I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there.

I'm utterly puzzled by these statements. You were concerned enough to start this thread, yet you aren't taking the most basic, well-known, effective precautions against getting infected: distancing! If you are not isolating from each other in separate rooms/spaces and not wearing (K)N95 masks, then I think you will certainly end up getting COVID. End of story.

Covid was like a bad cold for me except for the exhaustion. I had the hotel in Ireland buy me a oximeter because being alone I was worried about low oxygen especially since I have asthma. I isolated for 8 days and then once home spent another week sleeping 14 hours a day.

DW and I picked up cases of Covid when we went out to California to visit our new grandchild.

We knew we didn’t have covid visiting the grandchild (tested there), but developed a sniffle when we got back. Since we had some older relatives arriving in a few days, it seemed worthwhile to test and the test was positive.

A month before we both had had a very nasty cold (tested for Covid and it was negative). 10 days of congestion, sore throat, bad runny nose. Worse cold in years.

OTOH, covid was not nearly as bad as that for us. We both a runny nose for about two days, then a light dry cough for another couple of days. That was it.

I have read that there is some growing evidence that a daily sinus rinse can be helpful in reducing Covid symptoms.
Something about the fact it might help reduce viral load?

It seems nearly impossible to predict this. DW had Covid in April, with a very strong positive test and a couple of days of misery (like a bad case of flu). Despite living literally alongside her, I never got it (repeated negative tests).
A couple of our neighbors had similar experiences.
Frank and I probably spend more time together than most married couples, but while I had a pretty bad case of Covid last September, he never got it at all. Our doctor has said he has noticed the same more often than not, with couples under his care. Sure makes me wonder how much or little we know about Covid and how people get it.

Just before Christmas 2020 my sister here caught Covid followed shortly by her husband then their adult daughter.

A few weeks ago she caught it again from work, but did not pass it onto the family. A couple of weeks later her husband caught it from his boss at work but did not pass it onto the family. 2 weeks ago their daughter went to an anime convention for the day and caught it but has not passed it on.

The Office of National Statistics does PCR testing of individuals every week and extrapolates the data to produce trends. For the week ending 29th June it is estimated that over 2m people in England would test positive meaning 1 in 25 had the virus. For Scotland it was 1 in 17.

It is here to stay for a good while yet I think.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...onaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/8july2022

In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 2,154,000 (95% credible interval: 2,062,600 to 2,247,100), equating to 3.95% of the population, or around 1 in 25 people.

Wishing them a speedy recovery. With a recent diagnosis once they recover they should be good to go to travel for a while. Their immunity should be high.

My 28 yr old son that lives with us, got home after work yesterday, and said he had a sore throat. He took his temp and it was slightly elevated, I had an expired test on hand and it showed a very weak but positive test result. I picked up a new fresh test and it now is a definite positive. Gave him Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin C. Now just hoping I don't get it at 67 yrs old
He said he feels better today, but he wasn't all that sick yesterday, I hope that continues. Any suggestions other than stay away, We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there. I'm hoping my immune system just keeps it at bay, any other suggestions?

A 28 yr old adult that gets Covid and won't stay isolated to try and reduce the chances of infecting his 67 yr old parents with Covid. OK, I get the picture.
How concerned are you about the effects of contracting the virus? Since you asked then here is my suggestion. In my house he would be on the street looking for another place to live and might even have blown his chances for any inheritance in his future.

Cheers!

This is the weirdest disease.

My sister who lives in a county south of me with her two kids and retired husband, all vaccinated and boosted. The youngest kid just graduated from high school, wears a mask continuously, in doors and out. He was the first family member to get Covid as well as his father and sister. They live in the country, 5 minutes from a road. My sister, who is a nurse, works from home, never got it.

In mid June, 2 friends came over and we pressed some Chilean grapes outside in the driveway, about 90 minutes. We went inside, had lunch and one left after 20 minutes to relieve grandma, who was watching her kid. my other friend and I sat around for 3 more hours and tried a few of my bottles, then left. Later that evening I had a severe sore throat after dinner and was fearing the worse. My wife and I are both unvaccinated, and the only social gathering we do for the most part, is go to church, or a wine club function. The next morning, our lady friend texted me that she had felt horrible all night and just came from doctors, she tested positive, she and her husband and infant son are vaxxed. I called the other friend up to let him know, he and his wife are vaxxed, and had no symptoms although they had their grandkids for the weekend and they were sick with sore throats, and grandma(his wife) was sick after the left, and he had just started to get a sore throat. He and his wife, and my wife and I, all tested negative. I had a sore throat on and off for about 10 days, but I had some nasal/sinus issues on one side only, and still tested negative. Our lady friend informed us that her husband and infant son were all positive. Her husband works at home and only grandma, the sitter, is a visitor to the house. And she tested negative.

Strange disease.

It seems nearly impossible to predict this. DW had Covid in April, with a very strong positive test and a couple of days of misery (like a bad case of flu). Despite living literally alongside her, I never got it (repeated negative tests).
A couple of our neighbors had similar experiences.

I think this is correct. DH and DS had Covid about a month ago but I never got it. A good friend had it a couple of weeks ago and her husband and mother (who lives with them) never got it. Everyone is vaccinated and boosted and all had mild cases. DH and my friend both took Paxlovid.

The OP indicated that, like his son, he would not stay in one room either. So, we have to assume this is acceptable in their family. Just because something works for me and mine, doesn't mean it can work for others. And visa-versa. I think the lad is being judged rather harshly.

I hope they all recover quickly and with no long term effects.

Last edited:
I talked to a nurse about testing positive after I felt like I recovered. She said positive tests are likely to continue for weeks, even if you're no longer contagious.

If you test positive on a home test (rapid antigen test) you are still infectious even if you no longer feel symptoms.

It’s the PCR test that can remain positive for weeks well after someone is no longer being contagious. Unfortunately in this case I think your nurse was referring to PCR tests, because home RATs do not generally show someone being positive for weeks.

The OP indicated that, like his son, he would not stay in one room either. So, we have to assume this is acceptable in their family. Just because something works for me and mine, doesn't mean it can work for others. And visa-versa. I think the lad is being judged rather harshly.

I hope they all recover quickly and with no long term effects.

In the first post the OP said my son "won't " stay in his room so I had a different impression..hope things go well for both of them

Agree, he won't stay in his room to protect his parents? I'll just quit there

A 28 yr old adult that gets Covid and won't stay isolated to try and reduce the chances of infecting his 67 yr old parents with Covid. OK, I get the picture.
How concerned are you about the effects of contracting the virus? Since you asked then here is my suggestion. In my house he would be on the street looking for another place to live and might even have blown his chances for any inheritance in his future.

Cheers!

Can't disagree

I had it in the early stages of covid, 2020. My wife never got it. My wife had it this year, I never got it. We took absolutely no precautions either time. Covid is crazy

Living in such close quarters if you were going to get it, you would have gotten it by now.

Mike

He only came home sick on Wednesday, probably had virus sooner, so, maybe I'm going to scrape through. Called my doc even though I tested negative. because it's Friday, they said call anytime over the weekend if I get symptoms or have a positive test.

The odds of you catching it from him, if not already, are super high. Given you plan to spend any time in the same room together, it's more of a question of how badly you get it, not if.

Personally I would not let square footage limit me, and we'd be in separate rooms or a hotel. However, at this point you are most likely to already have caught it, and your symptoms will start in a few days.

Have you tested yourself yet? I'd be doing so every day for the next week.

Tested a couple hours ago, it was negative.

I was told I was exposed to it, but I was 3X vaxxed so I thought I dodged a bullet. Nope, about 7 days later I had all the symptoms, then my wife got it, 4-5 days later.
My brother, who is vaxxed and constantly masked, got it too. The latest strain is mild, but super contagious.

He only came home sick on Wednesday, probably had virus sooner, so, maybe I'm going to scrape through. Called my doc even though I tested negative. because it's Friday, they said call anytime over the weekend if I get symptoms or have a positive test.

The average time between exposure and symptom onset is about five days, but may be as short as two days or as long as two weeks. Keep testing and wear a mask.

My 28 yr old son that lives with us, got home after work yesterday, and said he had a sore throat. He took his temp and it was slightly elevated, I had an expired test on hand and it showed a very weak but positive test result. I picked up a new fresh test and it now is a definite positive. Gave him Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin C. Now just hoping I don't get it at 67 yrs old.
He said he feels better today, but he wasn't all that sick yesterday, I hope that continues. Any suggestions other than stay away, We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there. I'm hoping my immune system just keeps it at bay, any other suggestions?

He should either stay in his room or get a morel rroom for a week. If he stays you all need to wear a k95 until he no longer tests positive. The new variant is highly contagious. You probably caught it already.

Anyone positive staying in your house is going to dpread the virtroom to room just by your home ductwork and common HVAC system.

Anyone positive staying in your house is going to dpread the virtroom to room just by your home ductwork and common HVAC system.
Is there some science to confirm that? If true that suggests households would commonly all get covid from anyone they live with. My knowledge on this is that many people avoid it if they isolate.

My AC has a UV light to kill stuff when it passes thru the air handler, and the filters on the returns claim to kill lots of stuff Whether that's everything - and Covid - I don't know, but I'm gonna have to think the primary risk is the immediate exposure from the person sitting next to me, not the air they breathed out in the other room now re-circulated into my room, with the virus still living and ready to get me!

Back
Top Bottom