how to carry cell phone

+1

Even though I have a Garmin gps with lifetime maps, I don't use the Garmin anymore. Waze just works better than the Garmin. It was a game changer for me, motivating me to switch from a prepaid basic phone plan to a smartphone plan with unlimited data (after watching my wife use hers).

I lost my mind the other day and navigated over 300 miles, Interstate, on an unfamiliar route, with no GPS, no cell phone, not even a dang Map.

Apparently, someone has constructed large pieces of metal with words painted on them that tell you how to get to where you are going.

Who knew?

Some of these "signs" were even illuminated and had flashing electronic letters telling me about construction and accidents up ahead, so I made turns off of that particular piece of pavement and continued in the same direction for a bit until rejoining said numbered piece of pavement.

On one such excursion I stopped at a fruit stand in the middle of Nowhere and, while selecting just the right piece to snack on, I queried the girl at the counter as to " how far is Hwy 61 from here? " I immediately read her mind - " Is this guy challenged or what? Why doesn't he just look at his phone !? " The same look was on the other two customers faces who had snapped to attention when they heard my question. Lively conversation ensued among us, and I then exited the store quietly chuckling to myself after receiving the answer I had sought. Had I used my phone to answer that question...I would have missed out on that delicious piece of fruit and the nice experience of chatting with those folks for a few minutes.

It was quite exhilarating running free and wild like that. I highly recommend it.

Even had the sunroof open, with the A/C on, like a true Renegade...

Last edited:
I lost my mind the other day and navigated over 300 miles, Interstate, on an unfamiliar route, with no GPS, no cell phone, not even a dang Map.

Apparently, someone has constructed large pieces of metal with words painted on them that tell you how to get to where you are going.

Who knew?

Try using that method to find a single street in an unfamiliar city. :LOL:

Had I used my phone to answer that question...I would have missed out on that delicious piece of fruit and the nice experience of chatting with those folks for a few minutes.

Actually, we love to frustrate our GPS by going off-route. We joke anthropomorphize a lot of passive-aggressive frustration into the "recalculating" announcement, often adding our own commentary afterwards like "I don't know why I even bother..." The nice part is that it will keep recalculating the shortest route to get you to your destination, so we can cruise around and then pick back up after we've made our food/sightseeing/shopping stops. And of course I can and do still ask the locals about local points of interest.

Traveled the World for two weeks of every month for years...No cell phone. Here's the secret: SKYPE.

Works everywhere, totally free if your friends and relatives are using it, about 3 cents a minute if you want to call anyone else without the app/service.

No SIM card changes from country to country, no bills, highly reliable.
:)
;) So true.

The nice part is that it will keep recalculating the shortest route to get you to your destination, so we can cruise around and then pick back up after we've made our food/sightseeing/shopping stops.

We do that to...when close to our destination we may meander around for a while knowing that the navigation will always recalculate the route.

Who knew?

Some of these "signs" were even illuminated and had flashing electronic letters telling me about construction and accidents up ahead, so I made turns off of that particular piece of pavement and continued in the same direction for a bit until rejoining said numbered piece of pavement.

On one such excursion I stopped at a fruit stand in the middle of Nowhere and, while selecting just the right piece to snack on, I queried the girl at the counter as to " how far is Hwy 61 from here? " I immediately read her mind - " Is this guy challenged or what? Why doesn't he just look at his phone !? " The same look was on the other two customers faces who had snapped to attention when they heard my question. Lively conversation ensued among us, and I then exited the store quietly chuckling to myself after receiving the answer I had sought. Had I used my phone to answer that question...I would have missed out on that delicious piece of fruit and the nice experience of chatting with those folks for a few minutes.

It was quite exhilarating running free and wild like that. I highly recommend it.

Even had the sunroof open, with the A/C on, like a true Renegade...

Huh, never heard of these "signs".

It does sound like cool technology. I'll have to ask google about it.

The only part I'm unsure about is stopping and talking to strangers. I thought that was rule #3 in the guy's handbook to never stop and ask for directions. Has that rule been rescinded?

Actually, we love to frustrate our GPS by going off-route. We joke anthropomorphize a lot of passive-aggressive frustration into the "recalculating" announcement, often adding our own commentary afterwards like "I don't know why I even bother..." The nice part is that it will keep recalculating the shortest route to get you to your destination, so we can cruise around and then pick back up after we've made our food/sightseeing/shopping stops. And of course I can and do still ask the locals about local points of interest.

After I retired, I got the smart idea to go back to school...in downtown Atlanta. Thankfully, classes were usually scheduled so I could avoid the worst of the rush hour, but on occasion I would have to deal with the infamous traffic.

Well, I used Waze primarily for traffic situational awareness and to help keep a lookout for five-oh. I noticed that very often it would want to send me one way, and I thought that way wasn't too smart, so I would go my way...and inevitably, once on MY ROUTE for about 30-45 seconds, Waze would proudly announce that IT found a faster route (the one I TOOK, by the way) and IT saved me XX number of minutes. Oh no, Mr. Waze...you aren't getting credit for trying to stick me in bad traffic. :cool:

The only part I'm unsure about is stopping and talking to strangers. I thought that was rule #3 in the guy's handbook to never stop and ask for directions. Has that rule been rescinded?

No, this is acceptable under Corollary B to Rule 3: Asking directions is acceptable >if< it is a by-product of a stop made for another reason. If buying a peach or coffee is the primary purpose of the stop, and if the request for directions comes up only as a natural part of other conversations, then it is allowed. Pulling over just to rush in and ask for directions is still verboten.

Huh, never heard of these "signs".

It does sound like cool technology. I'll have to ask google about it.

I am afraid that the Men in the van parked outside may be here to rescind my Man Card.

(!)

No, this is acceptable under Corollary B to Rule 3: Asking directions is acceptable >if< it is a by-product of a stop made for another reason. If buying a peach or coffee is the primary purpose of the stop, and if the request for directions comes up only as a natural part of other conversations, then it is allowed. Pulling over just to rush in and ask for directions is still verboten.

WHEW !

I feel better now...

Try using that method to find a single street in an unfamiliar city. :LOL:

Oh yeah...I HEAR that. Key word : CITY

Hate 'em. I refuse to go into the metropolis I live next to unless absolutely necessary...even when cell phone and/or navigator equipped. Just not worth the effort on too many levels to enumerate here.

I talk to Maisie Waze all the time. "In 800 feet, turn right". "No, Maisie, we are not going that way." "Turn right now." "Didn't we just talk about this?" "In 200 feet, make a U-turn." "No, we're not doing that either."

Last edited:
I noticed that very often it would want to send me one way, and I thought that way wasn't too smart, so I would go my way...

This is one issue I have with many of the gps apps. They don’t know where the bad neighborhoods are. I live near Detroit. Just the other day, it wanted to take me off the expressway into a very rough area of Detroit. I know this route and during business hours, I might not have minded, but late at night? No way. So obviously I stayed on the expressway and Waze recalculated. As helpful as they can be, it is best if you know the area and where you’re heading versus blindly trusting the app, unless you have no other choice.

As for the fruit stand, this works with the apps too. As mentioned above, they will take you places you would not have otherwise have gone. On my way to my dads, I allowed myself to take the gps route. We ended up going through some small towns. Stopped in one town for breakfast and was talking to the owner. He asked how I found his place and I credited the app. I was a good stop.

I talk to Maisie Waze all the time. "In 800 feet, turn right". "No, Maisie, we are not going that way." "Turn right now." "Didn't we just talk about this." "In 200 feet make a U-turn." "No, we're not doing that either."

You can sass Maisie now, but it won't be so funny when she won't open the pod bay doors.

I wear cargo shorts most of the summer, and they have a special pocket just for my cell phone. The rest of the year it goes in my shirt pocket,

As for those who agonize over what kind of case to use to protect their phone, you might consider the method used by famed astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson: he doesn't use one.

Brilliant Reason Why Neil deGrasse Tyson Doesn't Put Cover on His iPhone

....I HATE cell phones and the entirely negative impact (in so many areas) that they have brought upon people and society in general. ...

So let me get this straight.... you haven't ever owned or really used a cellphone other than as an emergency thing but you are sure that you hate them and they are bad, bad, bad!

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

If you owned and used one and hated it then I get it, but to hate it without having ever really owned or used one seems a bit neanderthal to me.

I wear cargo shorts most of the summer, and they have a special pocket just for my cell phone. The rest of the year it goes in my shirt pocket,

As for those who agonize over what kind of case to use to protect their phone, you might consider the method used by famed astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson: he doesn't use one.

Brilliant Reason Why Neil deGrasse Tyson Doesn't Put Cover on His iPhone

I don't have issue with profanity, but why do some hosts feel the need to be SO PROFANE? It really doesn't impress most folks and detracts from your message.

And "twirling" you guns as a military cadet? Yeah, not familiar with this, either...unless you were in the color guard.

Left front pocket screen in, shared with comb and pen. No protector. Had since 2012 (4S). Vibrate and sense it on my leg.

My preferred case is made by CLC (Model 5127) and I found it at probably the last place you'd think to look: Northern Tool - either your local store or northerntool.com. It's a cloth case with both a spring clip (belt, waistband, pocket) and a belt loop. I frequently wear suspenders and the belt loop works well on a suspender strap. It holds my phone with a 5" screen with no problem.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200493558_200493558
Other buyers have also left good reviews. $15 or $11 during the current sale.

There's a lot of ways to carry a cellphone, I use a belt clip on my left side near the front pocket. Been doing that since smartphones became available, I've had it get pushed out a couple of times but never lost it.

The most important thing is to actually carry it, all the time. If I've got clothes on, I've got the phone. A neighbor nearly died when she fell in her garage one night and couldn't get help. My wife has had a couple of could-have-been serious incidents which her phone would have solved quickly, but she didn't have it with her.

Nothing is 100%, but I consider a cellphone to be the most important single piece of equipment available for most people. It's not just a toy.

Back
Top Bottom