buying the wife a rock

I asked for advice here about buying an engagement ring for my sweetie about a year ago and got excellent advice, mostly from the ladies, that I should let her pick out the ring, setting, etc. I'm looking in the same price/carat range as you but thinking of some very personal factors. My girl likes shiny stuff and isn't impressed by cost...although I was pretty shocked at how much she dropped on herself for Tahitian pearls last year...but her like of shiny makes me want a setting with a smaller stone with maybe some side stones and diamond dust around the sides. But I think I will let her do the design.

I've pretty much convinced myself to stick with Tiffany. I may pay a premium but I like their ethics and conflict-free guarantees and I think they are trustworthy on quality and grading.

My research also suggests that a good quality (color and clarity) diamond is far better to pay a premium for than size (carat). You can get a huge diamond that looks impressive but is total crap.

Finally, a 2 carat diamond might be a security risk if she wears it out much. Thieves have cut off fingers to quickly steal a large diamond. I hate to be so graphic but it's the world we live in. I might not be super worried about that in the small town in Hawaii we live in but it might be enough for her not to wear it when we travel which defeats the purpose.

Just my thoughts. I'm not an expert, on diamonds or women.

Yeah, unfortunately, it's come down to people NOT wearing their nice jewelry (or even nice clothes) or taking their nice car out. Alternately we can demand that criminals that prey on us face swift and draconian justice.

Based on current practice and lack of outrage: Leave your rock and your nice car at home. Dress in torn sweat shirt and faded jeans. When we're all fed up - things will change, but not until then.

Yeah, unfortunately, it's come down to people NOT wearing their nice jewelry (or even nice clothes) or taking their nice car out. Alternately we can demand that criminals that prey on us face swift and draconian justice.

Based on current practice and lack of outrage: Leave your rock and your nice car at home. Dress in torn sweat shirt and faded jeans. When we're all fed up - things will change, but not until then.
Or just pack. Lest you think you knew my politics...

can we maybe not turn another thread political? I

Yes she has shown me the setting that she likes but it's on the site with clarity and the best Dimond deals are on rare carat. I could purchase them separately but I don't have a relationship with a local jeweler who could pair the two. If I trust any local jeweler they could switch Dimonds and I wouldn't know so I'm trying to find a setting at rare carat that is as close as possible to the exact one at with clarity and purchase as one piece.

A little late to this thread. Not sure what design you are looking for but if by chance it ends up being a 3 stone ring, make sure the "color" of the side stones match the color of the center stone. If the color is off, it is very noticeable. This happens a lot when a center stone is purchased and a setting with sides already mounted is selected. That is, if the ring is all diamonds and side stones are not a different color, like sapphires.
If purchased all together, or setting is jeweler made with those instructions, they will more likely match or at least not detract.

My two cents having recently gone thru this. Check out James Allen or With Clarity on-line. Both have great websites where you can pick stones and settings etc. Go with a lab grown stone. Will save big $$. Make sure it is certified. You don't need the perfect stone. Trade off cut clarity color etc. I got a 2.80 Carat round stone engagement ring with I color, VS1 clarity, Ideal cut lab grown, ,14kt yellow gold. for $8600 (from With Clarity). Be sure to insure it so she can wear it without worry. Ring looks perfect and wife was ecstatic. Good luck.

My two cents having recently gone thru this. Check out James Allen or With Clarity on-line. Both have great websites where you can pick stones and settings etc. Go with a lab grown stone. Will save big $$. Make sure it is certified. You don't need the perfect stone. Trade off cut clarity color etc. I got a 2.80 Carat round stone engagement ring with I color, VS1 clarity, Ideal cut lab grown, ,14kt yellow gold. for $8600 (from With Clarity). Be sure to insure it so she can wear it without worry. Ring looks perfect and wife was ecstatic. Good luck.

That's a nice size :D

I asked for advice here about buying an engagement ring for my sweetie about a year ago and got excellent advice, mostly from the ladies, that I should let her pick out the ring, setting, etc. I'm looking in the same price/carat range as you but thinking of some very personal factors. My girl likes shiny stuff and isn't impressed by cost...although I was pretty shocked at how much she dropped on herself for Tahitian pearls last year...but her like of shiny makes me want a setting with a smaller stone with maybe some side stones and diamond dust around the sides. But I think I will let her do the design.

I've pretty much convinced myself to stick with Tiffany. I may pay a premium but I like their ethics and conflict-free guarantees and I think they are trustworthy on quality and grading.

My research also suggests that a good quality (color and clarity) diamond is far better to pay a premium for than size (carat). You can get a huge diamond that looks impressive but is total crap.

Finally, a 2 carat diamond might be a security risk if she wears it out much. Thieves have cut off fingers to quickly steal a large diamond. I hate to be so graphic but it's the world we live in. I might not be super worried about that in the small town in Hawaii we live in but it might be enough for her not to wear it when we travel which defeats the purpose.

Just my thoughts. I'm not an expert, on diamonds or women.

I've made the decision that I will be purchasing a 2 carrot natural diamond and I am concerned about security. We just can't live our lives in fear though.

I've made the decision that I will be purchasing a 2 carrot natural diamond and I am concerned about security. We just can't live our lives in fear though.

Any woman who has ever lived in a high-traffic area instinctively moves her ring around on her finger so the stone is on the inside of her hand when she feels the need (ie, getting on the subway, moving through city crowds).

Any woman who has ever lived in a high-traffic area instinctively moves her ring around on her finger so the stone is on the inside of her hand when she feels the need (ie, getting on the subway, moving through city crowds).

Awesome point!!

DW has been wearing ~2 carats for a couple decades. At first I was really nervous about her roving around the Metropolis with that rock, but knock on wood, never an issue.

This is exactly what she says she does!

(That, plus no more subways these days)

I was one . . .

I was a NYC commuter / "subway rat" for years.

Back
Top Bottom