sick friend

spark0506

Dryer sheet aficionado
A very dear friend of mine is fighting a battle with prostrate cancer. He retired early at age 54 and he had been having the time of his life until a couple of years back when all this cancer stuff came to light. This has really knocked him on his rear and he's got a real battle on his hands. This cancer thing has also affected me a lot and I find myself thinking about how really precious life is and that there is a lot more to life then working 60-70 hours a week. As I read a lot of these topics and comments I get the sense that the "health" issue is the one biggie that can change everything. I don't want to over react and do things that don't make sense but I'm thinking more and more that I need to enjoy life while my health is excellent and there is still a spring in my step. I'm comming up on 50 and if I get my finances in order I think I can make it work money wise. If I work till I'm sick or dead what the heck was it all for? I would love to read any comments from folks who have been down this same path.

Hi Spark0506.....

Your question is pretty much what this board is all about......accumulating and managing financial resources so you may spend your time as your time.  For most of us, this means spending time outside of the traditional workplace, but there are a million variations.

Search the site, read and enjoy.  It's great! 

Very sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like he did the right thing in retiring early, only to get screwed out of his just reward.

spark0506 said:
... I don't want to over react and do things that don't make sense but I'm thinking more and more that I need to enjoy life while my health is excellent and there is still a spring in my step. I'm comming up on 50 and if I get my finances in order I think I can make it work money wise. If I work till I'm sick or dead what the heck was it all for? I would love to read any comments from folks who have been down this same path.

Spark, I think you are right. We're generally pretty conservative, trying to plan for a retirement that will last into our 80's or even longer. But many of us won't last that long, and it's important to me to include that possibiliity in my own planning. I think I can make it work now, in about a year I'll finish up a project at work, and then I'm retiring. I'll be less "safe" than many others -- but we each have to move to the beat of our own drummer.

Best wishes for your friend -- it sounds like he has a tough row to hoe. Friends like you are of great value at times like this.

Coach

Have your friend look into peppers.   UCLA reported last month that "Capsaicin had a profound anti-proliferative effect on human prostate cancer cells in culture."

Abstract

Popular press account

Hi Spark:

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend!  This stinks!  I DO know several people who have faced this particular cancer and beaten it, so I hope he'll pull through.

I understand how you feel about your own future -- I'm "pushing 50" myself, and these types of stories get more common every day, it seems.  I recently heard about a friend-of-a-friend who got a staff infection in a hair follicle in the back of his neck, which went to his spine.  He became a quadriplegic!  We run through life thinking the next hour, day, year is guaranteed.  Not so.

I've been thinking lately about an old story:

A guy's town floods and he's left stranded on his roof.  A helicopter comes along to rescue him. 
     "That's ok," he says.  "I trust in God to save me."

A rowboat comes along a little later and tries to rescue him.

Later still, a big log washes by with several people clinging to it.  They call to him to climb on board.

Finally, the water rises over his head, and he's washed away and drowned.  He arrives in heaven, meets God, and asks him:
     "I trusted in you to save me, Master.  How could you let me down?"

God replies:
     "I sent you a helicopter, a rowboat, and a log, guy.  What more did you WANT?"

I think about this story when I hear about people getting sick / dying before their time. Are we getting messages, here, and how many will we ignore before it's too late?

fwiw,
Caroline

Spark,

Having been a cancer survivor at age 36 I determined to retire at the earliest time I possibly could. I have had some other moderately serious health issues as well, so I certainly agree with the point of view that says "do it now, you may not be around tomorrow". Facing your own mortality does cause you to focus on what you really want out of life. I chose to accept a less affluent lifestyle in exchange for more time and leisure to do the things I like to do. Your thinking is on the right track.

Grumpy

watching alzheimer's rob my mom of her last 20 years put me to retire at 48. i'll wind up having less but i'll wind up having had more.

I am also a 10+ year cancer survivor.  Got it at age 39: major surgery, chemo, the whole works.  And yes, it does make you totally change your priorities.  You start to realize that life is short and there are no guarantees.  You learn that the big house and fancy car and accumulating "stuff" - none of it is important.  Some of us learn our life lessons the hard way, but now we get it.

I wish the best for your friend.

CJ

I hope you and your friend are doing well. I know it can be a difficult time for him and you.
Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She went through surgery and then chemo and is ok now but it did change her outlook on life and in turn mine. We’re both in our mid 50’s and were ER, my wife almost demanded it! We’re living on our boat, getting our house ready to sell and living the dream. No time to waste, you never know what life may bring.

I make my living as a doctor in a major tertiary referral cancer hospital, usually seeing patients when they are at their lowest points. I think it's fair to say that I have seen alot.

The one thing I can tell you is that in cancer, in death, and in life nothing is more important than your attitude and your outlook. I do not, of course, mean being unreasonably optimistic or pessimistic. Rather, it is about accepting the situation with grace and dignity, appreciating the "now," making good decisions, and focusing on life, love and faith. I have been repeatedly inspired by dying patients; it can be amazing.

It may sound funny when used outside my profession but generally speaking when there is enough time people die as they live. That is, if they approach life "well" they will approach death well. I hope that will apply to me when the time comes.

Anyhow, it's good to take stock once in a while (no pun intended). I sincerely wish your friend and you all the best in this difficult time.

All the best to your friend and you, Spark. As a cancer survivor of just 4 months now, I'm not sure it's impacted my life just yet but my outlook is hard to judge.

But Rich, I agree 100%, attitude is so important. I know from experience that being positive is difficult at times. I felt pretty low a few times while walking the halls carrying a bag full of my own urine and a bladder full of rubber catheter tubing. But hey, here I sit today eating a Chicago style dog and sippin a brew.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm new to using a forum like this to openly discuss life's issues but I have to say I'm very impressed. You all are a great bunch of folks and I'm looking forward to a lot more conversations.

Back
Top Bottom