NFL: 2021 Season

I'm looking to spend another season enjoying the NFL Least Division. Lots of napping between the 1st and 4th quarters of each game.

LOVE pro football.....got my DVR all ready!

Several fun articles as the 2021 season starts:

NFL 2021 predictions: who is capable of stopping Mahomes and the Chiefs this season?
The NFL kicks off on Thursday. Will Kansas City steamroller the league? Which of the rookies will shine? And who will win MVP?
London Guardian U.S. 09Sept2021

Free access article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/09/nfl-2021-predictions-who-is-capable-of-stopping-mahomes-and-the-chiefs-this-season

The NFL Made Some Changes Since the Last Time You Watched
Unfamiliar jersey numbers, penalties for anything that seems like trash-talking, gambling everywhere. These changes will incite double takes this season.
NY Times by Mike Tanier Sept. 8, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/sports/nfl-rule-changes.html

(excerpt) Watching a linebacker in a No. 9 jersey sack a QB is like watching a cat catch a Frisbee. It’s so strange that it’s a little disorienting.

The NFL relaxed its longstanding uniform numbering policies for the 2021 season, making single-digit jerseys available to linebackers, defensive backs, RBs and WRs. The change will take some getting used to. There were so many low-number jerseys running around the field in preseason games that it looked as though the punters and kickers had staged an uprising.

(Note: this one might be subscriber-only access, sorry!)
QB Power Rankings: Mahomes is No. 1, 49ers’ Jimmy G right in the middle
Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes is NFL's best, but where is Bucs' Super Bowl champ Tom Brady in first installment of NFL weekly quarterback ratings?
Bay Area News Group: September 7, 2021
https://www.thereporter.com/2021/09/07/qb-power-rankings-mahomes-is-no-1-49ers-jimmy-g-right-in-the-middle/

(excerpt) The heck with power rankings which assess the strength of each team. The NFL is all about quarterbacks, and coaches and general managers often owe their liveilhood to the ability or inability to pick the right one.

So power rankings this year will be a subjective assessment of the starting quarterbacks in the NFL, Nos. 1 through 32, and it should come as no surprise that the teams with the best quarterbacks will in most cases be near or at the top of their respective divisions. A look at how they stack up going into Week 1, which starts Thursday night in Tampa Bay.

The only two teams I plan on watching this season play tonight.... I want both to win, but I suspect TB will take it easily. But as they say, on any given [-]Sunday[/-] "Thursday", so you never know.

I see Houston is ranked appropriately...
It was an interesting game, and it was a lot closer than I expected... Glad TB won but they have work to do... Too many turnovers.

+1, entertaining game and closer than I expected... Dak played great and it is good to see him come back from injury. One of the four turnovers was on that hail mary at the end of the first half so I don't really count that one.

I absolutely hate those interceptions that go through the receivers hand first... unless my team is on the receiving end of the interception!

I watched the start and the end. Was an entertaining game.

The coach potato second guessing in me is still debating, on the Cowboys drive taking the lead near the end, was it a better choice for TB to take the penalty and give the Cowboys a 3rd and about 15 or decline and have about a 4th and 5.

The fumble by TB at the goal line was funny. About the salt the game away, but oops! :LOL:

Funny that you should mention that penalty, I was thinking the same thing... I think they too the penalty because if they were able to stuff them on that third and 15 that it would have made the field goal harder... but the Cowboys got some decent yardage on the 3rd and 15 and their kicker naiied it so if they had stuffed them another 10 yards probably wouldn't have made a difference if he had replicated that same kick... but he might have tried to kick it harder and missed it.... who knows?

I watched the start and the end. Was an entertaining game.

The coach potato second guessing in me is still debating, on the Cowboys drive taking the lead near the end, was it a better choice for TB to take the penalty and give the Cowboys a 3rd and about 15 or decline and have about a 4th and 5.

The fumble by TB at the goal line was funny. About the salt the game away, but oops! :LOL:

I think if they had declined it, Dallas would still be in field goal range. Taking it meant they had a shot at stopping a field goal attempt. But, you take your chances, nothing is guaranteed.

I hated that fumble from a fantasy standpoint, as Chris Godwin is in my lineup this week. But even with that, we still gained me over 23 fantasy points :dance:.

Overall though, it was an entertaining game. Tampa Bay's offense kept Dallas in the game and kept it close.

Now who would a thought the Texans would show up and win today?:facepalm:

The team has 50 new players and a no name QB.

Now who would a thought the Texans would show up and win today?:facepalm:

The team has 50 new players and a no name QB.

Who would have thought that last years NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers would have a 36.8 quarterback rating and the Packers would score the least points of any team in week 1. It's backwards week I guess.

Who would have thought that last years NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers would have a 36.8 quarterback rating and the Packers would score the least points of any team in week 1. It's backwards week I guess.

I didn't see that game, but I saw Rodgers press interview. He's not a happy person in GB for some reason. Plus, he doesn't look healthy either, unless my TV is going out.

I didn't see that game, but I saw Rodgers press interview. He's not a happy person in GB for some reason. Plus, he doesn't look healthy either, unless my TV is going out.

I would be upset too if I had to be in Green Bay when my 29 year old fiance was in LA.

Took me a while to settle down after the Chiefs game. What a roller coaster ride! The Browns completely owned them during first half but a couple of mental lapses on their part and some Mahomes magic late in the game brought the win home. Fun way to start the season.

He looked like a player who held out training camp and didn't practice and have many reps with the starting team. Ironic that Jordan Love ended up playing in the game anyhow.

Of course, the Packers defense didn't do much to help either.

But still plenty of time to RELAX as all teams in NFC north lost. The Bears have the same old Nagy coaching to lease offensive play calling. Plus their defense didn't do much to help also.

I felt bad for the Atlanta Falcons as they lost to the Iggles 32-6. Near the end an announcer remarked that they just weren't that good.

OTH, Eagles performance on both sides was good, and not as expected, but yeah, the Falcons were not so good.

Only 16 games to go...longer season.

Looking forward to Chiefs/Chargers this weekend. Herbert is another of the young QBs that looks like a franchise maker. Hope the Chiefs defense decides to show up this time.

He looked like a player who held out training camp and didn't practice and have many reps with the starting team. Ironic that Jordan Love ended up playing in the game anyhow.

Of course, the Packers defense didn't do much to help either.

But still plenty of time to RELAX as all teams in NFC north lost. The Bears have the same old Nagy coaching to lease offensive play calling. Plus their defense didn't do much to help also.

After week 3, I rest my case on both the Packers and Bears.

As for the Packers, Rodgers pulled another Houdini snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

As for the Bears, Nagy pretty much sabotaged the debut of the franchise of the future by just horrible play calling, if you could even call it that.

Well it was definitely an exciting (but disappointing) Chiefs/Chargers game. The good news is I just read that Coach Reid was released from the hospital this morning and is feeling fine. Class guy and I hope he gets his 100th win with KC real soon. Maybe in Philly? Wouldn’t that be fitting!!

Last edited:
The way Philly looked against the Cowboys last night, it will be a bad sign for KC if they can't pull off that 100th win for Andy next weekend. As an Eagles fan, after a nice start in Week 1, it's been a pair of rough weeks and it's not looking good for the next few weeks either.

I just can't wait to see the new power rankings after today's Buffalo over the Texans 40 - 0 slaughter.

Good Sunday night game with all the hype of Brady returning to play against the Pats.

I don't understand the rationale for Brady and TB trying to go for a TD at around the 2 min mark instead of trying to pick up 8 yrs for a 1st down, then bleed the clock and go for a winning FG. I guess he was trying to return, winning with a bang. But seems to me like a bleed the clock strategy would've been better.

First year in a long time I am optimistic for Cowboys to have a great season.

Back
Top Bottom