Earworms du jour

One more from rock's ultimate frontman.

Edit: Two are not enough!

Last edited:
Given that my personal 'earworms' are always songs/tunes that I like, and that they arrive unannounced and without prompting, and retreat when they've achieved whatever indeterminate objectives they wished to accomplish, here's today's:

You got me thinking of 60s folkies. To me, this adaptation of a poet stands with Pete Seeger's "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Hard to believe that it's been 51 years (1970) since "After The Gold Rush" LP came out. In 1970, were we ever listening to music from 1919? No!

There is a factual story about the album cover pic, but it's more fun to make up your own...

This song is my favorite from the LP:

Woke up to this playing in my head. Love the bass!

Last edited:
I was outside doing a little yard work today, so a work song came to mind.

The uncrowned king of rock 'n' roll did a hotter version. (not sure why the Afro emoji pops up).

Here's an old musical earworm that some today are still tryin' to dig out:

I had to read the Wikipedia entry on this band after listening. The album title also intrigued me, reminding me of an old Mel Brooks movie title.

The band's story is pretty weird. The girls' father was apparently a misguided Murry Wilson type who pulled his girls out of school to form this band because a palm reading predicted they would become stars. It's telling that the girls broke up the band after their father died.

Apparently some unscrupulous record producer cut this album before absconding with the band's money and most of the album copies. Eventually, though, a few found their way into the hands of some established musicians like Kurt Cobain. Since then the album has been reissued in LP and CD form.

I listened to a couple more tracks to see if the musicianship is consistently inept. I can see where it would resonate as naive art, but the message is lost on me. Picasso's cubism is basic, but he could craft a realistic portrait if called upon to do so. As Dave Edmunds and Huey Lewis used to sing, "Sometimes bad is bad."

The naive style reminds me of a musician that has a childlike delivery. I attended one of his shows at a Sheboygan coffeehouse a few years ago.

That video of "The Shaggs" is sort of one extreme of how I think of the "garage band" era. Some were horrible. Some like TJ and Shondells eventually developed into major acts.

IMO the pinnacle of "garage band" performance was Katrina and the Waves. I saw them with IIRC either Bob Seeger or Don Henly ca. 1982. They were the opening act and appeared on a bare stage with drum kit, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and base. No light show. Just accomplished performers - tethered to their amps with actual wires. Yeah, a bit of dancing but the music was the thing.

Couldn't find a fitting video for them, but you've, by now, heard the music in a dozen mainstream movies and heard it in commercials, etc. 10,000 hours, indeed!

Closest I could find to the magic.

I had to read the Wikipedia entry on this band after listening. The album title also intrigued me, reminding me of an old Mel Brooks movie title.

The band's story is pretty weird. The girls' father was apparently a misguided Murry Wilson type who pulled his girls out of school to form this band because a palm reading predicted they would become stars. It's telling that the girls broke up the band after their father died....

And ain't it such a sweet song about a double amputee pet cat that likes to roam the neighborhood?

And ain't it such a sweet song about a double amputee pet cat that likes to roam the neighborhood?

I guess I missed that completely. I thought the singer said, "My pal's name is foot-foot." My hearing isn't what it used to be ...

Edit: I listened one more time and got it. Maybe it's the New England accent that tripped me up.

Last edited:
That video of "The Shaggs" is sort of one extreme of how I think of the "garage band" era. Some were horrible. Some like TJ and Shondells eventually developed into major acts.

IMO the pinnacle of "garage band" performance was Katrina and the Waves. I saw them with IIRC either Bob Seeger or Don Henly ca. 1982. They were the opening act and appeared on a bare stage with drum kit, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and base. No light show. Just accomplished performers - tethered to their amps with actual wires. Yeah, a bit of dancing but the music was the thing.

Couldn't find a fitting video for them, but you've, by now, heard the music in a dozen mainstream movies and heard it in commercials, etc. 10,000 hours, indeed!

Closest I could find to the magic.

The band may have had humble origins but they had a lot of pop polish. And Katrina has that big voice. That tune was in every jukebox in the mid-80s.

I found it interesting that one of the Waves' founders was a member of the Soft Boys because I'm a fan of that band's frontman, Robyn Hitchcock. The Soft Boys had a totally different sound from Katrina and the Waves.

I got an email alert that the monkeypox news had triggered someone's earworm. I don't see that post in the forum, though, so I'll add one that has been in my head lately. I like the part late in the clip where Wyman forgets that he's supposed to be moving his lips.

I got an email alert that the monkeypox news had triggered someone's earworm. I don't see that post in the forum, though, so I'll add one that has been in my head lately. I like the part late in the clip where Wyman forgets that he's supposed to be moving his lips.

I self-deleted it, I thought it might be insensitive. But That stupid song. mods can delete this in necessary

Has no one had an earworm for over a year? Here's mine du jour. Could be worse.

Okay, this is my latest Earworm. I like the video too.

Eventually I discovered the "love letter to Dave Grohl" sent to induce the band to come to a town in Italy for a concert. Stunning!

I think I have posted this one somewhere way back when, hopefully not on this thread. It comes to mind whenever there is a lot of hurricane or flood damage going on somewhere, like Hurricane Ian. Older New Orleanians told us about the catastrophic 1927 flood, with tears in their eyes, many times. TPTB bombed the levees to save New Orleans and flood poor, rural downstream areas instead. Heartbreaking and this song is about that flood. It is nearly an anthem by now and I can't get it out of my head today.

Has no one had an earworm for over a year? Here's mine du jour. Could be worse.

Tom Fogerty doesn't look too happy in that clip, his grin looks pretty forced. That was a big hit the year I graduated from high school.

I've been seriously hung up recently on this singer/songwriter, who I heard for the first time on youtube when Joni Mitchell made her recent appearance at Newport.

I love Creedence! I heard them live at a concert in Oakland, back in 1969.

I still remember the first time I ever heard Credence. I had dropped my GF (now DW) off at her dorm following some event we attended on campus. I was a "townie" and as I pulled up to my place, I heard Credence' cover of Susy Q. It knocked me out. Yet that night I went through my pants pockets and chest of drawers to find enough cash ($3.88 as I recall) to buy Credence' album the next day. Been a fan ever since. So many sad stories around CCR (though, I'm sure most bands could claim similar travail throughout their existence.) I see that John Fogarty is active and rockin'. Still, there was a magic about CCR that has rarely been repeated. Credence for ever!

Reactions: W2R
I love Credence too. I was in love, once, with John Fogarty and his gap tooth smile :)

Oh, and I do remember that all the albums bought in my youth were $3.88.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom