buying the wife a rock

My wife and others are concerned about the mining process to the environment as well as the global market that causes conflict diamonds to be mined.

Moissanite is not fake - it’s a different stone that usually is lab grown.

Lab diamonds are not fake - they are the same as earth, natural diamonds. If certain impurities are grown into stone in lab - they are indistinguishable. It is about marketing that forces labs to laser scribe so that “natural” stone market is not upended.

Many of the younger generation are selecting other color gemstones, as the natural diamond marketing does not seem to sway those generations.

Many well informed, very involved jewelry aficionados do not prefer earth diamonds.

My wife and others are concerned about the mining process to the environment as well as the global market that causes conflict diamonds to be mined.

Moissanite is not fake - it’s a different stone that usually is lab grown.

Lab diamonds are not fake - they are the same as earth, natural diamonds. If certain impurities are grown into stone in lab - they are indistinguishable. It is about marketing that forces labs to laser scribe so that “natural” stone market is not upended.

Many of the younger generation are selecting other color gemstones, as the natural diamond marketing does not seem to sway those generations.

Many well informed, very involved jewelry aficionados do not prefer earth diamonds.

The movie makes many of these points. It's very thought provoking.

Lab grown diamond for sure.

Way, way cheaper, literally identical to actual diamonds.

Any jeweler will have them, check out Ritani or Rare Carat for examples of prices.

How well to you know your wife's taste in jewelry - does she have much of one, is she picky? I am.

This is my wife as well. She is very much into jewelry, and I am completely not. Not only is she familiar with stores, but she also goes to pawn shops, she has purchased a lot of jewelry there over the years at deep discounts. She also knows good "fakes" - she will wear these when traveling, instead of the real ones.

I dated her long enough to figure that out. She appreciated my few attempts, but eventually returned the items. It would be like her trying to surprise me with workshop tools or computer parts :), When we got engaged, I told her "I do not have a ring, I would rather you pick out something you like". She was happy with that.

To give her jewelry I "surprise" her in a different way. For example, for our 25th wedding anniversary I gave her a "certificate" for Blue Nile (she considers them reputable) good for up to a certain (large) amount, she was very happy and purchased diamond earrings. For her 50th birthday I surprised her by taking her to a jewelry store that she had shopped in before. She picked out about 5 things and asked me which one did I prefer... I surprised her by buying all 5 of them. First time I ever made both her and the salesperson cry - at least for happiness :).

Pretty much only jewelry I've ever bought for DW on my own (wait for it) she doesn't wear. I learned my lesson after a couple of tries.

After 38 years, you should know your wife, so only you know.

If I got my own wife a CZ or, worse yet something from Costco, she'd thank me and that would be the last time I would ever see the thing.

C'mon, it's one or two carats, about $10k, not the Hope Diamond!

38 years of putting up with you? BTD, go to a reputable jeweler, get a nice stone and do it right. She can always have it reset if she doesn't like the setting.

Imagine her disappointment if you told her that you skimped and it was CZ. Imagine her rage if she only found out later by accident!

IME, it's the thought given behind the gift more than the gift itself.

Last edited:
To each his own..marko your opinion pays the rent at jewelry stores so there is that...the OP has lots of options to pick from unlike the past where the jewelry store was king.

Last edited:
To each his own..marko your opinion pays the rent at jewelry stores so there is that...the OP has lots of options ro pick from unlike the past where the jewelry store was king.

Well, I only know what my wife's reaction would be if I got a diamond ring at Costco. Only OP knows whats best for him.

Again, its often more about the thought behind the gift than the gift itself.

Last edited:
I'm going to purchase a 1 or 2 carrot Dimond ring for my wife of 38 years as of next February.

My only advice would be to make it 1 or 2 carats. Even the most avid of vegetarians wouldn't be too impressed with just 1 or 2 carrots after 38 years of marriage :)

My apologies. I couldn't resist. Congratulations on 38 years. It is quite an achievement, and something to be proud of. I hope you both have a wonderful time on the cruise. It sounds as if you have a good idea of what she will like in a ring. Because you are prepared to have it adjusted or changed if it is not perfect for her, you have the right approach, and a good heart. Enjoy!

Well, I only know what my wife's reaction would be if I got a diamond ring at Costco.

Again, its often more about the thought behind the gift than the gift itself.

Everyone is very different which makes the world so interesting...this thread has gone from jewelry store, to pawn shop, to Costco, to real or fake...it's very nice to have so many choices is my point.

Something for everyone!

For what it's worth, when we were shopping for my engagement ring, we fell in love with some of the designs from Simon G. Their jewelry are available in some of the top local jewelers. We got a spendy ring for me, 5 figures, and I still love it although I don't wear it too often anymore as we got matching diamond rings for our wedding. I wear the engagement ring on my right hand sometimes.

https://simongjewelry.com/

Thanks for all the guidance!

I really don't think she would have a problem with a nice ring from Costco. Btw I looked on their site and they have a 4 carrot ring for the more booshy people for 100k ?

I think I'm leaning towards Costco but I haven't been there to look at rings yet. Does anyone know if they have 1 and 2 carrot rings on display or do I have to order online?

Has anyone ever used with clarity? Looks like it's online only. I'm thinking if I can trust this company I could order online.

Thanks for all the guidance!

I really don't think she would have a problem with a nice ring from Costco. Btw I looked on their site and they have a 4 carrot ring for the more booshy people for 100k ?

I think I'm leaning towards Costco but I haven't been there to look at rings yet. Does anyone know if they have 1 and 2 carrot rings on display or do I have to order online?

They have some rings on display, but the size may depend upon the particular Costco. You could inquire as to whether the ring could be shipped to the store, to allow you to inspect it before you agree to keep it.

Has anyone ever used with clarity? Looks like it's online only. I'm thinking if I can trust this company I could order online.

I Googled them, but had not heard of them before.

I Googled them, but had not heard of them before.

Looks like they are out of New York. They have a 30 day return policy. They have just what she wants in terms of setting and diamond style. She showed me what she wanted (if I were to ever buy her a new ring) on that site some time back.

Looks like they are out of New York. They have a 30 day return policy. They have just what she wants in terms of setting and diamond style. She showed me what she wanted (if I were to ever buy her a new ring) on that site some time back.

Heh, heh, what are you waiting for?:cool:

If you are looking at Costco you may want to look through some of their selections here: https://www.costco.com/rings.html
Diamonds are guaranteed to be at least VS2 Clarity and I Color.
"Diamonds: 1.00ct or larger: Members returning a diamond over 1.00ct must also present all original paperwork (IGI and/or GIA certificates) at which time they will receive a Jewelry Credit Memo. Within 48 hours, our Costco Graduate Gemologist will inspect for authenticity."
I bought 2 diamond rings here for my wife and she is very pleased.

Cheers!

Well we all know the diamond industry is beyond corrupt .... De Beers funnels the world supply to keep prices high. Very few really understand what they are buying ... ripe for picking.

Had a good friend go thru a bitter divorce ... ex-hubby spent 100k on her ring 2 decades ago. She wants the cash ... so she walked the halls of the diamond district in NYC. NOBODY would give her 40k for the thing. All we can assume is ex-hubby got screwed. Or is she getting screwed .... or does it really matter??

Then you get exactly that. I don't know any woman who would show her partner a specific ring if she wasn't 100% hoping for that specific ring. Unless she showed you other stores as well, that's exactly what she wants. Now it's up to you to pick the stone.

Looks like you are talking about "With Clarity" - they have very good google reviews.

Had a good friend go thru a bitter divorce ... ex-hubby spent 100k on her ring 2 decades ago. She wants the cash ... so she walked the halls of the diamond district in NYC. NOBODY would give her 40k for the thing. All we can assume is ex-hubby got screwed. Or is she getting screwed .... or does it really matter??

Pretty typical for a cash trade-in. One of those "things you should never do". If she had wanted to trade it in for a larger diamond, she'd likely get the $100k or thereabouts. As a cash trade, not so much.

Just went through this with my deceased mom's diamonds. DW got mom's original price (actually more) as a trade-in for some really, really nice diamond earrings. In fact, there was money left over which they are holding as credit when we decide to get something else. If we opted for cash instead of credit we'd get about half.

Last edited:
Pretty typical for a cash trade-in. One of those "things you should never do". If she had wanted to trade it in for a larger diamond, she'd likely get the $100k or thereabouts. As a cash trade, not so much.

Jewelry has a huge markup and I have no illusion that my collection is an "investment". The We Buy Gold places usually offer about half the meltdown value of the gold in the item. On diamonds I might expect 50% of retail but 40% isn't surprising.

...... She couldn't get 40k the offers were in the 30k range ... comical really. She kept the ring.

Before Covid I was in NYC a few times a week for work - and would have stopped in - for purely research motives of course.

Check out the price (and the 4 Cs) that they will give you on the stone - and compare it to Blue Nile. You may decide to pick up the setting there - and the stone elsewhere. Also, print out the picture and description of the ring your wife liked!

Back
Top Bottom