California Earthquake

Im in San Diego, lakeside to be exact & felt nothing....
Yes, I was awake at that time, not by choice...:(

Is that TromboneAl territory? Hope he's doing ok. Anyone still in touch?

Im in San Diego, lakeside to be exact & felt nothing....
Yes, I was awake at that time, not by choice...:(

LOL, we are 650 miles from the epicenter. Not going to feel that one, even if it was a mag 6.5.

Is that TromboneAl territory? Hope he's doing ok. Anyone still in touch?

Yes, that's where TAl lives (lived? he was talking about relocating at one point). He hasn't been around here for over 2 years though.

Trombone Al is near Eureka.

His home is quite close to the waterfront, and close enough for them to drag foldable chairs to sit drinking coffee, looking down the cliff, as shown in a photo he posted.

Heh heh heh... What did I tell ya about my amazing memory?

PS. Just read the article. Yes, Eureka/Humboldt County is roughly where T-Al was, the last we know.

Last edited:
That’s right where the (Cape) Mendocino Triple Junction is - three tectonic plates converge, so it’s particularly prone to earthquakes. The California coast switches from sliding against the Pacific plate to subduction of the Juan de Fuca plate and all the active volcanoes begin.

triple-junction-map.png

Last edited:
I have friends in Eureka and Arcata. Three sent a note saying they're fine, two with no electric. All are closer to Ferndale than T-Al, so hope he's ok.
All the time I spent there and I never experienced an earthquake.

My phone woke me up at 2:30 am to let me know about the earthquake. I'm about 150 miles from the epicenter in SW Oregon. Didn't notice any movement at all. Happy to see the notification system works. I didn't even know my phone has that capability. (Cheap Samsung tracfone android)

On 12/20/21, there was a 6.2 earthquake at the same location.

Wow, that's a strange coincidence. I have an app on my phone called MyShake. It alerted me this morning with a spoken announcement saying, "Earthquake! Earthquake! Drop, cover, and hold!" I didn't even know it did that, so it came as a surprise. I'm in the SF East Bay, a little over 200 miles south, and didn't feel a thing, though some neighborhood dogs barked a little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom