New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Anyone with Tinnitus get the Shingrix vaccine? Did your Tinnitus get any worse?
The Shingrix vaccine complications include: "may result in sensorineural hearing loss, tinnitus and vestibular symptoms such as vertigo and nystagmus

I already have such issues but did not notice a worsening with either vaccination. Now, a year later, I'm probably due for a hearing test which will most likely confirm DW's concerns that I need hearing aids. Most likely age appropriate, though YMMV.

Anyone with Tinnitus get the Shingrix vaccine? Did your Tinnitus get any worse?
The Shingrix vaccine complications include: "may result in sensorineural hearing loss, tinnitus and vestibular symptoms such as vertigo and nystagmus

I didn't have tinnitus prior to getting my one and only dose of Shingrix, but I have had tinnitus since receiving the vaccine. I described my experience in post #342 in this thread. (BTW, I received pushback from some other posters after I described my own experience with the vaccine.)

Briefly, the morning after I got the 1st dose, I woke up with degraded hearing, which worsened over the next 2 days to complete deafness in one ear and tinnitus. I was fortunate to be seen by an ENT within hours of waking up deaf and the oral steroid he prescribed was likely responsible for restoring my hearing. The tinnitus is permanent, however.

I searched for the words you posted on the GSK (vaccine maker) webpage and didn't find them. Then I googled some of the words and found that exact wording from your post in an FDA document. While the document is about the Shingrix vaccine trials, the wording you posted pertains to possible symptoms from shingles itself, i.e. not as an adverse effect from the Shingrix vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/media/108793/download

(page 14 in the PDF file, however it's numbered page 10 in the FDA document.
Do a search in the document for the word "sensorineural")

From the FDA document:

"Other complications
VZV has been associated with vasculopathies including cerebral vasculopathy associated with TIA, stroke, hemiparesis or altered mental status. Other reported complications include myelitis, encephalitis, peripheral and cranial nerve palsies, and ocular disease such as acute retinal necrosis. Disseminated HZ and visceral HZ, such as pneumonia, hepatitis, and pancreatitis have been reported. Ramsay-Hunt syndrome, or VZV reactivation in the geniculate ganglion of the sensory branch of the facial nerve, may result in sensorineural hearing loss, tinnitus and vestibular symptoms such as vertigo and nystagmus [(Gondivkar, 2010), (Nagel, 2013)]). Other unusual and rare presentations of VZV reactivation have been described, including HZassociated intestinal pseudo-obstruction [(Masood, 2015), (Zhou, 2012)], burning mouth syndrome (Nagel MA, 2016), and dental complications such as osteonecrosis of the maxilla
(Gupta, 2015)."

Having said all of that, the VAERS website has a disproportionate number of deafness cases reported following receipt of the Shingrix vaccine, though overall it's a tiny percentage of vaccine recipients.

Edit: Note that the FDA document does not include the words you bolded in your post "The Shingrix vaccine complications include:". If you're going to quote something, you really should give a link to the source.

Last edited:
I didn't have tinnitus prior to getting my one and only dose of Shingrix, but I have had tinnitus since receiving the vaccine. I described my experience in post #342 in this thread. (BTW, I received pushback from some other posters after I described my own experience with the vaccine.)

Briefly, the morning after I got the 1st dose, I woke up with degraded hearing, which worsened over the next 2 days to complete deafness in one ear and tinnitus. I was fortunate to be seen by an ENT within hours of waking up deaf and the oral steroid he prescribed was likely responsible for restoring my hearing. The tinnitus is permanent, however.

I searched for the words you posted on the GSK (vaccine maker) webpage and didn't find them. Then I googled some of the words and found that exact wording from your post in an FDA document. While the document is about the Shingrix vaccine trials, the wording you posted pertains to possible symptoms from shingles itself, i.e. not as an adverse effect from the Shingrix vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/media/108793/download

(page 14 in the PDF file, however it's numbered page 10 in the FDA document.
Do a search in the document for the word "sensorineural")

From the FDA document:

"Other complications
VZV has been associated with vasculopathies including cerebral vasculopathy associated with TIA, stroke, hemiparesis or altered mental status. Other reported complications include myelitis, encephalitis, peripheral and cranial nerve palsies, and ocular disease such as acute retinal necrosis. Disseminated HZ and visceral HZ, such as pneumonia, hepatitis, and pancreatitis have been reported. Ramsay-Hunt syndrome, or VZV reactivation in the geniculate ganglion of the sensory branch of the facial nerve, may result in sensorineural hearing loss, tinnitus and vestibular symptoms such as vertigo and nystagmus [(Gondivkar, 2010), (Nagel, 2013)]). Other unusual and rare presentations of VZV reactivation have been described, including HZassociated intestinal pseudo-obstruction [(Masood, 2015), (Zhou, 2012)], burning mouth syndrome (Nagel MA, 2016), and dental complications such as osteonecrosis of the maxilla
(Gupta, 2015)."

Having said all of that, the VAERS website has a disproportionate number of deafness cases reported following receipt of the Shingrix vaccine, though overall it's a tiny percentage of vaccine recipients.

Edit: Note that the FDA document does not include the words you bolded in your post "The Shingrix vaccine complications include:". If you're going to quote something, you really should give a link to the source.

Here is where I found it, it also has a link to your story I believe...
This page is from a tinnitus forum.
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-my-noise-induced-tinnitus-hyperacusis.43306/

Here is where I found it, it also has a link to your story I believe...
This page is from a tinnitus forum.
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-my-noise-induced-tinnitus-hyperacusis.43306/
Wow. That's absolutely bizarre. Thank you for replying to my post. The poster on that tinnitus forum (which I had never heard of until now), completely misread and misrepresented the FDA document. He took a line from the FDA document about the Shingrix vaccine trial, and mistakenly (or falsely) wrote that the document said that those symptoms were potential "complications" from the Shingrix vaccine. However, the FDA was merely stating in that section of the document some possible shingles complications, not vaccine complications. In fact, he repeated the same incorrect thing in a later post. But the really bizarre part was that he linked to my very own post in this very discussion from 2 years ago. I feel like I'm in some sort of recursive loop.

He included the incorrect/false phrase in a bullet item in a subsequent post, which made it appear that the bullet item came directly from the FDA document. That makes me believe he knew exactly what he was doing.

I'll just say that I have no idea whether the Shingrix vaccine can make tinnitus worse for patients who already have tinnitus. All I'll say is that I'm absolutely convinced my own sudden hearing loss and tinnitus resulted from the Shingrix vaccine. My primary care doctor also believes that, and was adamant that I not get the 2nd dose.

I thought I was completely out of the woods after I went to bed 8 hours after the 2nd shot, wrong, I started getting flu like symptoms, chills, fatigue, nausea, felt like the flu got me, and I called in suck to work, and by the time I got out bed, I started to feel normal again. The sick feeling passed rather quickly, lasted maybe 8 hours, and back to normal. Well worth it.

I was finally going to schedule my Shingles vaccine but Walgreens' website won't let me! Maybe they're out at the location I chose. I checked pneumonia and typhoid they they're schedulable but not Shingles! Guess I'll try the supermarket pharmacy that I was trying to avoid.

Correction: Typhoid is unavailable in my state but at least selecting it brings me to a scheduling page that says that! Maybe there's a bug that prevents selecting Shingles.

Last edited:
I haven't read all 883 posts, so maybe this has been mentioned.
Get you Shingrix before you go on Medicare. My Part D has it as a Tier 3 and I ended up paying $375 for the 2 shots. Hopefully it is cheaper on the plan you have before you start Medicare.

I was finally going to schedule my Shingles vaccine but Walgreens' website won't let me! Maybe they're out at the location I chose. I checked pneumonia and typhoid they they're schedulable but not Shingles! Guess I'll try the supermarket pharmacy that I was trying to avoid.

Correction: Typhoid is unavailable in my state but at least selecting it brings me to a scheduling page that says that! Maybe there's a bug that prevents selecting Shingles.

Maybe call the pharmacy you want to go to and ask about the Shingles shot?

Maybe call the pharmacy you want to go to and ask about the Shingles shot?

I figured they may not know how to deal with whatever issue there is even if they told me to come in and I decided to try my supermarket. Then I changed my mind and called. They said they have the vaccine but all their time slots are booked up for Covid vaccines and to try calling again in case there's a cancellation. No thanks. I didn't get the Covid vaccine yet and I don't want to wait in that waiting area. I'll check with my supermarket pharmacy.

I haven't read all 883 posts, so maybe this has been mentioned.
Get you Shingrix before you go on Medicare. My Part D has it as a Tier 3 and I ended up paying $375 for the 2 shots. Hopefully it is cheaper on the plan you have before you start Medicare.

Perhaps they changed the tier between my 2 rounds. First shot was less than $50 WITH my supplement on MC. 2nd shot was close to $150 w/supplement - over a year later (long story).

I would have gladly paid more but YMMV

I'm scheduled for tomorrow at CVS. "Drink at least 16 ounces of water 1 hour before your appointment to help prevent side effects." I will and I'll take water with me too. But if I knew about that I might have scheduled at the CVS in Target so I could use their bathroom.

Got my first dose. But they didn't see that I made an appointment online! I wonder if that's because I initiated another appointment because I wanted to switch to the CVS in Target, but no appointments were available. Then they told me they accept GoodRX coupons, but the system said no, so it's costing me $200 for each dose. Then their registers went down, but they accepted my $200 cash (it was actually $199.99 so they shorted me a penny). But the pain wasn't bad at all. It hurt a little and stayed hurting for maybe a minute after the needle, then nothing. I forgot about staying around to wait for side effects and the woman didn't tell me to so I walked about 20 minutes home, exercising my arm a little along the way. I ate a clove of raw garlic an hour before the shot to help with inflammation. And I exercised my arm a little just before the shot. It's been 30 minutes since the shot and I'm waiting to feel something. It doesn't even hurt when I press on the Bandaid she gave me. I mentioned that I feel more in control preventing Covid than Shingles because I could isolate myself and she agreed. She told me she had Shingles and it was really bad.

My first one was absolutely zero pain, I didn't even feel the needle. I complimented the person giving the shot. The second one, the needle hurt, my arm hurt, and I was off a little bit for a day.

Got my first dose. But they didn't see that I made an appointment online! I wonder if that's because I initiated another appointment because I wanted to switch to the CVS in Target, but no appointments were available. Then they told me they accept GoodRX coupons, but the system said no, so it's costing me $200 for each dose. Then their registers went down, but they accepted my $200 cash (it was actually $199.99 so they shorted me a penny). But the pain wasn't bad at all. It hurt a little and stayed hurting for maybe a minute after the needle, then nothing. I forgot about staying around to wait for side effects and the woman didn't tell me to so I walked about 20 minutes home, exercising my arm a little along the way. I ate a clove of raw garlic an hour before the shot to help with inflammation. And I exercised my arm a little just before the shot. It's been 30 minutes since the shot and I'm waiting to feel something. It doesn't even hurt when I press on the Bandaid she gave me. I mentioned that I feel more in control preventing Covid than Shingles because I could isolate myself and she agreed. She told me she had Shingles and it was really bad.

So, Boho, you have not been vaccinated for COVID?

So, Boho, you have not been vaccinated for COVID?

Not yet. I chose Shingles first, but I didn't feel strongly about it. If they didn't have Shingrix available I might have impulsively asked for a Covid vaccine.

But, since COVID can kill you, and cause long term health complications, why would you chose in this manner?

Last edited:
But, since COVID can kill you, and cause long term health complications, why would you chose in thus manner?

My behavior, mask, and the current infection rate is such that my viral load would be low, and I take vitamin C and D. I wish they'd publish stats on people over 50 who didn't get Shingrix coming down with Shingles from a Covid vaccine. I suspect the risk of me getting Shingles would have been highish.

I heard there's a bunch of studies in progress on vitamin D and Covid prevention. I wish someone would leak preliminary data. I read about one or two and it sounds like vitamins C and D have a significant impact. An N-95 mask, vitamin D and Vitamin C seem pretty strong preventive measures to me.

I'm going out now to get some anti-inflammatory tomatoes.

Last edited:
News Flash!

Shingles ain't no picnic either. I would have chosen differently, but that is just me.

My behavior, mask, and the current infection rate is such that my viral load would be low, and I take vitamin C and D. I wish they'd publish stats on people over 50 who didn't get Shingrix coming down with Shingles from a Covid vaccine. I suspect the risk of me getting Shingles would have been highish.

I heard there's a bunch of studies in progress on vitamin D and Covid prevention. I wish someone would leak preliminary data. I read about one or two and it sounds like vitamins C and D have a significant impact. An N-95 mask, vitamin D and Vitamin C seem pretty strong preventive measures to me.

I'm going out now to get some anti-inflammatory tomatoes.

Wow.

Association of Vitamin D Status and Other Clinical Characteristics With COVID-19 Test Results

"Predicted COVID-19 rates in the deficient group were 21.6% (95% CI, 14.0%-29.2%) vs 12.2%(95% CI, 8.9%-15.4%) in the sufficient group."

Sounds like sufficient vitamin D almost halves your chances of getting Covid compared with insufficient vitamin D. Among those with sufficient vitamin D who still get Covid, the viral load would surely be lower than if it was insufficient.

"Vitamin D status before COVID-19 testing was categorized as likely deficient for 124 participants (25%), likely sufficient for 287 (59%), and uncertain for 78 (16%)."

That sounds like the majority of people may be deficient in vitamin D. I feel like I'm significantly ahead of the game with my supplements.

I just ate an anti-inflammatory tomato.

Last edited:
Methinks your read of the data is a bit off.

Not looking for an argument, but do want folks to know there are those in disagreement.

I have less of a life than most people so it's easier to be isolated. I wouldn't suggest anyone do what I'm doing.

Methinks your read of the data is a bit off.

Not looking for an argument, but do want folks to know there are those in disagreement.

Plenty of studies now support that having an adequate blood level of Vitamin D help prevent serious complications from COVID. But even if you don't believe those studies.........Vitamin D is cheap, and there are no known adverse side effects from maintaining a Vit. D blood level of at least 60-70 ng/mL (many people who don't supplement with Vit. D have a level quite a bit lower than that). So it's hard for me to find a reason to not attempt to maintain that level of Vit. D.......either through exposure to sunshine (which is difficult, depending on where you live and your lifestyle), or through supplementation. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom