post your favorite oldies

I was over to Huckleberries for lunch and saw the gators on the pickle barrels and started a few bars for my dear bride. She never heard it...

Clapton, Jeff Beck, Page, Wyman, Steve Windwood , Ray Cooper on cymbal, Stone’s drummer

Always a fun one and brings back memories. Written by a very young Cat Stevens.

RIP Bobby Caldwell, who died within the past week. His big hit "What You Won't Do For Love" came out in 1978, when I was in college and a DJ on the college's radio station and at parties. A classic example of "blue eyed soul" - many listeners where surprised to find out he was white. The song was also a huge party "slow jam" hit as well.

RIP Bobby Caldwell, who died within the past week. His big hit "What You Won't Do For Love" came out in 1978, when I was in college and a DJ on the college's radio station and at parties. A classic example of "blue eyed soul" - many listeners where surprised to find out he was white. The song was also a huge party "slow jam" hit as well.

A true classic. It had shades of CHICAGO with extra measures of funk and jazz. Such music is hard to find these days. Guess I'm stuck in the 70s (and, full disclosure, especially the 60s.) Thanks for posting.

Man, I remember that one from college dances. Good times.

A true classic. It had shades of CHICAGO with extra measures of funk and jazz. Such music is hard to find these days. Guess I'm stuck in the 70s (and, full disclosure, especially the 60s.) Thanks for posting.

The 60s and 70s was when all the great rock and roll and pop music was written.

Yes, and you hear a lot of that music, that back then, you would not have thought would ever be heard in a commercial, but it is now in many commercials. Even my kids in there late 20s and early 30s are often streaming late 60s and 70s music.

Make that late 50s to the early 70s and I'm with you. Once disco started up I listened considerably less.

Cheers!

I remember the excitement when this album came out. While it's a great piece of musicianship, I think Cream's Jack Bruce was as masterful a vocalist as Steve Winwood.

Yes, and you hear a lot of that music, that back then, you would not have thought would ever be heard in a commercial, but it is now in many commercials. Even my kids in there late 20s and early 30s are often streaming late 60s and 70s music.

I try not to denigrate any music genre or period, but my gut tells me that honest evaluation of rock music of the 60s and 70s puts it above most music produced today. Only time will tell, I guess. And those of us from that era may not be here when the 60's and 70's era is extolled in the future.

Very much a YMMV opinion.

I hate being so old, but I treasure having lived through that era. I mark most of my important milestones with the music of that era. First date, first dance, first kiss, first (paid) j*b, first car, first day of university, first (and only) marriage, first apartment, first borrowed furniture, first purchased furniture. All to the sound of (arguably) the best RnR music of all time.

What a great time to be alive. There was Top 40 and the then "new" medium of FM radio (with album plays and 20 minute versions of 3 minute releases.) There was the San Francisco sound (like Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead), Swamp Rock (like CCR), Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd and Alman Bros.) Folk Rock (like Bob Dylan and the Byrds), and (Country Rock like Eagles and Flying Burrito Brothers), and on and on. Also, there was the Beatles vs the Stones. We of that era got to watch them grow from competent bar bands to the virtuosos they became. Genres and sub genres that never existed before exploded in the space of 15 years or so.

Again, what a great time to come of age. What a great time to be alive. Almost worth being old though YMMV.

Returning you now...

Last edited:
I try not to denigrate any music genre or period, but my gut tells me that honest evaluation of rock music of the 60s and 70s puts it above most music produced today. Only time will tell, I guess. And those of us from that era may not be here when the 60's and 70's era is extolled in the future.

Very much a YMMV opinion.

I hate being so old, but I treasure having lived through that era. I mark most of my important milestones with the music of that era. First date, first dance, first kiss, first (paid) j*b, first car, first day of university, first (and only) marriage, first apartment, first borrowed furniture, first purchased furniture. All to the sound of (arguably) the best RnR music of all time.

What a great time to be alive. There was Top 40 and the then "new" medium of FM radio (with album plays and 20 minute versions of 3 minute releases.) There was the San Francisco sound (like Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead), Swamp Rock (like CCR), Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd and Alman Bros.) Folk Rock (like Bob Dylan and the Byrds), and (Country Rock like Eagles and Flying Burrito Brothers), and on and on. Also, there was the Beatles vs the Stones. We of that era got to watch them grow from competent bar bands to the virtuosos they became. Genres and sub genres that never existed before exploded in the space of 15 years or so.

Again, what a great time to come of age. What a great time to be alive. Almost worth being old though YMMV.

Returning you now...

I think there may be a form of "survivor bias" at work. There was plenty of bad music in the 60's/70's, but it no longer gets played and wasn't played much beyond the period immediately following its release. I mean, who can forget those all time greats "Billy, Don't be a Hero," "The Night Chicago Died," "Honey," "Patches," and many more. It hurts my head just to dredge up those names.

I think there may be a form of "survivor bias" at work. There was plenty of bad music in the 60's/70's, but it no longer gets played and wasn't played much beyond the period immediately following its release. I mean, who can forget those all time greats "Billy, Don't be a Hero," "The Night Chicago Died," "Honey," "Patches," and many more. It hurts my head just to dredge up those names.

I was just a kid, but I kind of liked the song the night Chicago died!

Back
Top Bottom