Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

+1, the obnoxious greed league strikes out…

But Sunday has shaped up for a great shootout, it’ll be fun to watch. I like to see them on tough courses, but some easy ones mixed in is fun too.

Yeah, I think that like many duffers that I relish watching them struggle a bit and having to hit shots out of deep rough... welcome to my world fellas.

I don't remember who it was but in one of the early rounds one of the pros cold topped a fairway bunker shot and it went about 3 feet... welcome to my world.

US Open tv coverage has been awful this year I switched over to watching featured groups for free at the open website. Streaming free coverage without commercials is way better than network IMO LIV shows much more actual golf.

+1, only saving grace is no Joe Buck.

Looks like Koepka just announced joining LIV. Cha ching!

Then I don't get what the LIV has to offer golf fans.

Why would we bother to watch a second rate golf tour of mostly has-beens when we can watch the PGA Tour and watch the best in the world? There is a reason that the Korn Ferry Tour and minor league baseball are not widely televised... viewers don't want to waste their time watching the minor leagues when they can spend their time watching the best players in the world.

I dont think those who are signing up for LIV care if people watch them. They're getting massive payouts up front, whether the league lasts years or not. If LIV vanishes in a year, they will come back to the pga. Its business, and its smart business. Like I said, no one on the pga tour plays for free. They're playing for $$. Even the ultra rich ones.

No one will care if people leave the pga for LIV and come back in a few years. People only care if you win. Tiger is one of the biggest hunks of dookie on tour and people still love him. Amazing golfer, great for golf, absolutely terrible human being off the course. Terrible spouse, terrible role model, cheap with his billion dollars stiffing waitresses, pilled up while driving, getting mad in a parking lot than speeding down road and almost kills himself and could have easily killed others. Yeah, what a peach.

PGA tour better pivot soon. The smear campaign they're attempting makes them look bad and isnt going to work. Remember, pga tour says the plays are independent contractors and then penalizes them for contracting with another tour? Doesnt add up.

Last edited:
I dont think those who are signing up for LIV care if people watch them. They're getting massive payouts up front, whether the league lasts years or not. If LIV vanishes in a year, they will come back to the pga.

I don't see LIV vanishing in a year, they aren't in it to make money and are too well funded. It won't be as easy for LIV golfers to come back to the PGA Tour as just showing up and playing, they would probably have to start all over again like everyone else trying to earn their way on to the tour for the first time. Would have to through qualifying school for the Korn Ferry Tour, then finishing near the top of the Korn Ferry Tour to earn their PGA Tour card.

It won't be as easy for LIV golfers to come back to the PGA Tour as just showing up and playing, they would probably have to start all over again like everyone else trying to earn their way on to the tour for the first time. Would have to through qualifying school for the Korn Ferry Tour, then finishing near the top of the Korn Ferry Tour to earn their PGA Tour card.

It's a small price to pay if you're financially set for life.

I don't see LIV vanishing in a year, they aren't in it to make money and are too well funded. It won't be as easy for LIV golfers to come back to the PGA Tour as just showing up and playing, they would probably have to start all over again like everyone else trying to earn their way on to the tour for the first time. Would have to through qualifying school for the Korn Ferry Tour, then finishing near the top of the Korn Ferry Tour to earn their PGA Tour card.
If the Saudi’s don’t get the desired effect, they’ll pull the plug. The question is how long are they willing to wait - who knows? If somehow it reflects poorly on them, they’ll lose interest sooner rather than later.

But if some real marquee PGA players defect, this could really damage the PGA. Not a fair fight moneywise.

Played golf this morning at 7:30 two hour’s earlier than normal in an attempt to beat the heat. Our group finished at 10:30 but I was still wiped out. Got a little weak on backside. But had a good day recording 5 birdies. One bird is the norm for me. Missed 3 short putts for par. Short putts I yip and long ones I put fine. Oh well ….

Playing Thursday with my group of 75+ year old guys @11:30 AM. It will be HOT for the second nine (probably 100+ F).

Gatorade is our friend and also ice and wet towels.

On the LIV topic, heard rumors Augusta may nix LIV players from competing in future Masters !

On the LIV topic, heard rumors Augusta may nix LIV players from competing in future Masters !
In the last few days I’ve read that the majors want no part of this PGA v LIV fight, the Masters and (British) Open especially. They all have long established exemptions, hard to just override those at least and quite a few LIV players have earned exemptions. Why bring legal battles on yourself (major organizers)? Very sad state of affairs for all concerned. Again morals are passé nowadays…

Last edited:
Y'all out there playing in the crazy heat be careful

In the last few days I’ve read that the majors want no part of this PGA v LIV fight, the Masters and (British) Open especially. They all have long established exemptions, hard to just override those at least and quite a few LIV players have earned exemptions. Why bring legal battles on yourself (major organizers)? Very sad state of affairs for all concerned. Again morals are passé nowadays…

Interesting read on the subject.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/re...9vtwkrX39skTeCsORIpTVJP2FePWyluUU9DjFnlkoSBUw

Oh that's hard for the PGA to realize the world doesn't revolve around their wishes. It's bad look to try and bully players into following your rules.

But the PGA has existing rules that disqualify PGA members from being a member of a competing organization that has tournaments that conflict with those of the PGA. What is wrong with the PGA enforcing its rules? I say good for the PGA. Players will have to make a choice which organization they want to be members of. I know which tournaments I am going to attend and watch on TV and it will not be LIV tournaments for sure. I predict that the LIV will last at most 12 months and then the players will be asking the PGA to let them back in.

The PGA is facing down the Norman/LIV/Saudi mafia that has a reported $3 billion war chest to entice players, desperate times call for desperate measures. The PGA should ban for life anyone going over to the dark side. The LIV tour will ruin competitive golf as we know it.

Last edited:
You misunderstood me I'm talking about PGA trying to get the majors to ban LIV players. That isn't their business.

The PGA is facing down the Norman/LIV/Saudi mafia that has a reported $3 billion war chest to entice players, desperate times call for desperate measures. The PGA should ban for life anyone going over to the dark side. The LIV tour will ruin competitive golf as we know it.

I bet you wouldn't feel that way if you were a world class golfer.

You misunderstood me I'm talking about PGA trying to get the majors to ban LIV players. That isn't their business.

The Masters has their own rules--they will make their own decisions --but they have so many rules I bet the LIV players will not qualify unless they are former winners. The British Open has its own rules too. The US Open let them in last weekend but none of the LIV players played well. The PGA Tournament will go by the PGA rules. For me I am going to be cheering for the PGA players, not the Saudi players.

So right now this LIV exhibition tournament is 12 teams/48players... Will it expand to 13-14-22 teams? With Brooks and Bryson now in for next week will Andy Ogletree ever get drafted again?

I bet you wouldn't feel that way if you were a world class golfer.

Maybe, maybe not. Let the players go with no recourse of coming back to the PGA or playing in the majors and we will see how much LIV is really about growing the game of golf. It's BS sports washing and greed, not about golf.

The Masters has their own rules--they will make their own decisions --but they have so many rules I bet the LIV players will not qualify unless they are former winners. The British Open has its own rules too. The US Open let them in last weekend but none of the LIV players played well. The PGA Tournament will go by the PGA rules. For me I am going to be cheering for the PGA players, not the Saudi players.

Yes every major except the PGA has their own rules and the PGA shouldn't be applying pressure to exclude golfers from the majors. Time will tell..

So right now this LIV exhibition tournament is 12 teams/48players... Will it expand to 13-14-22 teams? With Brooks and Bryson now in for next week will Andy Ogletree ever get drafted again?

They could change the format but it's doubtful, one of the selling points to recruiting golfers was a very limited field with guaranteed money, along with a shotgun start. The no names currently playing LIV with be pushed out, no matter how well they play, as other well knowns join. The best indicator that LIV is just an exhibition tour and not about competition is that there is no way for a player to earn or play their way on to the LIV tour, it's by invitation only, the only worldwide golf tour that works that way as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom