Bed linens and other department store ripoffs

Everyone who sells a product tries to convince you to buy theirs. Is this something you only just became aware of?

No one really 'needs' a high end watch, or designer shoes, or a car that goes 0-60 in a handful of seconds. Some people/companies make their money selling high end goods. Some make their money by trying to give you the best value, or the cheapest (which sometimes is a poor value).

The choice is yours. At any rate, I like choices, I don't buy high end bed sheets, but I'm glad someone does in case some day I want some. Maybe I could tell the difference?

-ERD50

Well said,

You can make the same argument for Louie Vuitton bags. which, yes I love and call them my one vice. No, I don't "need" a $2,900 bag . but I drool over them anyway.

Maybe the $200 sheets are worth it? I did stay in a 4 seasons in Paris and I would have sold one of my son's for the duvet. It was sooo soft and comfortable.

I did purchase a bed in a bag from Bloomingdales, I think it was ~150.00 bucks and included the comforter. I love it because it's a nice cotton blend. since the big "M" started I've been having hot flashes and these sheets keep me cool. I think that's the most I've ever spent

Last edited:
I like cotton sateen, 300 count+

I get sets when needed at Homegoods or Marshalls. $40 or less for a queen set. But yeah I might one day treat myself to whatever they use at Ritz Carltons.

Late wife bought nothing but cotton sheets. There are several sets in the closet.

I hang them on a clothes line to dry, would not think of ironing them.
Slowly getting the hang of all this domestic stuff DW was doing.

I don't like sateen sheets, they seem to slippery for my taste. I think we got our cotton sheets at Macy's.

My mattress is queen size. My issue with sheets is that they are always sold in a set. Queen top sheets are too narrow, move around much and they don't cover the 'subject'. I buy a King top sheet and a queen bottom from L. L. Bean. Those cotton sheets have heft and are soft... likely last my lifetime.

When I was a kid everyone ironed their sheets because they were so wrinkled that they were uncomfortable to sleep on. As soon as the fabrics got better everyone stopped.

I used to buy linens from LL bean. Thanks to this thread, I might look there first.

When I was a kid everyone ironed their sheets because they were so wrinkled that they were uncomfortable to sleep on. As soon as the fabrics got better everyone stopped.

OK thats probably why I didnt have to hold them for her as a teen, I only remember this chore when I was young

We opt for cotton vs polyester, even for the sheets in the camper, and especially for pillow cases.

The cost really isn't relevant. Sheets (at least quality sheets) last for years and you're in contact with them 7 - 8 hours a day, most days. The difference in cost/night's sleep is very small. Saving a little for something I use a lot wouldn't make sense if the quality/utility/enjoyment was diminished, even a bit.

I see a lot of comments associating cotton with higher quality and better enjoyment, but I'm very curious to hear from people who have tried both. Aside from the one comment about them sleeping warmer, I haven't seen anyone mention that they have tried the microfiber and then went back to cotton.

Is it possible that you have been trained to think that cotton is better than microfiber and have just gone along with that assumption for many years without testing the alternatives? I know I did.

I made the comment that microfiber is hotter, but I know sheets are personal. I love crisp percale, dislike slinky sateen. I'm fussy about how my sheets feel.

I wash my sheets alone, carefully dry them for ten minutes, remove then from the dryer, immediately putting the bottom sheet on the bed, smoothing it flat, then iron my pillowcases and sides of my top sheet, then put the top sheet on the bed with no covers to let them completely dry, then put on the coverlet.

Yep, I like my sheets just so.

I've tried both, and by far I like Harmony Linen (microfiber) sheets best. ~$20 on Amazon.

I checked the sheets on Amazon that Ready posted. Those are the ones that we use, too. When we stay in places that tout their cotton thread count sheets, I always love it when we come home to our soft sheets. So soft that DH says he likes them better (and he doesn't notice much). At this price, they don't last 10 years, but I just re-order some more.

One of my childhood jobs was to iron the sheets. Once I got out on my own, I stopped ironing my sheets. Who sees them anyway?

I've tried both, and by far I like Harmony Linen (microfiber) sheets best. ~$20 on Amazon.

I checked the sheets on Amazon that Ready posted. Those are the ones that we use, too. When we stay in places that tout their cotton thread count sheets, I always love it when we come home to our soft sheets. So soft that DH says he likes them better (and he doesn't notice much). At this price, they don't last 10 years, but I just re-order some more.

One of my childhood jobs was to iron the sheets. Once I got out on my own, I stopped ironing my sheets. Who sees them anyway?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. It's funny how you learn a lesson early on in life and you just keep going with it and never stop to reevaluate if it still applies.

I remember the polyester sheets from my youth and they were just awful. So I could see why cotton was the way to go. But I think the new microfibers are so much better than cotton that the only reason cotton keeps selling so well is because most of us never noticed that it just isn't the best material for sheets any more.

I suspect most of the posters on this thread have never evaluated the alternatives. The sheets I bought have a money back guarantee. In fact, the seller is so confident in their sheets that they offer to give you your money back if you are not satisfied and you don't even have to return the product.

When was the last time Target or TJ Maxx offered that to you?

...I'm very curious to hear from people who have tried both. Aside from the one comment about them sleeping warmer, I haven't seen anyone mention that they have tried the microfiber and then went back to cotton.

I've tried cotton, then microfiber, then cotton, then microfiber, then sometimes a mix of cotton and microfiber if I'm too lazy to pair everything back up perfectly after doing the laundry. Cheap, expensive, middle of the road, dyed, un-dyed, "organic", you name it.

I strongly prefer cotton, and the higher the quality the better. I've found it to be cooler (though the bed material itself also contributes to this), softer, just overall much more comfortable.

I have found that the microfiber ones 'pill' sooner than high count cotton ones. I hate the little pills that happen with wear.... I buy my sheets at costco - about every 8-9 years... highest thread count 100% cotton that they have.

What about Egyptian cotton, that's what I used to buy from LL Bean, but it's kind of pricey $245 for king size.

What about Egyptian cotton, that's what I used to buy from LL Bean, but it's kind of pricey $245 for king size.

I don't care if its Egyptian, Pima or Supima.

I also don't care as much about the thread count as I do good cotton and percale. The ones I love now are from Garnet Hill, they are 300 thread count combed long-staple Supima cotton.

I see people getting 8 to 10 years on their sheets. What am I doing wrong that they only last 2 or 3 years?

I see people getting 8 to 10 years on their sheets. What am I doing wrong that they only last 2 or 3 years?

I would ask the bride how long our sheets last, But im scared she might say something like"How did you know? we need some, get on your shoes and we are going shopping!":LOL: More negative cash flow:D

i hate the cotton jersey sheet, and dislike the poly blend sheets, both are just too hot for me. i do like the higher thread count heavy cotton sheets. i find the cheaper ones pill. I like a cool bed when i get in at night.

Mine lasts much longer than that. We still have the Laura Ashley sheets I bought before I got married. Luckily I also bought a king size bed.

Back
Top Bottom