Behavior Patterns in Panic Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are stocking up for 2 months, not 2 weeks. Think about it; if we are just now getting a few people with the virus, in 2 weeks, that number will grow. You wanna go shopping in two weeks when there are even more sickos out there than there is today? Figuring the virus will run it's course in 2 months or less, it would be smart to shelter in home for that duration and not go out at the height of the epidemic.

I've always stocked a 2 month supply of goods. Not out of any concern for shortages, but to buy bulk when prices are low. I have 3 standing rib roasts, 8 pounds each, in the freezer. Got 'em at Christmas time at $5 a pound. I'll thaw one out, cut into ribeye steaks and enjoy some great BBQ. I may thaw one and age it in the fridge. I have 2 12 pound turkeys. Next week, I'll thaw one, brine it and smoke it in the smoker. There's a Costco 16 pound brisket I'll also smoke, vac seal into meal sized portions. Same with 4 racks of St. Louis ribs.
We are keto diet folks, so we keep a good supply of butter on hand, heavy cream, frozen cauliflower and broccoli, etc. I have a chest freezer and inventory to keep stock rotated.

I think people are stocking up for 2 months, not 2 weeks. Think about it; if we are just now getting a few people with the virus, in 2 weeks, that number will grow. You wanna go shopping in two weeks when there are even more sickos out there than there is today? Figuring the virus will run it's course in 2 months or less, it would be smart to shelter in home for that duration and not go out at the height of the epidemic.

I've always stocked a 2 month supply of goods. Not out of any concern for shortages, but to buy bulk when prices are low. I have 3 standing rib roasts, 8 pounds each, in the freezer. Got 'em at Christmas time at $5 a pound. I'll thaw one out, cut into ribeye steaks and enjoy some great BBQ. I may thaw one and age it in the fridge. I have 2 12 pound turkeys. Next week, I'll thaw one, brine it and smoke it in the smoker. There's a Costco 16 pound brisket I'll also smoke, vac seal into meal sized portions. Same with 4 racks of St. Louis ribs.
We are keto diet folks, so we keep a good supply of butter on hand, heavy cream, frozen cauliflower and broccoli, etc. I have a chest freezer and inventory to keep stock rotated.

I'm in your category also. Although I bought a few things 4-5 days ago (mostly fresh meat, fruits, milk) I had no need to try to panic buy shelf stable items. Why? Because I already had plenty, and had plenty a year ago, two years ago, and so on. Dried beans, rice, sugar, popping corn (can't run out of that!), meat/chicken (both frozen and canned), along with TP, paper towels, cleaning solution and wipes, batteries (in the freezer), and so on. Why? Because some of us are aware just how fragile the transportation and food supply system can be.

Did I expect this to happen? No. In a lot of ways it is similar to why you need to keep 6 months of expenses in cash/cash equivalents, and why you should have a bit in precious metals, or for that matter why when you are young w/a family it might be a good idea to have a term insurance policy. It's simply hedging your bet and being prepared for the unexpected.

My SIL told my wife in a phone call yesterday that her son and DIL in the SF Bay area were in a panic mode because they were running low in TP.

Said they searched all over town, and ended up buying online. I told my wife "What online?" She naively thought one could order TP at regular prices from Walmart or Costco, and not at gouging prices from hoarders.

There's that. Also, it's impossible to tell how many they are shopping for. I'm shopping for a household of 4 adults. I haven't hoarded, but with all that I've done over the last month, no way do I have much more than 3 weeks of food for all of us. If we were put under quarantine and the virus staggered it's way through all of us, it would be more than just 14 days, right? I'm guessing the clock would have to reset with whoever got sick last. With that in mind, I'd like to keep shopping ahead a bit to maintain the supply level I already have and possibly increase it a bit. With the shelves running empty around here, I'm not sure how successful I'll be, but I'll continue to make the effort.

I'm in your category also. Although I bought a few things 4-5 days ago (mostly fresh meat, fruits, milk) I had no need to try to panic buy shelf stable items. Why? Because I already had plenty, and had plenty a year ago, two years ago, and so on. Dried beans, rice, sugar, popping corn (can't run out of that!), meat/chicken (both frozen and canned), along with TP, paper towels, cleaning solution and wipes, batteries (in the freezer), and so on. Why? Because some of us are aware just how fragile the transportation and food supply system can be.

I never worry about supply disruption and calamities like hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, volcanoes where I am. My wife's hoarding tendency guarantees that we always have more food than we can eat.

Yesterday, she dug out a big chunk of beef from the fridge, and I had to point out the freezer burn on it to her.

I welcome the chance to eat some of that frozen food, so that when I opened the freezer door the packages will not come tumbling out.

I've been thinking about when is the proper window of time to go the grocery again for things like milk and eggs. It needs to be after the initial surge of panic buying demand has been sated (around here it started last week) but before people start to run out. Presently my guess is this Thursday or Friday might be a possibility. I will go to the store that let's only 60+ shop for the first hour. Its not absolutely necessary for us, but some fresh dairy, eggs, fruits and vegetables would be appreciated.

Yesterday, she dug out a big chunk of beef from the fridge, and I had to point out the freezer burn on it to her.

There is that issue. I was digging through the bottom my chest freezer (I also have an upright freezer and two refrigerators) and found some tomatoes I had blanched/frozen...they were from 2002! :blush: I decided that even for me they were a bit over their expiration date, so they were tossed.

Before anyone goes too crazy on the freezers, some of that is storage of hops (beer making) and one of the refrigerators holds kegs (but I only have one corny keg in it at the moment - the rest of it has a couple bags of apples, etc.)

I've been thinking about when is the proper window of time to go the grocery again for things like milk and eggs. It needs to be after the initial surge of panic buying demand has been sated (around here it started last week) but before people start to run out. Presently my guess is this Thursday or Friday might be a possibility. I will go to the store that let's only 60+ shop for the first hour. Its not absolutely necessary for us, but some fresh dairy, eggs, fruits and vegetables would be appreciated.

We're holding off until Thursday the 26th. Not because I think that will be the proper timing, because that was the earliest we could get a slot for curb side pick up of the online order we placed yesterday. (Just checked - the earliest slot now available is two weeks from now.)

Last edited:
I did all my coronavirus grocery buying on March 3rd. At that time, I also bought some fresh things to eat in the meanwhile. There was plenty of everything on March 3rd.

But by now, I am out of cheddar cheese. I thought of going again today with F (who is only just now completing his shopping), but from what he says about the stores I decided I'd rather just endure the lack of cheddar cheese than to go to the store with him. So I'm staying home while right now he is off battling the grocery store crowds.

I should have asked him to pick some up, but I forgot.

As for milk and eggs, I have powdered milk and I have a dozen and a half eggs still. Probably in a month I'll "break" and go buy cheese and eggs, and more frozen fruits!

Meanwhile, I may try to buy more canned goods and granola bars from Prime Pantry although I don't know if that is even possible by now.

I did all my coronavirus grocery buying on March 3rd. At that time, I also bought some fresh things to eat in the meanwhile. There was plenty of everything on March 3rd.

But by now, I am out of cheddar cheese. I thought of going again today with F (who is only just now completing his shopping), but from what he says about the stores I decided I'd rather just endure the lack of cheddar cheese than to go to the store with him. So I'm staying home while right now he is off battling the grocery store crowds.

I should have asked him to pick some up, but I forgot.

As for milk and eggs, I have powdered milk and I have a dozen and a half eggs still. Probably in a month I'll "break" and go buy cheese and eggs, and more frozen fruits!

My go to in case things get really rough is a container of Quaker Oats oatmeal.

Wanted to pick up some meats (pork chops, chicken) a few days ago but they were cleared out.

Wanted to pick up some meats (pork chops, chicken) a few days ago but they were cleared out.
When I went on March 3rd, I picked up enough beef, pork, fish, and shrimp to last me for about 3 weeks, plus I have another 3 weeks of Campbell's chunky soups that I bought off of Amazon in mid February along with 10 boxes of low sugar Quaker instant oats individual packages.

I am defrosting a pork chop for dinner and feel bad that you don't have one. And here I am complaining about cheddar cheese! I guess I am a lot more of a spoiled child than I thought. :(

I am pretty serious about staying home and away from other people except Frank. I really, really do not want to get sick with this virus.

My go to in case things get really rough is a container of Quaker Oats oatmeal.

Same here. Stopped in a Walmart in Oklahoma to stock up thinking that they would not be panicking this far out. Wrong.

No oatmeal or meat. Got a lot of canned stuff though.

I still need to find about 10lbs ground beef, 7 chickens and 7 dozen eggs and we’ll be good for 14 days.

Same here. Stopped in a Walmart in Oklahoma to stock up thinking that they would not be panicking this far out. Wrong.

No oatmeal or meat. Got a lot of canned stuff though.

I still need to find about 10lbs ground beef, 7 chickens and 7 dozen eggs and we’ll be good for 14 days.

I don't know if this is true elsewhere, but here in New Orleans, it helps to shop around. People are saying that while one store might be out of something, another store will have it. Or, the first store might have it early on the next morning if they have been restocking overnight. I don't know this personally but this is what people have been saying online around here.

I had pretty good luck on March 3rd at my (average American) grocery store, but then it was March 3rd, not 17th, and it wasn't Costco or Wally World. Haven't been back since.

We are good here for 30 days, thanks to the pantry and the small chest freezer. I expect to go out at the end of next week for milk, fruit, and vegetables, but I have frozen items that will suffice for the duration if that is not feasible.

After 30 days, the pickings are a lot slimmer. I am somewhat concerned about the supply chain breaking down by the 30 day point. We are learning about what happens to the supply chain under stress now, I'm afraid.

I did all my corona virus grocery buying on March 3rd. ........
We did our lock down shopping the last week in January. I think we should have a contest to see who shopped first. :LOL:

Sorry, those of us in earthquake country have you all beat. We are in perpetual stock up mode. And we legitimately buy bottled water!

DD2 lives on the poor side of town. The other day I was telling her my neighbor ran out of TP and none was to be found. The Dollar General and Kinney Drugs in my middle class neighborhood were out of TP, Lysol, and bleach. Her local stores, same chains, same county, had all in stock.
When you're paycheck to paycheck it's hard to hoard.

I just checked out Amazon's Prime Pantry.

Of 119 items that I had previously bought from Prime Pantry, 116 were out of stock. Those in stock were the instant iced tea mix that F likes but I don't drink, my third choice in instant coffees that I don't like either, and plastic cups. :rolleyes:

Sorry, those of us in earthquake country have you all beat. We are in perpetual stock up mode. And we legitimately buy bottled water!

People also cannot stock up enough water for a hurricane.

On the other hand, I just saw a headline that the public has to be reminded that there's no fear of virus in the public water supply, and that tap water is safe to drink. :facepalm:

Last edited:
I had to stock up more than ever. After having watched the news of what was going on in Asia, I knew what was going to happen here. I knew that if I didn't stock up, I would be left with nothing. It's some kind of vicious cycle going.

I didn't think about the eggs though... I had to go to multiple stores on different days to finally find the eggs (Four 12-pack cartons).

I'm on the same wavelength. We're good for 2+ weeks with the exception of produce and dairy which should need replenishing on Monday or Tuesday. I was also thinking later this week. We can always up our intake of produce if I buy too much!

What surprises me, with the threatened national lockdown just over the horizon, is people bypassing most of the fresh produce section for frozen items like pizzas, TV dinners, and hot pockets. You would think at time when trying to be healthy might be a benefit, many are using this as an excuse to eat an unhealthy and snack-based diet. At least make an attempt to eat some healthy food while it's available before embarking on binge-eating mostly junk.

Actually, our produce section was wiped out pretty early on in the panic. Bananas seemed to be first to go (And they don't keep!) followed by the more sensible potatoes and onions. All the bagged oranges and grapefruit, multiple different kinds, went next, although the loose ones sold by the "each" were fully stocked. All the bagged salads were gone, but things to make a salad like lettuce and cucumbers were there. Avocados weren't touched, and the whole Mexican aisle with burritos, tacos, etc. was full.

We also had plenty of frozen dinners and pizzas, along with things like those Hormel microwave bowls that don't need refrigeration. Only yesterday the Chef Boy-ar-dee section started to dwindle.

I'll probably head back there tomorrow morning to see what the night crew was able to restock. This is just too interesting to miss.

I'm happy for the grocery stores. Kroger stock up 8.22%. I don't really understand panic buying behavior. They will eventually stock up if the demand is there. The idea I must have 10,000 of this today, right now. My parents lived through the Great Depression and came out OK. We are a spoiled society, except for the poor.

The issue with this hoarding trend is not that folks think the stores will run out of certain goods and they won't be restocked. Rather, it's because they fear the virus will become so prevalent that it is dangerous to be around other shoppers at a store or perhaps that the gov't quarantines us. So, they think they should have enough of some items that they can stay home and not be in public venues for weeks (months?) if necessary.

Even at our house where DW and I are very much into eating fresh (consume little that comes out of a can, jar or the freezer), I've now stocked up on that sort of stuff and we are good for a few weeks of being home bound if it comes to that. But this isn't because we think that stores will run out of food/household supplies and not restock.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom