Americans Not Eating Enough Fruits and Veggies

ladelfina said:
But we all know that's not really so. I don't really know how they come up with it, but it's kinda screwy. Let's say I open a pack of Ramen noodles for a quick lunch. But, hey! That's TWO "servings"! What a pig I am! I should go on a diet and eat more fruit and veg.. but they say I should eat NINE SERVINGS a day (four of fruit and five of veg.). No way am I going to be able to cram in nine...! ...so I just shrug and enjoy my noodles.

Smoothies are the answer to getting lots of veges and fruits. Believe me when I say that a green smoothie is delicious! Blend an orange, a banana, 1/2 cup of water, three ice cubes and a bunch of spinich and try it. I drink these all the time. It's green but tastes like fruit. There are a million variations. Often I add whey powder for protein and it's a meal.

Eating healthier has been one of my "preparations" for ER. Who wants to retire and be so sick or fat that they can't enjoy life!

I usually have fresh or dried fruit on high fiber cereal in the morning, and a glass of orange juice (2 fruits). Then, some kind of veggie for a morning snack, followed by a salad and more fruit for lunch. Dinner, will include at least one veggie, usually 2. Eating like this, it's not too hard to meet the goals....weekends, however, things tend to break down.

unclemick2 said:
Too late for me - thirty years in New Orleans:

'Ya want that fried shrimp Po-boy dressed Dar -Lin?'

Yeah you rite!

YEAH!!! I just had that for lunch Sunday!!! We have a cajun restaurant about 6 miles west of town, and go there fairly regularly! LOVE IT!!! The owner moved here for Lake Charles to start the restaurant...his family is still there...as is his heart!!! But his cookin' is HERE!!! And it is GREAT!!! He uses his Momma's and Grandmomma's recipes. And everything is fresh...not canned or packaged.

And for them what don't like 'real' food....I think he has "Hamburger" on the menu too, but that's the extent of the yankee food!

http://tinyurl.com/2bghpt

Hell I eat anything long as it is good :D Veggies/meat/tofu/etc. Probably why i hit the treadmill and run a bit more than most :D

I can hardly even name 7 fruits and veggies. If I tried to eat that many each day I'd be eating the same thing every day. Seems like that would get boring quick. Like after the second day.

I prefer to feed the fruits and veggies to a pig and then eat the pig.

Back
Top Bottom