A relationship question from a friend

I don't know much about overseas construction, but both of my parents were in real estate here in the US in all phases of the industry including residential and commercial construction. I can't say that I believe a condo would take that long to get ready for move-in. That smells of total scam to me.

Not a scam with condo development in Singapore. Condos are 30+ stories and up. Typically, 5 to 15 buildings, with full resort style amenities, several pools, tennis courts, full gym, small park and common area bbqs. I bought my first condo under development in Singapore, in May 1992. TOP Temporary Occupancy Permit), was issued in June 1997. It took 5 years.

Condos with no amenities are called apartments in Singapore.

No wood is incorporated into any constructions, whether it is "landed" ( Bungalows-Single Family homes, Semi-Detached-Duplex and Terraces), apartments or condos. The cheapest landed property starts from $4m.

If this girl is really from Singapore, she is real. Singapore has one of the highest per capita GDP in the world, higher than the US. Singapore at #4 and US at at #8. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Singapore passports are also more "powerful" than USA's.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/19/mos...ional Air,the world's most powerful passports.

But I don't see anyway to bridge the gap in geography.

Last edited:
If this girl is really from Singapore, she is real. Singapore has one of the highest per capita GDP in the world, higher than the US. Singapore at #4 and US at at #8.

Anyone on the internet can say they're from Singapore.

I was from Singapore, but now I'm from the prairies.

Anyone on the internet can say they're from Singapore.

I am from Singapore. I was in senior management in a multi-national high tech company, and they had relocated me to China first and then to the US, on a L1 visa. Subsequently, I got my green card and then citizenship. Why did I accept the move to the US? I was dating a fellow colleague for 4 years by then. We first met when he was in Hong Kong and then he moved back to the US. I spent at least $2K a month on long distance calls and we both spent alot more to see each other frequently.

At the Long Bar in the Raffles Hotel? That's where it was invented.

DW and I had two there. Afterwards, DD led us back to our room.

Me too! Circa 1972 with a few other sonarmen as we cruised the southern seas on a boat called Mansfield courtesy of a rich uncle.

I am from Singapore. I was in senior management in a multi-national high tech company, and they had relocated me to China first and then to the US, on a L1 visa. Subsequently, I got my green card and then citizenship. Why did I accept the move to the US? I was dating a fellow colleague for 4 years by then. We first met when he was in Hong Kong and then he moved back to the US. I spent at least $2K a month on long distance calls and we both spent alot more to see each other frequently.

No cell phones back then, I guess. Glad it w*rked out for you.

Pick another from the dating ap .... life is short

No cell phones back then, I guess. Glad it w*rked out for you.

In reality, I didn't move to US for him. I moved mainly because of my son who is high functioning autistic. US education is easier for him compared to Singapore's. He has 2 Bachelors degrees from State university. If he has stayed in Singapore, he probably would not be able to graduate from Secondary School.

Last edited:
In reality, I didn't move to US for him. I moved mainly because of my son who is high functioning autistic. US education is easier for him compared to Singapore's. He has 2 Bachelors degrees from State university. If he has stayed in Singapore, he probably would not able to graduate from Secondary School.

So glad that your son was able to achieve his potential. May he continue to thrive in a supportive environment. Blessings on both of you.

I did a few overnights in Singapore in the mid 1980's when going back and forth to Indonesia on oil and gas work. Great place (Singapore, not Indonesia)

Father took me there on a vacation in 1987. Good times. Very clean country and almost modern like USA.
I visited Singapore several times in the past and always stayed in the best hotels. (on the companies dime) IMO, their hotels (and general infrastructure) is as good, if not better, than the US. And I agree, probably one of the cleanest countries I've ever visited. Nice place to visit but I would want to live there. Hot and humid all year.

Last edited:
I did a few overnights in Singapore in the mid 1980's when going back and forth to Indonesia on oil and gas work. Great place (Singapore, not Indonesia)

Since we have totally hijacked this thread, let me comment on Singapore.

I travelled there on business late 1990's to early 2000's, probably about 12 times. Unfortunately, at that time we travelled coach. That was a big drag.

Singapore, however is a beautiful city/state. Very modern, well kept, though a bit authoritarian. AND pricey. Back then a pitcher of Tiger beer cost the equivalent of $20 Usd.

Having seen construction there, I can easily believe the OP's comment about a 3 year build time. That actually sounds fast track from what I saw.

As far as the OP's original issue, enough has already been said.

So glad that your son was able to achieve his potential. May he continue to thrive in a supportive environment. Blessings on both of you.

Thank you. I am very proud of him. I still tear up remembering what we both went through to get him to be where he is.

Going back to my reply above, the company which I worked for relocated me (not at my request), hence I suggested to OP that if that relationship develops, she could get a job in a multi-national US headquartered company if it has the potential to relocate her.

Thank you. I am very proud of him. I still tear up remembering what we both went through to get him to be where he is.

Going back to my reply above, the company which I worked for relocated me (not at my request), hence I suggested to OP that if that relationship develops, she could get a job in a multi-national US headquartered company if it has the potential to relocate her.

My nephew was very high IQ but had learning disabilities. My sister had to (almost) go to war with the school system to allow him to w*rk on a computer at school instead of the normal pencil and paper. He thrived when the exception was finally made, but she had to threaten to sue (and bring in a lawyer.) We really have to be advocates for our kids.

My nephew was very high IQ but had learning disabilities. My sister had to (almost) go to war with the school system to allow him to w*rk on a computer at school instead of the normal pencil and paper. He thrived when the exception was finally made, but she had to threaten to sue (and bring in a lawyer.) We really have to be advocates for our kids.

Yeah, in Singapore, the neurologist asked me to put in a special ed school when he was 7, also known as institution for mentally retarded back then. He could not form a sentence until into his mid-teens. I fought tooth and nail to keep him mainstream because he had high IQ. His disability is in language development and communication. When I was in China, the company paid for his schooling in an US-curriculum international school, and he was under less pressure. When the company suggested that I move to US (corporate HQ) after the China stint, I accepted the posting because he could continue his education in the US. I kept him in a private college prep K to 12 school until he went on to university.

Yeah, in Singapore, the neurologist asked me to put in a special ed school when he was 7, also known as institution for mentally retarded back then. He could not form a sentence until into his mid-teens. I fought tooth and nail to keep him mainstream because he had high IQ. His disability is in language development and communication. When I was in China, the company paid for his schooling in an US-curriculum international school, and he was under less pressure. When the company suggested that I move to US (corporate HQ) after the China stint, I accepted the posting because he could continue his education in the US. I kept him in a private college prep K to 12 school until he went on to university.

I'm sure you thank God for him every day and for your ability to finally get the specialized learning environment to let him show his amazing potential. And thank God for moms who fight for their kids!

Back
Top Bottom