I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

Well, I finally got COVID. I woke up Sunday with a scratchy throat and muscle aches and although at that time I tested negative, we cancelled all social plans. I felt a bit better Monday, although cold symptoms progressed further. Tuesday morning, my cold symptoms were worse so I retested. Yep - positive. Got a Paxlovid Rx today and started it.

So far my symptoms are very much like a bad cold - sore throat, congestion, sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and fatigue. No bad headaches. Appetite down and will probably go down more with the Paxlovid. I could still smell and taste food before I started the drug, but now I can barely taste anything. Guess I will help me lose those last few pounds I’ve been trying to get off.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon, Scuba! Good idea to cancel all social plans for a while. Time to get some rest. :(

Got it three weeks ago. Stuffy nose; couldn't shake it. Essentialy a really bad cold. That's it. PCP says it's much less dangerous now because this variant does not attack your lungs and stays in your head.

He doesn't like Paxlovid because very often you feel better for a few days and then get it again. He claims that having had it (Covid variant) is better protection than getting the shot.

Anyway, after about a week I'm back to normal (whatever normal is).

Last edited:
Got it three weeks ago. Stuffy nose; couldn't shake it. Essentialy a really bad cold. That's it. PCP says it's much less dangerous now because this variant does not attack your lungs and stays in your head.

He doesn't like Paxlovid because very often you feel better for a few days and then get it again. He claims that having had it (Covid variant) is better protection than getting the shot.

We both had it in May. Symptoms like a head cold. 5-7 days later. All good.

Though I had a customer at the winery over the weekend who lost her taste. Every wine I poured she hated. I could see the frustration in her face. It hits some people different than others.

Though I had a customer at the winery over the weekend who lost her taste. Every wine I poured she hated. I could see the frustration in her face. It hits some people different than others.

I was born without a sense of smell; taste is almost zero. Was kinda hoping it would work in reverse. :LOL:

I was born without a sense of smell; taste is almost zero. Was kinda hoping it would work in reverse. [emoji23]
Oh, no! Very sorry to hear that. I cannot imagine what that would be like...

We both had it in May. Symptoms like a head cold. 5-7 days later. All good.

I’m hoping it’s temporary but since I started the Paxlovid, nothing tastes good to me. Before I started it, my taste buds worked fine, but for the last day, nothing tastes very good. I can very slightly distinguish between sweet and savory, but that’s it.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon, Scuba! Good idea to cancel all social plans for a while. Time to get some rest. :(

Thank you! I know you had a rough experience with COVID. Glad you are doing well now.

Reactions: W2R

Makes sense. This definitely seems to be staying in my head so far. I read about the relapse risk with Paxlovid but the percentage is very small. Decided to take the chance in the interest of speeding up my recovery. Fingers crossed.

Makes sense. This definitely seems to be staying in my head so far. I read about the relapse risk with Paxlovid but the percentage is very small. Decided to take the chance in the interest of speeding up my recovery. Fingers crossed.

My PCP said Paxlovid does not speed recovery. She said it only makes symptoms easier to handle. Much like Tamiflu is prescribed for the flu. I chose not to take it, but am lucky my symptoms were mild.

Just an update - DH and I both caught COVID, took Paxlovid, and tested negative about 6 days after the first symptoms. We are both much better now but both have lingering congestion and are more tired than usual. Hopefully fully back to normal within a few more days.

Just an update - DH and I both caught COVID, took Paxlovid, and tested negative about 6 days after the first symptoms. We are both much better now but both have lingering congestion and are more tired than usual. Hopefully fully back to normal within a few more days.

Glad you are both much better now! Recovery from Covid can take a while. I suspect that if you are tired, that is your body telling you that you need rest. Thanks for the update!

Glad you are both much better now! Recovery from Covid can take a while. I suspect that if you are tired, that is your body telling you that you need rest. Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the good wishes! Yes, we decided to lay low this weekend and hopefully recover fully soon.

Well, we both recovered from COVID but DH got a rebound case after Paxlovid. He’s now on Day 4 of COVID round 2, just a few days after testing negative following round 1. Hopefully he will be over it next week. He has improved a lot already.

Fortunately I have avoided round 2, although I still have some mild cold symptoms.

Well, we both recovered from COVID but DH got a rebound case after Paxlovid. He’s now on Day 4 of COVID round 2, just a few days after testing negative following round 1. Hopefully he will be over it next week. He has improved a lot already.

Fortunately I have avoided round 2, although I still have some mild cold symptoms.

Well, so much for Paxlovid! :angel: I guess it's only supposed to lessen the symptoms but gosh, getting Covid again so soon must be discouraging for him.

I'm glad that at least you didn't get Covid a second time. :)

Well, so much for Paxlovid! :angel: I guess it's only supposed to lessen the symptoms but gosh, getting Covid again so soon must be discouraging for him.

Thank you! Me too. I’m hoping he will test negative tomorrow. He has seemed much better over the weekend but we’ve been laying low so no reason to test yet.

Update - DH tested negative today! And both of us are finally over the lingering cold symptoms we had. Yay!! Happy Thanksgiving!

I also had the rebound but the only symptom was a positive test...nothing else. It took about 3 days to get a negative test. If I were to do it over again, I would have most certainly taken the Paxlovid. As a matter of fact, I am getting over a head cold that was quite a bit worse than my bout with Covid.

Sooner or later we figured we would get Covid - and it has finally arrived, at least partially, at Thanksgiving. Something to give thanks for, I guess :).

After we returning from swimming at our gym yesterday afternoon, DW started having a headache. She thought it was from the swimming. By 6pm she started getting chills and feeling hot. She took her temperature and had a fever. Took a Covid test, and the faint red line of positivity appeared. I tested negative - feeling fine, no symptoms.

Fortunately we have a relatively large home with 3 finished levels, so it is easy for us to quarantine and isolate from each other. This morning she felt a little better, no fever or headache, and tested again to be sure - the red line of positivity was solid.

So much for our Thanksgiving plans :). She had the turkey all prepared for going into the oven, but that will have to wait. A couple of our sons and a few of their friends were going to come over, of course that is cancelled. Fortunately they have other options for Thanksgiving, so they will not miss out.

Though she masks more frequently than I do, there are a couple of places (mainly friends houses) she went to in the past few days without me, and those are the likely suspects. Plus she tends to strike up conversations with strangers at various places, something I have warned her about but it is a hard habit for her to break :). We have made them aware of our situation.

So now it is wait and see how this progresses with her, and if I end up with it.

I am so sorry to hear this, and on Thanksgiving, of all days!! :( :(

I wish your wife a very speedy recovery. With luck you won't get it too.

Here's to a speedy recovery, sorry your DW is ill.

I am so sorry to hear this, and on Thanksgiving, of all days!! :( :(

I wish your wife a very speedy recovery. With luck you won't get it too.

Here's to a speedy recovery, sorry your DW is ill.

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, the saga continues, now for both of us. DW continued to feel better started feeling better Saturday and now is virtually symptom free, except for some slight fatigue (no brain fog, she says it just makes her want to stay in bed and read a lot of books :)). She tested yesterday and was still positive.

I felt fine until Friday afternoon, then fever, chills, cough. Could not sleep. Tested Saturday morning - negative. Continued with slight fever and wet cough/congestion into Sunday morning. Tested again - positive.

Since then, my fever broke Sunday afternoon, nasal congestion cleared up, and a very slight cough. But as of today, I am still positive, though the line looked a little fainter than my Sunday test.

So, we will keep toughing this out. We will still keep our distance and mask around each other. But again with a large house and land (and the weather has been good) it makes the quarantine/isolation much easier to bear. In my case, watching College Football all day Saturday, NFL Football all day Sunday, and filling in the "gaps" with the Word Cup games has made dealing with the symptoms much easier :).

Neither of us lost our sense of taste, but we did lose our appetite - I have lost about 5 pounds since Thursday. That is coming back, but I will try not to pig out too quickly :).

So sorry to read that you have come down with Covid too, Jollystomper!! Take care and I hope you recover completely and soon. :(

I went to the VA for an issue Monday afternoon and due to some special circumstances, I had to take a PCR COVID test. What a waste of resources, I thought, until it came back positive! I had/have no symptoms and I never would have known I was positive without the PCR result. Both DH and I have had all available vaccines and boosters.

Knowing I was positive, I decided to take a home test to see what it showed. The first home test showed a negative result so I took a second one. The second test showed a line so faint I had to ask my husband if he saw a line. He did and I thought I did. We tested my husband at home and he tested negative but that doesn't really tell us anything based on my home test results. He has no symptoms either.

So, according to my doc, this means I have a very light viral load. This is good because I drove my elderly (79) neighbor to get her blood drawn Monday morning and she has refused all vaccines and boosters. About 20 minutes in the car each way. I recommended she start taking her temperature a couple of times a day so we can see if it starts trending up. She didn't bother to do that today (Tuesday). She said she will do it tomorrow. We'll see.

I am staying home, wearing a mask in the house, and sleeping in the guest bedroom.

So sorry to read that you have come down with Covid too, Jollystomper!! Take care and I hope you recover completely and soon. :(

Thank you kindly!

I am all clear and the world is safe from me now <grin>. Symptoms completely clear by Friday 12/1 and have tested negative since Sunday morning 12/4.

DW and "celebrated" yesterday by leaving the homestead for the first time in about 2 weeks and getting some good burgers. We had plenty of food while quarantined, but 2 weeks of eating turkey and ham and other thanksgiving stuff we had stocked up on before getting sick was getting tiring :). Five Guys never tasted so unhealthy and good :LOL:.

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom