Favorite iPad apps

I actually avoid apps in general. I use the built in ones most of all and otherwise have few. I prefer to use a website through the internet browser Safari then any special app interface to a company's website.
I use a handful of apps, but I do agree "classic" websites are better than tablet versions for many sites. Sorry to say it, but ER.org is a case in point to me. And I also have a lot of Safari bookmarks instead of apps.

If anyone knows how to make Google Classic the default on an iPad vs Google Tablet (yuck), please let me know. I constantly have to change it.

I've gotten some good ideas from all the posts too, thanks! :D

Last edited:
jclarksnakes said:
I do not have an Ipad. Apps I have seen and would want are Star Walk and Zillow and one I have seen that tells about nearby restaurants, not sure what it is called.

Poynt, perhaps? I have it on my BB and it is indispensable when visiting a new city.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I just downloaded a couple of very promising free apps.

Fishdom HD is an aquarium game with nice graphics. I like it! SO relaxing, and nice music, too.

iTunesU is an easy interface to free university courses such as those available from MIT. I downloaded the Introduction to Robotics course from Stanford and will give it a spin.

iTunesU is an easy interface to free university courses such as those available from MIT. I downloaded the Introduction to Robotics course from Stanford and will give it a spin.

I love this too, but it's incorporated in my iTunes.
TED is another good one....

Inspired by this thread, I just downloaded a couple of very promising free apps.

Fishdom HD is an aquarium game with nice graphics. I like it! SO relaxing, and nice music, too.

Good tip. Thanks.

Skype on the iPad2 is nice because we can walk around and get other people involved. Likewise Pandora. So far, in our case the greatest benefit to the iPad has been being untethered to the desktop.

MichaelB said:
Good tip. Thanks.

Skype on the iPad2 is nice because we can walk around and get other people involved. Likewise Pandora. So far, in our case the greatest benefit to the iPad has been being untethered to the desktop.

Ditto. I was planning to upgrade the pitiful old desktop at our house until I got the iPad. Now I use it so seldom that we are hanging on to it.

Here's a great app for all of the geeks and nerds. The Science Friday app will let you play the Talk of the Nation: Science Friday show from NPR. WOW!

Last edited:
Cracked my dang iPad screen last night, going to try to throw myself on the mercy of the genius bar tomorrow morning.

It still works, but the possibility of getting glass shards in my fingers has taken a wee bit o' the shine off using it. And I'm buying an Otterbox for it if they will fix it! No more chances!

Anyone know about replacing the screens, just in case if I am SOL at the store tomorrow?

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry that happened! I don't know anything about replacing iPad screens but just wanted to express my distress/sympathy. Good idea to go to the Apple store. If they won't do anything, then maybe you can replace it with a reconditioned iPad for less $$$ than a new one.

Aren't you going to tell how you broke it? You shouldn't leave this up to our imaginations!

At the bar, where else! But really I am shocked that after having it since May of last year that I just realized how fragile the glass is. It was in my purse, had the cover on, and was in a canvas sleeve I alway keep it in. My bag slid off my shoulder and dropped just a few feet to the floor. I guess it must have hit just right to shatter the screen like that. I've had it fall off a counter a couple of times, darn cats, and never even had a scratch.
I'll let you know how my pity pitch goes in the morning. Otherwise I will probably be using it with the cracks for a while!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom