post your favorite oldies

I was just a kid, but I kind of liked the song the night Chicago died!

But "Patches"? EWWWWWWWWWWWW I hated that song! Worst song ever! And radio stations seemed to play it over and over and over....

What a great time to be alive. There was Top 40 and the then "new" medium of FM radio (with album plays and 20 minute versions of 3 minute releases.) There was the San Francisco sound (like Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead), Swamp Rock (like CCR), Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd and Alman Bros.) Folk Rock (like Bob Dylan and the Byrds), and (Country Rock like Eagles and Flying Burrito Brothers), and on and on. Also, there was the Beatles vs the Stones. We of that era got to watch them grow from competent bar bands to the virtuosos they became. Genres and sub genres that never existed before exploded in the space of 15 years or so.

2 more genres to add, from my point of view :):

- "Classical" rock - Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc.

- "Funk" - harder edged R&B with the bass "on the one", starting with James Brown & Sly & the Family Stone, then moving into Parliament-Funkadelic (unique as 2 "groups" with the same members playing different styles), Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, Isley Brothers (Jimi Hendrix was part of their backing band), and the many funk groups out of Ohio (an interesting history, much driven by music teachers in the schools who got kids involved in music to keep them our of trouble) and Brooklyn.

I think there may be a form of "survivor bias" at work. There was plenty of bad music in the 60's/70's, but it no longer gets played and wasn't played much beyond the period immediately following its release. I mean, who can forget those all time greats "Billy, Don't be a Hero," "The Night Chicago Died," "Honey," "Patches," and many more. It hurts my head just to dredge up those names.

I don't know. My favorite :)yuk:) "Teenage Tragedy" song "Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson came on the local oldies station recently. So somebody still likes that stuff, I guess. Oh, and who can forget "Tell Laura I Love Her" sung by Ray Peterson or "Teen Angel" sung by Mark Dinning (SP?)? Ah, yes, and "Leader of the Pack" with the Shangri-Las definitely still gets some air play.

I agree there was some real crapolla back in the day. I do note, however, that 30+ years past the advent of Rap and Hip Hop, there's no "oldies" station devoted to that genre.

Oh, and our youngest listens to oldies (and, full disclosure, Country.) Long live the 60's and 70's. YMMV

I don't know. My favorite :)yuk:) "Teenage Tragedy" song "Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson came on the local oldies station recently. So somebody still likes that stuff, I guess. Oh, and who can forget "Tell Laura I Love Her" sung by Ray Peterson or "Teen Angel" sung by Mark Dinning (SP?)? Ah, yes, and "Leader of the Pack" with the Shangri-Las definitely still gets some air play.

How about this?

I've been collecting music to put on my phone for a while now. I've looked at all of the above "Teenage Tragedy" songs above, but the only one that made the cut was Leader of the Pack.

How about this?

Okay, taking this genre to it's logical conclusion: See if anyone can top this "Deathcore":facepalm::LOL: song by by Cat Stevens. IIRC CS was dating a girl named Patty (Patti?) D'Arbanville. I think the relationship was dying or some such. In any case, here is the result.

Returning you now...

I might have posted this before. In any case, I'm glad it's preserved on YouTube. It's Take 6 with a remake of a tune I fondly remember by Ambrosia.

I'd never heard of Take 6 before seeing them one morning on the Today show. I recall hearing this before heading off to work. Definitely put me in a great mood for the day.

I watched Woodstock: The Director’s Cut for the first time. Oh my.

I don’t think I can ever decide on which performance was best, but I clearly remember Santana’s “Soul Sacrifice” knocked me out when I heard it. Here’s a different performance from 1970.

https://youtu.be/TBJa6rKgy3g

I don’t think I can ever decide on which performance was best, but I clearly remember Santana’s “Soul Sacrifice” knocked me out when I heard it. Here’s a different performance from 1970.

I was happy they included the Airplane.

At Marshall U. in 1971 I was blown away by a 5 piece steel drum band playing "Soul Sacrifice" and other Santana songs. It was a big surprise hearing their interpretation and had a great following that afternoon.

Cheers!

Me too. Hard to take your eyes off Grace Slick (or your ears off her voice). And was to become (or already was, I don’t know) Hot Tuna.

Yeah, I still recall my 20-year-old self having a major crush on Gracie the Groove when Surrealistic Pillow came out in '67. It bothered me not at all to know she was 8 years older than I.

I might have posted this at some time in the past but it’s worth a rerun I think.

It’s a performance by Rufus of the Stevie Wonder song “Tell Me Something Good” which is sooo 70s funky, clavinet and all.

I believe this was filmed in Chicago’s Grant Park (maybe). I was lucky enough to attend a Stevie show around then at the Chicago Stadium with Rufus as the opening act. Sadly, their sound guys messed it up and it was so loud one side of your face could go numb! But it all got straightened out when Stevie appeared and opened with his tune “Bird Of Beauty”. It felt like you floated to heaven.

https://youtu.be/pR--nDR88b0

I love it!

Also excellent, but less familiar. I was mostly underwater and out of contact with the world in 1984, when this came out.

I was driving back home from an appointment today and the following tune popped up on Shuffle. It’s by James Taylor and is called “My Traveling Star”. Released on October Road. 2002, so not that old, but age is just a number as the saying goes. On the release, Taylor does all the background vocals but this is also good.

https://youtu.be/-ML546QQG28

Has it really been 50 years? I remember most of these albums like it was yesterday. I can see the album cover artwork in my mind.

albums turning 50.jpg

Has it really been 50 years? I remember most of these albums like it was yesterday. I can see the album cover artwork in my mind.

View attachment 46230

Yeah, I remember when I got my first real j*b at Megacorp. I thought I was rich! I dumped my "record player" and got a "stereo system." I think I spent a month's pay. Then I started buying albums. THESE albums in fact. A lot of them anyway. I too remember these albums. When I hear a song, I actually can often think back to the things I was doing at the time. It's magical.

From Jackson Browne's FOR EVERYMAN here is his version of TAKE IT EASY. I love the Eagles, but this is also a great version. I love the story how JB started writing the song but couldn't finish it until Glenn Frey who lived upstairs helped out. The song is a true classic and SO early 70's and, yes 50 years old. And YES, how can that be??

When I hear a song, I actually can often think back to the things I was doing at the time. It's magical.

Agreed. That is a wonderful sensation.

Another closely related feeling is remembering the first time you heard a particular song.

Agreed. That is a wonderful sensation.

Another closely related feeling is remembering the first time you heard a particular song.

Ah, yes. I still recall sitting at my desk and the guys in the lab had cranked the radio (verboten, but I never said a word. Heh, heh, as long as the Lab supervisor was out, the radio was usually cranked.) I remember hearing someone singing "I want my MTV" and realizing it was sting, then the opening guitar lick of "Money for Nothing" exploded. I ran into the lab to listen. I knew from that first lick this was gonna be a huge hit - and it was. SO, even though maybe it's been posted, here's the song.

Back
Top Bottom