Rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms...

I have a number of pajama bottoms my DW bought me from Old Navy a number of years ago. Although I don't wear them to bed, if it's cool out then I do wear them around the house...as a matter of fact, they are my "life of leisure" uniform (with a t-shirt...I don't want to bother the neighbors THAT much when checking the mail!). I have had them more than 5 years and besides a little fraying at the bottom of the leg cuffs, they are good as new and since they came from Old Navy, I assume they cost no more than about $10 each.

On the subject of FIRE, or ER, or FILL IN THE BLANK WITH A CATCHY RETIREMENT TERM blogs...yes, there are way, WAY too many of them.

Old Navy has really great soft tank tops too. They are my usual lounging outfit.

JD's blog was one of the first personal finance blogs on the Internet and he had a good writer's voice which attracted a pretty big following. He acknowledges that he grew up without a saver's mentality and got religion while chronicling his ascent out of debt in an entertaining manner. It was as if his enlightenment and realization about LBYM principles was being recorded in real time. His following attracted the attention of some investors and he sold his blog for an undisclosed amount. I get the Impression he netted 1.5 to 2 million. He continued to write for the blog for a few years but he left the arena once his (three year?) commitment to the investor expired. I think the readership dropped off dramatically once he left and he had an opportunity to buy it back last year, at I presume a fraction of the cost. Since his return, I've noticed a marked difference in his posts. It seems like he has a difficult time coming up with new topics, perhaps because he has exhausted the topic. He's admitted to having ADHD, and he has acknowledged periods of depression. He announced last week that not only is the blog not making money, it is in the red. I'm not sure if the market for financial blogs is now too crowded, or his voice no longer attracts followers. I feel kind of sorry for the guy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

He dropped me an email thanking me for giving some ‘food for thought’. I told him his blog needed a more focused Mission Statement.. he said he was struggling with that. I suggested he may be burn out.. he said he wasnt and felt ‘energized’ I dont buy it. I believe, as a millionaire, he has lost both interest and the capacity to focus on frugality.

His POV has likely changed by having "more than enough" now.

I have one or two PJ-like bottoms. Also use sweat pants, which are double-duty, since I may wear them during the day.

$1.5 million is approximately all the money I ever earned until retirement. I refuse to feel sorry for him!

His following attracted the attention of some investors and he sold his blog for an undisclosed amount. I get the Impression he netted 1.5 to 2 million.

He dropped me an email thanking me for giving some ‘food for thought’. I told him his blog needed a more focused Mission Statement.. he said he was struggling with that. I suggested he may be burn out.. he said he wasnt and felt ‘energized’ I dont buy it. I believe, as a millionaire, he has lost both interest and the capacity to focus on frugality.

I agree. I think he's a bit lost. He seems to spend an incredible amount of time in his hot tub. That would get old really quick for me.

I agree. I think he's a bit lost. He seems to spend an incredible amount of time in his hot tub. That would get old really quick for me.

Plus, aren't you cooked like a frog if you spends hours in a hot tub?

Never learned about this man and his blog until this thread. It shows that I do not "get out" much.

Several posters mentioned that the blogger appeared to be lost. Well, that's a lesson for early retirees. Some run out of things to do, and even maintaining a blog is not enough to keep life interesting.

Yep. Gotta keep some interests, several of them, to keep life from getting dull.

Fade to Grey

"Feel the rain, like an English summer
Hear the notes from a distant song

Stepping out from a back shop poster
Wishing life wouldn't be so dull"

Last edited:
Plus, aren't you cooked like a frog if you spends hours in a hot tub?

Depends on the temp. And I assume any hot hub that's expensive will have some form of temperature setting or thermostat.

On our last cruise I realized through trial and error that I could enjoy over an hour in a very warm hot tub. But only about 15 minutes in a hot hot tub (then jump into the adjacent cold pool for a few minutes to chill). If it were me I'd set the hot tub to very warm and lounge for an hour or two.

I like flannel long sleeve tops in the winter, a t shirt in the fall / spring and zero in the summer.

Naked from the waist down at all times. That part is under the covers - :)

Back
Top Bottom