My cat has liver disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick update. My dear boy's still hanging in there but has become increasingly frail. He only weighs about 7 pounds now. In his heyday, he was a 12 pounder. It's amazing he's still with us since my trusted vet thought he wouldn't live to see last November.

He's always been a very happy cat and I think he's hanging on because he likes his life. I know the time is drawing near and I'll have to face that awful decision soon. In the meantime, as long as he doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating, and wants to curl up next to DH and I in bed every night, that time isn't here.

We consider him to be in "hospice care" now since he's too frail for invasive treatments or surgery. He's had a very delicate tummy and I've struggled to treat that. I recently put him on Pepcid AC (1/4 tab daily) and it really helped. I've also been mixing a little Slippery Elm herb in his food. Any of you with pets with any kind of GI problems should give Slippery Elm a try. It's very safe and is the kind of thing that will either do nothing or help. I think it's helping him a bit.

Just a quick update. My dear boy's still hanging in there but has become increasingly frail. He only weighs about 7 pounds now. In his heyday, he was a 12 pounder. It's amazing he's still with us since my trusted vet thought he wouldn't live to see last November.

He's always been a very happy cat and I think he's hanging on because he likes his life. I know the time is drawing near and I'll have to face that awful decision soon. In the meantime, as long as he doesn't appear to be in pain, is eating, and wants to curl up next to DH and I in bed every night, that time isn't here.

We consider him to be in "hospice care" now since he too frail for invasive treatments or surgery. He's had a very delicate tummy and I've struggled to treat that. I recently put him on Pepcid AC (1/4 tab daily) and it really helped. I've also been mixing a little Slippery Elm herb in his food. Any of you with pets with any kind of GI problems should give Slippery Elm a try. It's very safe and is the kind of thing that will either do nothing or help. I think it's helping him a bit.

You have been doing everything that can be done for your little boy. While it is a very difficult situation, you clearly have his best interests in your heart.

I know it's hard to see him lose so much weight, but 7 pounds is not a bad weight for a cat who is sick. When my cat Peanut got sick five years ago (and was also on Pepcid AC), he dropped down to 6.5 pounds but still had many more happy months inside of him. My vet would tell me about her cat, Sigmund, who weighed much less but was still comfortable and happy.

I never knew what tomorrow would bring. I was very sad when Peanut finally passed away, but I also took heart knowing that I loved him and that he loved me. I did everything I could. He lived a happy life.

Thanks for the update Purron...I wondered about the little fellow. I appreciate the tips as well since my cats are 14 and 18 years old. I've got to make them as comfortable as possible too. :) They are doing ok, but getting on up there in years.

What a sweetie your cat is, Purron. I'm sorry he's so sick, but of course he's hanging in there, with all that tender loving care.

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best. Your support means so very much to me.

What a beautiful cat. I'm glad you have had all this time with him.

Yeah cats can surprise you how much they can manage when down to 6-7 pounds. We lost one to cancer and despite weighing just under 7 lbs near the end he would still jump up on the kitchen counter if I was peeling shrimp.

That cat is fortunate to have you Purron, and I'm sure you feel lucky to have him. Thanks for the updates.

Hummer's Gone

My husband and I made the very painful decision today to have our much loved Hummer euthanized. It was him time. Our hearts are broken and we miss him so much.

Attachments

• the face.jpg
    the face.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
So sorry for your loss. I've read a lot of your posts and you've been so good to Hummer. I'm sure he knew how lucky he was to spend his life with you. I know it is hard to make that painful decision, but I bet Hummer agreed with you. Hope good memories of Hummer crowd out the pain of losing him.

I'm so sorry for your loss Purron.

Aw, Purron!! I am so sad to hear this. :( It was the right thing to do, but so hard and so heartbreaking.

Hard deal - he stayed a long time, brave of you two to let him go at last. Tough tough thing to do what's best. You are good people.

Sorry. For the same malady we had to make the same choice once. It is tough, but you will get through it.

I am so sorry Purron. What a blessing to have had him in your life for the time that you did.

Purron -- I'm so sorry for your loss. He was lucky to have you for his human.

I just read through this tread again. Can't think of anything but my boy. I appreciate your thoughts and support so much over the past two years. Everywhere DH and I look we see Hummer. His fur on our bed, his favorite toys, his meds. It hurts so much and we can't stop crying.

This morning DH asked if I let my retirement board friends know. He knows what a comfort you have been to me. Thanks again everyone.

{{HUGS}} to both you and your husband. You know I'm going through the same thing. It's been a little over a month for us and our wonderful Max. It still hurts everyday, I miss him so much. So many good memories. The grief has become more manageable and then it comes back in a wave and I'm right there again, but I know I'm making progress in the right direction.

The toys, the fur, his spot now empty. We have another cat, Eleanor, age 15, and I've been designating every week Eleanor Appreciation Week. She's nothing like our dear Max who overshadowed her with his spunk and big personality so we want to appreciate her for who she is without him here.

Every loss of a pet is so hard yet we do it again because they are so wonderful while they are here. You did your best for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom