HELP Formatting my Posts Here

Mauser

Dryer sheet wannabe
Trying to post on these forums is driving me absolutely crazy. No matter what I do, the resulting post is either NOT broken into paragraphs (hard to read), or if I try to put a blank line between paragraphs, the resulting post has TWO or THEE blank lines and I need to go back in to edit the post and make it look right.

So what am I doing wrong? How in the heck do I get the first post to show paragraph breaks with only one blank line?

Are you posting from a phone ?
My brother sends me emails from his iPhone & it's all one big glob of words.

I have to copy it, paste it in my word processor, separate & enlarge the text to read it.

From my notes:

FF suppress double line feeds in forum posts: about:config "editor.use_div_for_default_newlines" make it false.

Look in your User Control Panel, under Edit Options.
Down near the bottom, check that you have "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" enabled.

From my notes:

FF suppress double line feeds in forum posts: about:config "editor.use_div_for_default_newlines" make it false.
That sounds like it. I just made the change, and I am testing it with this post.

Strange how I have never run into this before on other forums.

Yup, that fixed it for me - THANX!

That’s why I always like to have two browsers on my computer. Helps to isolate issues that are browser specific. As was also mentioned, good to have a phone or tablet to see if the issue is specific to a particular piece of hardware. On this site there are also differences between the app and the main site reached through a browser.

Glad it worked out.

That sounds like it. I just made the change, and I am testing it with this post.

Strange how I have never run into this before on other forums.

Yup, that fixed it for me - THANX!
There's a good chance that your other forums are using different software. Even when software is the same, default options can be different, too.
?

From my notes:

Thanks, OldShooter, that had been driving me NUTS! I have been quick editing just about every post to fix the spacing, and I'm also using FF.
Has anyone noticed any changes on any other sites when changing this setting? This is the only one I've had this issue on, but I'm wondering if this might "break" other editors for me.

Thanks, OldShooter, that had been driving me NUTS! I have been quick editing just about every post to fix the spacing, and I'm also using FF.
Has anyone noticed any changes on any other sites when changing this setting? This is the only one I've had this issue on, but I'm wondering if this might "break" other editors for me.
I never saw this on other sites. So it is an interaction between the editing modes you can choose in the phbb software and Firefox. What I recall is that Firefox has been messing with the affected setting in their browser software. Something used to be a default, then it wasn't, and so on.

When I found that setting fix I was using Firefox. But I now usually visit e-r.org with Brave browser, a Chrome browser modification.

BTW, the config change "editor.use_div_for_default_newlines" referred to is another way to eliminate the extra line.

I usually have 3-4 browsers open (Firefox, Chrome, Brave, and Opera), and have segmented my internet experience in that way, just because I can. If something seems wrong in the display of a site, I can switch to another browser very quickly and see what's up. Obviously I am an oddball in that regard.
:D

... I usually have 3-4 browsers open (Firefox, Chrome, Brave, and Opera), and have segmented my internet experience in that way, just because I can. If something seems wrong in the display of a site, I can switch to another browser very quickly and see what's up. Obviously I am an oddball in that regard. :D
I use FF exclusively and have it locked down via its security features plus AdblockPlus and Ghostery, so from time to time I will see missing videos, etc. At that point, if I car enough, I will open plain vanilla Edge or Chrome.

FWIW here is my full tweeks list:

FF keep from jumping to the new tab after I click a bookmark about:config "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" to true
-----------------------------
FF keep from jumping to the new tab after I click a link about:config "browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground" to true
FF keep from jumping to the new tab after I click a link on a page about:config "browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground" to true
FF keep from closing when closing last tab: about:config set the browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab to false
FF Open searches in new tab, about:config set browser.search.openintab to true
FF open new tab from address bar: about:config browser.urlbar.openintab to true
These set up FF to my taste. Obviously YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom