I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

Sorry to read that you may have Covid. :( Glad your symptoms thus far are not too bad. Maybe you should see your doctor?

I don't really know much about the validity of the home tests, other than what I read here and on other forums, but I sure seem to read about a lot of "iffy" results. I never had a home test myself. If I think I might have Covid, I'll just stay home and take all precautions as though I do have it, until I feel better.

The one time when I did have Covid, last September, it was a pretty severe case and hit me like a ton of bricks. I got really sick in just an hour or so. Frank called for an ambulance, which I remember (and resisted! :LOL: ) but I don't remember anything after that. Apparently they took me to a hospital, where a Covid test was done and after they diagnosed Covid double pneumonia, they sent me from the emergency room to the ICU.

I didn't get my oximeter until a few days after I was released from the hospital two weeks later, and had returned home. At first I was getting readings around 87-92, but that improved in just a day or two or three and never again got that low. Since then, my oxygen has been 95-97. I still measure it every morning, mostly because I think the oximeter is fun to use. :)

I have a fever this morning and just did one of those free government tests and it showed positive.

I assume it cannot be a false positive??

We just go our second covid booster on Tuesday, so I was hoping this could be a reaction to it. But upon googling, I do not think boosters would cause a positive test. Although it could cause a fever.

Coincidentally, I just ordered and received an oximeter. My o2 levels are fine. I think I just take tylenol and advil for fever and if nothing escalates, I should be fine.

I feel fine other than the fever and am generally healthy.

False positives are possible. Try another test later or tomorrow and you'll know for sure.

I don't know how your booster shot procedure was, but ours involved putting a lot of people in small rooms. Your timing suspiciously points to you actually picking up Covid at the shot site. Bummer.

My experiences with shot after effects came the day after the shots. I suspect that you have Covid if you were healthy after the shot until today - and you did test positive.

This disease has a habit of turning for the worse quickly. In your shoes, I would see if you qualify for Paxlovid and get a course prescribed in case you need it.

False positives are pretty rare. Most folks who get a home-test positive don't have to take another test for treatment. It's also too late and not a match to typical booster side effects.

Proceed as if you have Covid.

Covid is rampant in most communities. You have symptoms consistent with Covid, and you have a positive home test result. When you hear hoofbeats, think "horse", not "zebra."

The home tests are quite good at detecting Covid in symptomatic people - showing both high (>95%) sensitivity and high specificity ( close to 100%). The sensitivity is much worse for asymptomatic people (perhaps in the 80% range).

So... a positive home test combined with symptoms is very likely to mean you have Covid.

Five members of my family got covid. My niece got it in October 2020. She has long covid and still has brain fog (she's 24) and gets tired easily. She could not taste pepper on a spoon. My brother has an autoimmune disease (it's a rare vascular disease) we all worried about him (in his 50's). He got it and sailed through it like it was cold. Back feeling good after 3-4 days.

Two other siblings had mild symptoms but my DSI had heart side effects. Really scary. And she got pretty sick. A Christmas party caused 3 of the cases. It's so weird how a few people get it while others do not in the very same situation. We all sat near each other, breathed on each other, and ate together. This after 2 vaccines and a booster for all of us.

I don't want to get into the details too much, but DW had a false positive PCR test. 1 out of 6 tests in an 8 day period came back positive and she had no symptoms. The app crashed during her one postive test and we're thinking it was a clerical error, not an actual bad test.

Very importantly, she also took 6 home tests during that time and every single one was negative.

If you have symptoms and a positive on the home test, assume you have Covid.

Personally, I'd look for a test to treat location and get a free prescription of Paxlovid . The FDA is also allowing pharmacists to prescribe, so that is another avenue. If you are going to take Paxlovid, it is critical to take it early.

Please monitor yourself carefully, and touch base with your doctor if you have any health issues.

This disease has a habit of turning for the worse quickly. In your shoes, I would see if you qualify for Paxlovid and get a course prescribed in case you need it.
+1 If you are in the first day or two of symptoms even if mild, that's when you need to get on the Paxlovid. If you wait to see if your symptoms suddenly worsen it will likely be too late for Paxlovid.

Well in 5-6 weeks go have the blood test ran. You’ll have your answer.

We haven’t been infected yet, that we know of. We have done home rest 4 times in last year and 3 PCR tests at Kaiser, all negative. Our plan if we get positive home test is to get one at Kaiser and isolate till we know results.
I know friends have just isolated for 5 or more days, others have gone full blown doctor care. All we know personally have recovered 100% they say,but we will follow Kaiser advice if we get a positive test.
Just our plan :)

I'm now on the far side of my covid bout. Symptoms started Sunday afternoon, didn't test positive on a home test till Tuesday. But I was pretty sure it was covid from Monday on... even though the test showed negative.

My understanding of the home tests is that false negatives are very common. False positives are rare.

If you start to feel more symptoms, chest tightening, cough, aches/fatigue... consider getting a prescription for paxlovid. It has to be within 5 days of the first symptom or positive test (whichever is older/longer). I started feeling the chest/cough/aches symptoms go away within 24 hours of paxlovid. Fatigue lingered and today is the first day I've felt normal.

So if you start to feel worse - get the prescription.

High temperature, lost of taste, chronic cough, runny nose are signs.

I tested negative in London 4 weeks ago, but was sick for 3 weeks upon my return. But I still have good tastes. Mine could have easily been the flu.

If you get completely miserable, be quick to go to the doctor.

Five members of my family got covid. My niece got it in October 2020. She has long covid and still has brain fog (she's 24) and gets tired easily. She could not taste pepper on a spoon. My brother has an autoimmune disease (it's a rare vascular disease) we all worried about him (in his 50's). He got it and sailed through it like it was cold. Back feeling good after 3-4 days.

Two other siblings had mild symptoms but my DSI had heart side effects. Really scary. And she got pretty sick. A Christmas party caused 3 of the cases. It's so weird how a few people get it while others do not in the very same situation. We all sat near each other, breathed on each other, and ate together. This after 2 vaccines and a booster for all of us.

Robustness of individual immune systems is a significant factor.

We both managed to escape COVID all this time, up until 2 weeks ago. DW tested positive on a Monday evening. I tested positive on the following Wednesday. Yesterday was 10 days after my symptoms and testing. We both have various healthcare appointment upcoming this week. So, I tested again yesterday, only to find it still positive. I know the CDC says I don't need to retest and can go out in the public without a mask. I still feel that I should reschedule our appointments out of consideration to them. What would you do?

We both managed to escape COVID all this time, up until 2 weeks ago. DW tested positive on a Monday evening. I tested positive on the following Wednesday. Yesterday was 10 days after my symptoms and testing. We both have various healthcare appointment upcoming this week. So, I tested again yesterday, only to find it still positive. I know the CDC says I don't need to retest and can go out in the public without a mask. I still feel that I should reschedule our appointments out of consideration to them. What would you do?

Most medical places still require masking.
If you are still testing positive, I would cancel.
Or call and ask them.

I have a fever this morning and just did one of those free government tests and it showed positive.

I assume it cannot be a false positive??

We just go our second covid booster on Tuesday, so I was hoping this could be a reaction to it. But upon googling, I do not think boosters would cause a positive test. Although it could cause a fever.

Coincidentally, I just ordered and received an oximeter. My o2 levels are fine. I think I just take tylenol and advil for fever and if nothing escalates, I should be fine.

I feel fine other than the fever and am generally healthy.

Sorry you have Covid. False positives are possible, but not likely, especially with symptoms.
Stay hydrated, treat symptoms.
I would contact your health care provider to check in and see if they would recommend Plaxlovid as best to start that ASAP.
Take Care!

What would you do?

Unless critical, I would rebook. I don't consider "being out in public" the same as being in a medical setting, where you'd be up close with your doctor and their staff. Not quite the same to me as standing in line at the grocery store.

Most medical places still require masking.
If you are still testing positive, I would cancel.
Or call and ask them.

One of the appointments is dental work. No way to wear a mask then. I think I will test again Monday morning. If positive, I will reschedule. Last week, after the initial 5-day isolation, I cancelled 2 physical therapy appointments when wearing a mask should have been acceptable protocall. I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. The virus stops here (at least for me).

We both contracted covid. Did the self test to confirm. Our hospitals, clinics and physicians offices do not want you in the door if you suspect that you have covid. That is what home tests are for and why they distribute them widely in our area.

We stayed home for a week/10 days ....until three or four days after we each tested negative.

It was a simple process for us to get no contact grocery delivery, etc.

We had no desire to pass the virus on to family, friends, neighbors, or strangers. We were fortunate. It was not serious. But others have been far more serious.

We did exactly what our health authority recommended.

Last edited:

I agree. I got it last month and my doc said to get on anti virals immediately

I used the CDC application to determine I could come out of isolation. My case had symptoms start last Sunday and positive test on Tuesday. I started paxlovid Tuesday evening so my final dose was this morning. Just to be sure I tested this morning and was negative. I will mask when among others for the next week.

Here's the CDC application
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

OP, here. I was feeling much better today but since the kind folks on FIRE were concerned, I emailed my doctor first this morning to let him know I tested positive for covid on Saturday and all about my symptoms. His nurse replied that the doctor wanted me to get on Paxlovid, so I just started that today. I was surprised since I am under 60 with no health issues other than high cholesterol. But, I guess better safe than sorry. I just took my first set of pills a few hours ago and already have that nasty metallic taste that others have mentioned. Hopefully, I will feel 100% better soon. As far as I know, both Biden and Harris are on Paxlovid right now as well. So, it must be the recommended path.

Back
Top Bottom