse and had managed to avoid Covid from the start up until this point. He even was in charge of the primary mass testing facility in his mid-size city during the worst of the early days. He managed that site for one year and encountered thousands of people being tested.

He also has had a full slate of the vaccines. He got his 5th shot about one month before catching Covid -- the bivalent one. So there's not much else he could have done.

I had Covid a little more than a month ago and my symptoms were very mild. His, however, have been strong. He totally lost smell/taste. Has headaches. Bad head congestion. Body aches. He's going absolutely crazy in isolation.

However, as bad as he is, I still tease him a little. He's always telling me "I don't get sick... I'm a nurse". His theory is that he's exposed to so much at work that his body develops protections better than the average person. Which may be true. So every time he tells me how miserable he is right now, I remind him how he has said that to me about 100 times over the years. At least he laughs for a minute during his miserableness.

He just re-tested this morning and is still positive. At his work, he can't go back to work until he tests negative AND has no symptoms. He's got a way to go still.

We had our weekend Mom/sister trip cancelled due to my sis testing positive last Thursday. She got it traveling to and from Seattle. She has been sick in bed since Thursday night with body aches and fever. We postponed until the weekend before Thanksgiving. We are going to stay in an airBNB in the Kansas City area.

I think she only got the very first vaccine. She is 55 and a very healthy person in general.

I feel like I dodged another bullet.

Glad to hear you were able to avoid contracting Covid. I don't think there would be anything but advantages from wearing a mask in a crowd. It is our practice too.

Cheers!

+1

I have an important family event coming up and I decided to not attend a talk by a well known speaker in my area. Sitting for 2+ hours in a crowded auditorium does not seem prudent even with a mask on. Just the other day a friend cancelled a lunch appt with me because his wife had come down with Covid.

The Covid hospitalization and death rates are way, way down. I see no reason to help them come back to higher levels.

I feel bad for my best friend. He is currently on about his 10th day with Covid symptoms (he also tested positive). He is a nurse and had managed to avoid Covid from the start up until this point. He even was in charge of the primary mass testing facility in his mid-size city during the worst of the early days. He managed that site for one year and encountered thousands of people being tested.

He also has had a full slate of the vaccines. He got his 5th shot about one month before catching Covid -- the bivalent one. So there's not much else he could have done.

I had Covid a little more than a month ago and my symptoms were very mild. His, however, have been strong. He totally lost smell/taste. Has headaches. Bad head congestion. Body aches. He's going absolutely crazy in isolation.
Poor guy! He has my sympathy.

Isn't there a new, much more severe variant of Covid on the horizon? Seems like I read something to that effect but I hope I'm 1000% wrong. Maybe that's what he got.

I’m just over Covid. Had it for a week and the first three days were horrible. The fever was the worst of it. Now completely gone and feeling fine. Taste back too. Basically like the flu for me.

Isn't there a new, much more severe variant of Covid on the horizon? Seems like I read something to that effect but I hope I'm 1000% wrong. Maybe that's what he got.

Perhaps. We will never know. He’s only done home tests so far, so no way to know the variant for him.

Dry hack, no sore throat, intermittent deluge from sinus, can't smell black pepper or much of anything else, no fever, no aches, no pains. Lasted a few days, still had enough energy for bike rides but slept extra and ate spicy food.

Only oddity was developing nervous tic in one eye and mild waxy infection in other. All gone in about a week except for tic.

My typical flu/cold bug easily took a month to recover from weight loss, sweats, fever, bronchitis, lung and sinus infections. I'll take my covid over my flu any time.

Isn't there a new, much more severe variant of Covid on the horizon?
Seems like I read something to that effect but I hope I'm 1000% wrong. Maybe that's what he got.

A new variant should not be a surprise. If past evolutionary processes and viral mutations are any indication then I would expect this to be the norm for a number of years to come. Given the number of Covid mutations that have already occurred I would not think more variations would stop any time soon.

My wife and I have done everything available to safeguard and will continue to wear masks, maintain a distance when around others, and dine outside on the rare occasions we eat out. We are not interested in being sick or die early in the few years we have left. I don't understand the thought process of why someone would take unnecessary chances.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I'm all for distancing, just like always. I hate masks, so I only wear them when the sign on the door tells me to. I'm enjoying the open dining rooms again. I get vacc'ed whenever available.

Otherwise covid has become a non-issue for me.

DS and DDIL have been vexed (and vaxed) by Covid for 2 years. Big Wedding plans were scrubbed in December 2020. They got married in their apartment with 10 of us there, all tested and isolated before going.

Had a ceremony and reception in November 2021. 2 days later Bride and Groom and one Groomsman test positive (There could have been others, but all were informed and no one else said anything).

Had a reception in STL area in March 2022 for locals that could not make the wedding. DW and I test positive 2 days later. All were informed, no one else said they got it.

3 weeks ago they went to a destination wedding in Ireland, then went on to Portugal for a belated honeymoon. A day after arriving in Lisbon they both tested positive again.

All cases were VERY mild, and they were able to enjoy Lisbon with a lot of outside activities and fly home (following local guidelines).

Crazy times.

A new variant should not be a surprise. If past evolutionary processes and viral mutations are any indication then I would expect this to be the norm for a number of years to come. Given the number of Covid mutations that have already occurred I would not think more variations would stop any time soon.

My wife and I have done everything available to safeguard and will continue to wear masks, maintain a distance when around others, and dine outside on the rare occasions we eat out. We are not interested in being sick or die early in the few years we have left. I don't understand the thought process of why someone would take unnecessary chances.

Cheers!

Cheers!

And then there are, IMHO, stupid people doing stoopid things: https://www.forbes.com/sites/steven...thought-this-was-a-good-idea/?sh=68df10d35ca3

Gain-Of-Function Experiments At Boston University Create A Deadly New Covid-19 Virus. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?

DH and I tested positive yesterday. I believe DH has been positive for a while but is stubborn. I just started sneezing 2 days ago and have a runny nose. No congestion. I've had the bivalent vaccine and the flu shot. I don't feel bad and have energy. But I'm only a couple of days positive as far as I know. O2 level is 99 and temp 98.5. The triage nurse said I'm doing pretty good. DH on the other hand has lots of phlegm and coughing, chills, and sweating.

DH and I tested positive yesterday. I believe DH has been positive for a while but is stubborn. I just started sneezing 2 days ago and have a runny nose. No congestion. I've had the bivalent vaccine and the flu shot. I don't feel bad and have energy. But I'm only a couple of days positive as far as I know. O2 level is 99 and temp 98.5. The triage nurse said I'm doing pretty good. DH on the other hand has lots of phlegm and coughing, chills, and sweating.

Is this your (or DH's) second time catching COVID? I feel like I saw your post about this a long time ago, but I could be wrong.

Is this your (or DH's) second time catching COVID? I feel like I saw your post about this a long time ago, but I could be wrong.

Yes! He caught the original Covid in April 2020. Very scary and he was very sick. He refused to go to the doctor and I never caught it. He finally went to critical care and they ex rayed his lungs. He had bacterial pneumonia, which is what can happen after a Covid infection. They gave him antibiotics and he recovered. Our house is well-ventilated and circulates air every 45 minutes. We had the Merv 11 air filter. And he isolated himself.

This time, I spent hours in the ER with my relative with digestive issues. I figure I got it there. I was going to buy Claritin for allergies. BTW, I re-tested yesterday, positive. Still, runny nose and sneezing. But I feel fine. Good appetite and energy...knock on wood. Might be too early.

Yes! He caught the original Covid in April 2020. Very scary and he was very sick. He refused to go to the doctor and I never caught it. He finally went to critical care and they ex rayed his lungs. He had bacterial pneumonia, which is what can happen after a Covid infection. They gave him antibiotics and he recovered. Our house is well-ventilated and circulates air every 45 minutes. We had the Merv 11 air filter. And he isolated himself.

This time, I spent hours in the ER with my relative with digestive issues. I figure I got it there. I was going to buy Claritin for allergies. BTW, I re-tested yesterday, positive. Still, runny nose and sneezing. But I feel fine. Good appetite and energy...knock on wood. Might be too early.

Thanks for your explanation and your update. I hope you and your DH get better in no time. How many days did it take from your ER visit to the onset of your symptoms? Just curious.

I was in close contact with someone last Wednesday and he tested positive 4 days later on Sunday. (He's been sick since Monday of last week but he thought he had a cold as he was testing negative for COVID at that point, so we played volleyball on the same team next to each other for about 1.5 hours while he was kind of sick but not yet testing positive for COVID. He didn't have a mask on, but I did.) It's been one week since I was with him and I still don't have any symptoms so I think I'm in the clear.

There's a cold going on in my neck of the woods right now, and it's getting harder to tell if people are actually suffering from a cold or something else.

Last edited:
I got my Pfizer booster yesterday. Initially a little wiggy in the head and a metallic taste in the mouth. Both of those went away. This morning just feel some aches, but overall a mild reaction.

I went to Disneyland in early September and came back with Covid.
To be more precise- my son, who I was traveling with came down with Covid 2 days after our return. I tested positive 2 days after he did. We flew to so cal and back and drove home together. I’m assuming my son picked it up at Disneyland or maybe even the airport on our flight there.
Anyway, I tested positive 2 days after him although I think he was sick the day before testing.

Symptoms were mild- congestion, irritated throat- like with a cold, sneezing, slight cough.
Really basic cold symptoms.
Had a video appointment with my dr and he said since my symptoms were mild I didn’t need to take paxlovid. If my symptoms worsened in the 5 day time period I could contact him for the prescription. They didn’t worsen.
Dr said rest and drink lots of fluids which I did. Had a slight headache the second evening but I didn’t need to take anything.
Similar to a cold I was feeling much better on day 4 and pretty much back to normal on day 5.
I still tested positive until day 11. Tested negative days 11 and 13.
My son had basically the same symptoms I had.

We are both vaccinated and boosted. The new vaccine came out just as we were going on vacation ( naturally) so we didn’t have that. I had the second booster shot but my son didn’t because he’s a young guy under 40.

Interestingly, my other son and 2 grandkids flew with us but did not get sick. They did drive home in a different car. Not sure if that’s the difference or not.

Thanks for your explanation and your update. I hope you and your DH get better in no time. How many days did it take from your ER visit to the onset of your symptoms? Just curious.

I was in close contact with someone last Wednesday and he tested positive 4 days later on Sunday. (He's been sick since Monday of last week but he thought he had a cold as he was testing negative for COVID at that point, so we played volleyball on the same team next to each other for about 1.5 hours while he was kind of sick but not yet testing positive for COVID. He didn't have a mask on, but I did.) It's been one week since I was with him and I still don't have any symptoms so I think I'm in the clear.

There's a cold going on in my neck of the woods right now, and it's getting harder to tell if people are actually suffering from a cold or something else.

It's hard to tell. I was in the ER for several days, off and on. then she was admitted. I wore a mask, many in the ER and hospital did not! Honestly, the virus is floating around everywhere. I believe there are so many people walking around that are positive and don't know it. The symptoms are mild for most people. I was surprised I was positive! And the 2nd follow-up test to be sure. Now, I think my DH has the flu and Covid combined. He did not get a flu shot or a bivalent vaccine. The flu can act much worse. What can one say? Do the best you can to keep yourself safe. There are no guarantees!

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday. Initially a little wiggy in the head and a metallic taste in the mouth. Both of those went away. This morning just feel some aches, but overall a mild reaction.
(my bold)

Wow...even though it's not pleasant, I'm glad I'm not alone. Every covid shot I've had has caused that taste in my mouth. I've had J&J, Moderna boosters and my last shot two days ago was bivalent Moderna.

DH and I both had minor chills and did not rest well Monday night, but today we feel much better.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got COVID. I woke up Sunday with a scratchy throat and muscle aches and although at that time I tested negative, we cancelled all social plans. I felt a bit better Monday, although cold symptoms progressed further. Tuesday morning, my cold symptoms were worse so I retested. Yep - positive. Got a Paxlovid Rx today and started it.

So far my symptoms are very much like a bad cold - sore throat, congestion, sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and fatigue. No bad headaches. Appetite down and will probably go down more with the Paxlovid. I could still smell and taste food before I started the drug, but now I can barely taste anything. Guess I will help me lose those last few pounds I’ve been trying to get off.

Back
Top Bottom