I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

The cross country path this took, my son has an online gaming 'friend' in Indiana, they decided to have a weekend in Los Angeles. He flew from Florida to LA to meet her, turns out she had a [-]cold[/-] Covid, she brought from Indiana to LA, he brought it from LA back to Florida and we got it.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Time2.

As to the cross-country path this took...I sure hope no one on any of their flights got sick..as 'they' likely took it home with them, too.

omni

We had to curtail our New Years Eve plans. From our family gathering on Christmas Day, 2 of our nieces contacted us Friday saying they had tested positive for covid. We tested, I was negative, and I have no symptoms. DW however was positive. Her only symptoms are sinus sniffles that she thought were allergies from household cleaners she had been exposed to on Wednesday.

Fortunately our house and property are large enough to easily isolate and not feel cooped up. Tested again today, I am still negative. DW is still positive but she says the line seems fainter.

We will welcome in the New Year on our porch (mild night) socially distanced and watching the ball drop.

A week later, DW is feeling fine with no symptoms but still testing positive. Our home and property isolation from each other has worked, as I still test negative and have zero symptoms. Hopefully by the weekend she can be out and about without scaring people.

My rebound positivity lasted 7 days, though I only had symptoms (mild ones) for the first two days of rebound. I still have a bit of a cough. After I have a cold, it's normal for me to have a cough for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Just tested positive today. First time with covid for either of us. I've had multiple vaccinations, but none recently. DW tested positive a few days ago. She was immunized a month ago, FWIW. Dr prescribed paxlovid for me, so I'll start that now. So far it's been mild cold-like symptoms. I've had worse. https://bityl.co/NMj5

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Time2.

As to the cross-country path this took...I sure hope no one on any of their flights got sick..as 'they' likely took it home with them, too.

omni

Oh ya, I wondered about people on the flight (spreading it to a dozen other cities), and in the restaurants they ate at. They planned the trip over a high end restaurant.

I spent two weeks in Hawaii, 12/24-1/8. Brought Covid home with me. I masked all through the airport and on the planes, demasking briefly for meals. We also had one indoor exposure situation, on 1/3 we took a tour to the top of Mauna Kea. Fourteen people in a large van. DH and I were the only ones who were masked. Everything else we did was basically outside-swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, walking and hiking. We ate once in a restaurant inside, which wasn't crowded, on 12/28 or 12/29. Otherwise everything was outdoors.

During the flight home I felt a scratch throat and tested at the airport (the first of two stops) and tested negative. Tuesday 1/9 I tested twice, both times negative. Wednesday I noticed an itchy rash and tested again-positive. I did not isolate from DH until Wednesday (yesterday). Started Paxlovid immediately. One thing nice about having an active retired medical license is I can prescribe for self and family. We had packed a course of Paxlovid along with Covid tests for the trip.

I felt awful-headache, severe sore throat, coughing, then this itchy viral rash. After two doses of Paxlovid I'm much better. But I'm stuck in isolation and DH who isn't sick is sleeping in the basement media room. I'm practicing my flute and it's warm enough to keep the windows open a bit.

I heard lots of coughing in the airport, especially little kids. If only at least the adults would mask up. Next trip I'm wearing an N95 mask and will minimize eating during the plane ride and airport.

I spent two weeks in Hawaii, 12/24-1/8. Brought Covid home with me. I masked all through the airport and on the planes, demasking briefly for meals. We also had one indoor exposure situation, on 1/3 we took a tour to the top of Mauna Kea. Fourteen people in a large van. DH and I were the only ones who were masked. Everything else we did was basically outside-swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, walking and hiking. We ate once in a restaurant inside, which wasn't crowded, on 12/28 or 12/29. Otherwise everything was outdoors.

During the flight home I felt a scratch throat and tested at the airport (the first of two stops) and tested negative. Tuesday 1/9 I tested twice, both times negative. Wednesday I noticed an itchy rash and tested again-positive. I did not isolate from DH until Wednesday (yesterday). Started Paxlovid immediately. One thing nice about having an active retired medical license is I can prescribe for self and family. We had packed a course of Paxlovid along with Covid tests for the trip.

I felt awful-headache, severe sore throat, coughing, then this itchy viral rash. After two doses of Paxlovid I'm much better. But I'm stuck in isolation and DH who isn't sick is sleeping in the basement media room. I'm practicing my flute and it's warm enough to keep the windows open a bit.

I heard lots of coughing in the airport, especially little kids. If only at least the adults would mask up. Next trip I'm wearing an N95 mask and will minimize eating during the plane ride and airport.

So sorry you had to go through this for so long, EastWestGal! Thank goodness you are doing better after two doses of Paxlovid.

I have not had a second round of Covid after going through severe Covid double pneumonia back in 2021. Since then, I have pretty much been staying home and away from other people except Frank as much as possible, so maybe that has helped (or maybe not, could be just lucky so far). Anyway, I hope you continue to improve and feel better. Nobody deserves to go through this illness more than once, though I gather many do unfortunately.

Tinnitus post covid19 or post Vax

Sorry to hear of so many members and loved ones being impacted by covid.

Curious if anyone has had or is currently experiencing new or worsening tinnitus following covid or the Vax.

I have read a few non scientifically proven articles, including from Healthcare providers and researchers, that there may be linkages between covid and tinnitus.

If you are interested in this topic and have a 1/2 hour, below is an interesting podcast.

https://med.stanford.edu/hearinglosscure/news/higher-incidence-sudden-onnset-tinnitus.html?tab=proxy

My doc didn't think Paxlovid was appropriate, offered me prednisone for muscle aches. I declined, not feeling that bad.

Many studies have shown that steroids should be reserved for people who are hypoxic and in the cytokine storm phase. Early use of steroids is contraindicated and may worsen Covid. I'm glad you did not take the prednisone. I'll be blunt. Your doc, like so many others, have clearly not kept up with the recommendations for Covid. Everyone over age 50 is a candidate for Paxlovid, unless they have a specific contraindication. And the earlier you get it, the better.

https://twiv.s3.amazonaws.com/COVID+treatment+summary+12-21-2023.pdf

Many studies have shown that steroids should be reserved for people who are hypoxic and in the cytokine storm phase. Early use of steroids is contraindicated and may worsen Covid. I'm glad you did not take the prednisone. I'll be blunt. Your doc, like so many others, have clearly not kept up with the recommendations for Covid. Everyone over age 50 is a candidate for Paxlovid, unless they have a specific contraindication. And the earlier you get it, the better.

https://twiv.s3.amazonaws.com/COVID+treatment+summary+12-21-2023.pdf

I will say, my doc is a bit of a minimalist. Anyway I seemed to have did well without it, I knew I was sick for about 4 days, after that I had a somewhat plugged up nose and not really a cough, but a lot of clearing my throat. 10 days out, I'm about done with all that, but not quite zero symptoms.

Last edited:

Hope you avoid Long Covid, which is chronic. A significant percentage of patients do not.

I tested positive 12-23 and DH went down on 12-26 (isolating did not work for us). I took Paxlovid right away and I think it helped me feel better quickly. We are both back to normal as of about a week ago. We had received all of our vaccines, including the latest one.

I had switched to low carb diet and lost 13 pounds. I was 167 before covid. Today 170.5.

I have been eating left over crappy canned food and more carbs and sweets.

Good appetite at least. Got a food drop off today.

No new case of Covid to report for me. But Covid and Flu are supposed to be up in the local area.

I did remember to go online yesterday to order more "Free" covid test kits. I've used up my allotment from a few previous orders, both proving I had Covid (back in June) and not-Covid on a bout of some unidentified illness in Sept. The kits are handy.

I also turned the magic 65, started Medicare and I'm doing a few vaccinations, one at a time. Did Flu last week and it was the oldster version (I forgot to get it at the more appropriate time last fall). Next week getting the Pneumonia jab (PCV20). Then 2 weeks after that I'm scheduling RSV. Reason I mention all this is it seems like every time I get a cough, I suspect Covid now. But Covid is just one of a few diseases to prep for. My previous experience has been that Covid isn't a winter disease for me. I had it in May 2022 and again in June 2023, mild cases both times.

Last edited:
Update DW and I got vaxxed today. The latest wisdom says don't wait long based on having covid.
My cardiologist said no more than a few weeks, I saw him yesterday and we pulled the trigger on that today.

Went in Thursday for my regular checkup at the VA and took advantage of an offer for the Flu and Moderna Covid vaccinations. My last Covid booster was Sep 2022 so thought I should take advantage of both vaxes with another upcoming cruise and our annual 5 week dive vacation. We always seem to bounce into people either with covid or just getting over covid and don't want to ruin our time away. DGF goes in next week for the same vaxes.

We had to curtail our New Years Eve plans. From our family gathering on Christmas Day, 2 of our nieces contacted us Friday saying they had tested positive for covid. We tested, I was negative, and I have no symptoms. DW however was positive. Her only symptoms are sinus sniffles that she thought were allergies from household cleaners she had been exposed to on Wednesday.

Fortunately our house and property are large enough to easily isolate and not feel cooped up. Tested again today, I am still negative. DW is still positive but she says the line seems fainter.

We will welcome in the New Year on our porch (mild night) socially distanced and watching the ball drop.

A week later, DW is feeling fine with no symptoms but still testing positive. Our home and property isolation from each other has worked, as I still test negative and have zero symptoms. Hopefully by the weekend she can be out and about without scaring people.

DW finally tested negative on Sunday 1/7. No lasting issues, fortunately. I never tested positive so I escaped this time.

Everyone in my family except DW got Covid a couple weeks ago at DisneyWorld. It was unavoidable. Kids everywhere were coughing on me. I didn't think it was Covid but my mom tested positive and then my son and then I decided to test and yup, positive.

I had been boosted back in October. This did not feel anything like the first time I had covid, felt just like a regular head cold and I feel nearly 100% normal now, a bit more than a week after first noticing symptoms.

I'm getting really nervous reading all this. I'm heading out on a 4 week vacation this coming week and keep getting notices that people I've recently seen have it or have a spouse with it. Latest was a meeting on Wednesday, found out yesterday her husband just tested positive. They had been on a plane on Monday so that's where they likely got it.

I plan to mask up for the plane to Singapore. Hoping to not contract it before we leave or while we're travelling. I really don't want to deal with Covid on vacation. I was vaxxed with the latest in November.

I jumped the gun with the covid vax. We are feeling pretty lousy today. We had lingering Christmas cold symptoms and the vaccine effects have piled on.

Everyone in my family except DW got Covid a couple weeks ago at DisneyWorld. It was unavoidable. Kids everywhere were coughing on me. I didn't think it was Covid but my mom tested positive and then my son and then I decided to test and yup, positive.

I had been boosted back in October. This did not feel anything like the first time I had covid, felt just like a regular head cold and I feel nearly 100% normal now, a bit more than a week after first noticing symptoms.

I am pretty sure that is where I got it too. At least one of the possibilities. We were there December 14/18 and like you said people were coughing everywhere. I knew there was a risk in going there.

I must say it's now 2-1/2 weeks later, My wife and I feel fine, but we both have had a persistent clearing of our throat and occasional cough with a stuffy nose. The good part is the phlegm is thin so easily cleared. Yesterday my wife said, she has turned the corner and most of that is gone. I got a few days after her, so I hope I can say the same soon.

DH has knee replacement scheduled in 6 weeks so we have decided to go back to wearing masks everywhere and staying away from people where we can (for example in Church this morning we wore our masks and sat in a corner away from everyone.)

I must say it's now 2-1/2 weeks later, My wife and I feel fine, but we both have had a persistent clearing of our throat and occasional cough with a stuffy nose. The good part is the phlegm is thin so easily cleared. Yesterday my wife said, she has turned the corner and most of that is gone. I got a few days after her, so I hope I can say the same soon.

Yep, the clearing of throat lingered a long time for me.

Still alive and kicking.

DD, DSIL and DGS were all over at our house all day on Christmas Eve and called us Christmas morning and told us they all just tested positive for Covid on Christmas morning.

DW and I never got any symptoms in the past weeks beyond minor sniffles like a common cold. I'm fairly certain we've been exposed to Covid numerous times over the past several years and have built up natural immunity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom