What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using up since cherries and apples to make a pie. Needed lemon juice for the filling. Went to pick a lemon from our tree and found this. It's bigger than the cantelope I cut up this morning. IMG_20190723_142909_438.jpeg

That's about the biggest lemon I've ever seen! I'm sure somewhere, someone had/has a bigger one, but not around here.

Played Grandma today

Held the newest grandbaby (0 years old according to the 4 year old) in the am and palled around with the 4 year old in the afternoon. A good day all round.

No bet. I may not have dropped the groundhog far enough away. There's a new dig hole under my deck in the exact same spot as that left by the groundhog that I thought would never return.
:LOL: It probably beat you home. They do have thumbs and have been known to hitch hike.

Last edited:
The only way to be sure

^ True. Seeing that I’ve trapped several from the same spot (or the same one several times), nukes may be the only solution.

Dropped off our trapped groundhog 15 miles west of our house. Should be far enough so that he never returns...

:LOL: Wanna bet?

You will never know if it is the same groundhog or one of his 15 siblings.

Gotta notch its ear for a marking to be sure.

Are they smart enough to avoid being caught multiple times in the same trap? I will tell you that roof rats are a lot smarter than that.

Last edited:
You will never know if it is the same groundhog or one of his 15 siblings. .........
I think this is probably true. My brother, who lived on a farm, used to shoot many before he made a dent in the crop damage.

Well, he just has to add groundhog to his harvest to make up for the loss of the crop.

I just searched Youtube for groundhog and woodchuck cuisine videos, and there's a lot of them. Groundhogs can get to more than 8 lbs, and that's worthwhile to clean and cook up. :)

No bet. I may not have dropped the groundhog far enough away. There's a new dig hole under my deck in the exact same spot as that left by the groundhog that I thought would never return.
I had a ground hog behind our woodshed and put two bags of used cat night soil in there and 10 gallons of water. He left there and found a new home behind the lumber pile, I repeated the cat litter trick, he then went to the neighbors who trapped and shot it. I shot three here, but new neighbors across the road are always home, so I don't want to freak them out with shooting a critter.

I may be able to tell if its the same one. The last one skinned up his nose pretty bad trying to get out of the trap. A bloody nose may indicate that its the same one. But its probably a different one - one of 15 siblings. I'll do one more trapping and release. Then I'll resort to the .22.

I don't think I'll clean and cook them though. DW would leave.

... I don't think I'll clean and cook them though. DW would leave.

Just kidding. The Youtube videos show it is a messy job. I'll just stick with what I get from the butcher.

.......... Groundhogs can get to more than 8 lbs, and that's worthwhile to clean and cook up. :)
In my brother's case, he used a power post hole digger on his tractor to make a row of holes. He'd plop dead 'hogs into a hole until it was almost full, kick dirt in, then move on to the next hole. Rinse and repeat. They are apparently an infinity renewable resource. :D

Had the grandkids for a sleepover and took them to a magic show. "Billy Blegg Magic in Motion". It was fine, for a children's show, and the kids enjoyed it.

Took the training and was sworn in as a deputy voter registrar. Texas does not offer online voter registration so having lots of deputies out and about is critical to getting people registered.

Also took a young woman I've mentored in her nonprofit job out to lunch and met with the prayer shawl group at church. Heading out for monthly bunco night shortly. Busy day!

Took the training and was sworn in as a deputy voter registrar. Texas does not offer online voter registration so having lots of deputies out and about is critical to getting people registered...........
Voted today. In Washington the ballot comes in the mail and I was registered automatically when I got my driver's license. Ballots are returned postage free.

The young wife and I rode the train into NYC today, so that we could have our Global Entry interview down at the old Customs House in Battery Park. It was a remarkably quick process.

After that, we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where we saw a special exhibition of historic rock and roll instruments. Apparently, a number of the guitars are there on temporary loan and are retrieved by the musicians when they need them. For example, Keith Richard's guitar display case was empty, because the Rolling Stones are currently on tour and he needs the guitar. My personal favorite was Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar, which he cobbled together out of spare parts. They showed a short clip of his virtuoso performance of "Eruption" at the New Haven Colloseum in 1986. Full thing here:

On the guitar, you can see where the cigarettes he stuck behind the strings on the headstock had burned down to the wood.

We also saw a exhibition called "Camp", which was quite fun. As a former fashion designer, the young wife was particularly interested. https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2019/camp-notes-on-fashion

We had an exquisite lunch at the 4th Floor Dining Room in the Museum. (And I learned that if you make reservations at the Dining Room, you get free admission to the museum.)

Last edited:
After dumping more phosphate remover into the pool, I am waiting to see if algae will return. Also pumped out about 1/5 of the pool to refill it with fresh water to dilute out all that hardness in the water...

Not sure if you are familiar with the folks at Trouble Free Pool, but they are pretty awesome. It has made my adventure of pool ownership quite refreshing.

Thanks for the link. I will check to see if they have useful tips to me.

I have spent close to $100 in phosphate remover in the last month. That seems to slow the algae growth, but not stop it. Never had this problem before.

Then, I recall reading in the neighborhood flyer the story told by a local pool service contractor. He said so many pools he served got algae problem, something he never saw. Said phosphate level was high on all of them, and could not tell where it came from. Suspected that it came from dust stirred up by a large highway construction project nearby.

I am a few miles from there, and do not see unusual amount of dust in the pool. Where does my pool phosphate come from?

This morning, while brushing the pool, it occurred to me that perhaps the phosphate came from the tap water. Yes, could it be?

Surfing the Web tells me that phosphate level allowed in tap water can be as high as 0.03 mg/liter, because phosphate is not a hazardous substance. But, but, but that's 30,000 ppb. OMG! Even 1000 ppb of phosphate will turn a pool into an algae pond.

I have ordered a $30 phosphate test kit (local pool supply store charges $1 per test). I will get to the root of this. Maybe the city changed its water source, and pumps from a different well or something.

PS. On the drive to the supermarket, I realized that the above number was not right. 0.03 mg/l is 30ppb. I was off by a factor of 1000x.

Last edited:
Good tip on the dining room reservations.
We had an exquisite lunch at the 4th Floor Dining Room in the Museum. (And I learned that if you make reservations at the Dining Room, you get free admission to the museum.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom