Bed linens and other department store ripoffs

I see people getting 8 to 10 years on their sheets. What am I doing wrong that they only last 2 or 3 years?

Do you have an agitator washer? Those can be rougher on clothes and sheets. Or maybe you just wash them more often?

I do know our bed gets"stripped" every week. I know this, as I am recruited to tuck the corners of the fitted sheet. Turning the mattress is another past time of mine. Its like rotating the tires. The bride tells me how to turn , flip and twist. I just do as instructed.

I'm surprised no one mentioned bamboo sheets. I stayed at a eco friendly hotel a few times and the only thing I didn't like was the water restricted shower but that's another story. Anyway, the sheets were so soft and comfortable, they reminded me of the very old cotton sheets my dad has that are worn so soft they're fabulous. Of course I'm thinking they are high thread count cotton but I looked it up and they were bamboo. Basically, micro fiber can be polyester, however, it can be many other things. In this case, they're microfiber using bamboo cellulose. We haven't bought any sheets since I stayed there, but I will be getting some the next time we by sheets. Doing some research, they're not cheap, but we'll see if I can find a deal when I get serious.

I have one set of bamboo sheets and pillowcases. They are cool to the touch, but there are ridges in the fabric, so they do not feel smooth. The ridges bunch up at the edges in the wash, so for best results they should be ironed. (I don't bother). So my verdict on bamboo is mixed. If I bought them again I would make sure to get ones without ridges.

The last set I bought was microfibre. I got it on sale. Unfortunately the fitted sheet seams are ripping. Perhaps it was sewn a little too snugly. It wasn't a great bargain, in retrospect.

My favourite sheets are a really old cotton pair. I don't know the thread count, but they are so worn that they are smooth and cool. And there is no fitted sheet. That's fine with me, because (a) there are no seams to rip and (b) I have never managed to fold a fitted sheet properly. They stay on the bed just fine.

I see a lot of comments associating cotton with higher quality and better enjoyment, but I'm very curious to hear from people who have tried both. Aside from the one comment about them sleeping warmer, I haven't seen anyone mention that they have tried the microfiber and then went back to cotton.

Is it possible that you have been trained to think that cotton is better than microfiber and have just gone along with that assumption for many years without testing the alternatives? I know I did.

Naw, I definitely sleep cooler on cotton. Now unfortunately I've hit menopause (to much information?) and have godawful night hot flashes. I have both and normally it wouldn't be a big difference but since the big M, I live on cotton sheets

If you buy sheets on Amazon for less than $50 or so read extra careful....they are not cotton even when the name says cotton.
That said, their microfiber sheets aren't bad, but your not going to think you're sleeping on good cotton sheets.

While the point is taken on brick and mortar stores prices, as far as sheets go, there's the tread count that matters.

You can't compare simply by price but the thread count tells you the VALUE of what you're paying for.

If the thread count is the same, well then, for $25 you got a deal!

The cotton jersey sheets last only about 3 years for me. They tear, often because of the cat who sleeps with me, or they get too stretched out. But then I just cut them into squares for rags! They serve that purpose very well. I'm always painting something so I always need rags. The jersey sheets I buy from Walmart are about $17.00 a set on sale. Cheap enough to replace as neeed.

My mattress is queen size. My issue with sheets is that they are always sold in a set. Queen top sheets are too narrow, move around much and they don't cover the 'subject'. I buy a King top sheet and a queen bottom from L. L. Bean. Those cotton sheets have heft and are soft... likely last my lifetime.

We do the opposite. We have a king bed, but the top sheets are queen. It pains me to say this, but DW has a larcenous streak. Given half a chance, she will be in full possession of the covers ere morning. She claims she is only acting defensively and that it is I who purloin the bedclothes, but how can you trust a thing she says when she’s wrapped like cocoon in the cold grey light of dawn? So we each have our own covers to keep each other honest.

I've bought sheets at Costco and Sam's Club (with deep pockets), the same with towels for the bathroom. All are good quality and last forever and the price is great.

I had to go look at what type of sheets we bought from Amazon, and it was indeed the microfiber and they were $18. We have had a set on our bed and the guest bed for about a year and I absolutely love them. I would also note that I HATE being hot when I am in bed (if I am in a hotel, I will set the thermostat to 65 or lower if able!) and the Amazon sheets are comfortable and cool for me. We have also had a few guests ask about the "high quality" sheets and are surprised when we told them that they are $20 Amazon Basic sheets.

Now pillows? Oye. Trying to find a PERFECT one has been an ongoing battle for YEARS.

I should know this stuff since I used to work at Bam's in Livingston, NJ, in the domestics dept, one summer where I had a crush on the cute manager. All I remember is Wamsutta, percale, and $5.95 for flat and fitted. Does Wamsutta brand still exist?

sheets...

JG

I think Wamsutta is still available at BB& Beyond

It might also be at JC Penny-- can't remember if at Macy's

Back
Top Bottom