how to carry cell phone

gattara

Recycles dryer sheets
My husband is seriously thinking about getting a smartphone. Somehow we've been getting by with a flip phone from 2007, no data. It's time for us to cave. His concern relates to how to carry it - many of his pant pockets are shallow, and he certainly doesn't want to have to worry about the 5"- 6" phone falling out. What do men do in this case? Thanks.

Virtually all my trousers and shorts have 1 or 2 extra pockets that have a zip or other fastener such as velcro.

I'm about to buy a belt smartphone holder. Within the last month I have accidentally dialed 911 when carrying in my shorts. Ha.

Don’t get one of the big smartphones. I have an iPhone 6s and it fits in my pants pockets. According to the specs it’s 5-1/2 inches by a little over 2-1/2 inches. I think most brands have a similar size option.

I've been without a cellphone for quite sometime. My daughter gave me a Tracphone recently.

I still forget to pick it up as I go out the door. While working, I was on the phone 9 hrs. a day. Since retiring, voice communications is unimportant. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'd certainly hate to think I had to keep up with a $600-$1000 cellphone.

My Iphone 5S fits well in my front pocket - not as well as my longtime favorite workhorse Nokia 3310 but it hasn't broken in half like I expected. Now leaning toward grudgingly stepping up to an Iphone 6S, which is larger yet. I have pants with pockets that lose contents like car key or penknife, but the phone seems to stay put. BIL has a phone holster he wears at the small of his back - that level of conspicuous phone connection just doesn't appeal. My best solution involves having the gal nearby so her phone's utility is available while I can leave my phone in the car and enjoy not having that loud little societal tether clinging to me.

I've tried belt mounted "holsters", but they have all broken due to getting caught on something. Maybe if I didn't wear my phone while working in the yard, but I use it for pictures, calculations and the occasional SMS, so I like to have it one me. My previous phone was always in my front right pants pocket, screen in. This phone has a fingerprint sensor which is triggered if the screen is in, so I carry it screen out in that pocket trouser pocket.

I have an iPhone 8 and it fits in all my pants/shorts. I never had it fall out.

My phone is pretty big (Pixel XL0 and it fits in either a front pocket or a back pocket (subject to pulling it out when I sit down - sometimes I forget and sit on it - never did any damage but thinking that the stress of sitting on it might break something).

I noticed many of the young-uns carrying them in their back pockets so I followed suit. Works for me and my iPhone 6+. Never had a problem with it bending if I sat on it, despite the fact the internet went bonkers over “bendgate” several years ago.

Sorry but can't go with the belt clip idea. However if you have a degree in engineering, computer science or math you can have a waiver.

Otherwise I agree that an IPhone SE that's at least an IPhone 6 would be easy to carry.

When I am wearing gym shorts out and about I have an athletic backpack with rope shoulder straps. That could be construed as a "murse" so that can be discussed in a later thread.

When the larger phones were first introduced, the universal comment from males was "But it won't fit in my pocket." The obvious, useful answer is a crossbody vertically-oriented bag, where you can also put your glasses, keys, wallet, and a water bottle. Disregard all the shrieks of horror at "man-purse" and go with the practical and efficient. Restricting yourself to a mini-phone because it must go into a pocket only means you need a second, larger phone or tablet. :)

I tried the belt clip "holster" for a few years, but my experience was like sengsational's--they eventually get snagged on something and break.

Now I keep it in a front pocket, it has a very thin rubberized case and a screen protector. It never falls out and I've never broken it. The downside--I keep nothing else in that pocket, so now my keys, wallet, coins, pens, etc are in the other front pocket. It's crowded in there. I don't like keeping much in the back pockets--a comb, some notes, etc.

When the larger phones were first introduced, the universal comment from males was "But it won't fit in my pocket." The obvious, useful answer is a crossbody vertically-oriented bag, where you can also put your glasses, keys, wallet, and a water bottle. Disregard all the shrieks of horror at "man-purse" and go with the practical and efficient. Restricting yourself to a mini-phone because it must go into a pocket only means you need a second, larger phone or tablet. :)
Yeah. Umm.

I always carry my iPhone in my front pocket. I also carry my wallet there because I don;t want to lose it or get it picked. Those shallow front pockets OP's husband has are my pet peeve, There are lots of pants I like at REI but almost all of them have shallow front pockets. What a stupid design! The are guaranteed to loose keys, phones, wallets, whatever you want to carry there. What are they for?

My husband is seriously thinking about getting a smartphone. Somehow we've been getting by with a flip phone from 2007, no data. It's time for us to cave. His concern relates to how to carry it - many of his pant pockets are shallow, and he certainly doesn't want to have to worry about the 5"- 6" phone falling out. What do men do in this case? Thanks.
Mine is in my purse, but yeah, most guys don't want to carry a man-bag for some reason. I think they should! Purses are so convenient and a manly guy can pull it off with no questions about his masculinity. But anyway, back to the topic at hand...

F has a generic carrying case/pouch for his that clips to his belt. When your DH buys a smartphone, there will probably be ample opportunity to buy accessories for it including this sort of case/pouch that clips to one's belt or waistband.

I had no idea that this was a thing. All my pants/shorts have sufficiently deep front pockets for my Galaxy S7 Edge. My work pants are Dockers/khakis/suit pants, and my casual bottoms are either jeans or shorts, which are either cargo shorts or the ones that are basically short khakis.

Back
Top Bottom