What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Using today to fill the trash can to the very top for pickup Tuesday morning. That's my weekly goal.

Now if I can find someone to take the grandmother's fine china then the dining room hutch will be empty.

By Spring, I want to have the house clear of anything I do not care to keep going forward.

I spent several hours trying to determine the authenticity of an 1883-S gold double eagle. Using a Sigma (precious metals verifier), it displayed "out of range", but barely. It is of the correct weight, correct size, passes the ping test, and is within 3% specific gravity of 90% pre-1933 gold. Very frustrating. I am really believing that it is genuine and that the Sigma reads it as non-genuine because the alloy (the other 10%) is inaccurate (mint sloppiness).

Completed tax files, E-filed. Owe heap big $$ to feds and for the first time PA taxes as well. OTOH have much more $ than I ever dreamed of before. Long term investments are working fine. Time to get busy spending nieces' inheritances.

Returned from our 3 week long Az road trip - 4633 miles. I emptied the truck and DW can take it from here. Good thing we took the truck - this pile and the wood I bought wouldn't come close to fitting in a car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 5.53.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 5.53.13 PM.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 55
I spent about 7 hours of yesterday removing a two tub kitchen sink and installing a single tub kitchen sink. I did a lot of Amazon shopping and made the final decision 2 times before finding another one that I liked better. I had a tall faucet that I bought a year ago just because it was on sale, so that will replace the single handle Delta that I have disliked since day one. (difficulty making an adjustment for comfortably hot water.) All went smoothly, only one trip to the hardware store. I did have to unsolder a 22-1/2* elbow from the 1.635" OD copper drain pipe sticking out of the wall, this pipe is about 0.06" larger than the hole in the threaded compression nut, so I had to sand the nut larger to fit and then the plastic washer had to be stretched to fit the pipe. I don't know if there is an actual piece made for this transition, but I made the standard parts work. The drain leaked on the initial drain, but after tightening one pipe fitting, that was fixed. (Too many people helping under the sink :)
It was not the one I made kluge fix for.

On removing the 22-1/2" elbow, I had a Mapp Gas tank, I think that helped get the elbow off with little trouble. Propane at a cooler temp would have had more trouble on that large amount of copper.
Now, will we ever use the drop in cutting board or the drop in drain rack, or the drop in vegetables cleaning tray. Time will tell :blush: But, it sure is easier to wash larger pans and the wok in the single tub sink.
In a couple years, I get to take it out and put in new counter tops. The wife was content not doing it now, when I said lets wait until we start collecting SS in two years and hopefully by then we will have gotten back some of our stock market losses and our son will have bought a home. I left some outs for two years from now. Besides, vintage is good! :LOL:
Compression nut and sleeve or (washer, ferrule).

Attachments

• Compression not and sleeve.jpg
    Compression not and sleeve.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I thought that I got up to go to the bathroom around 2:30am this morning and my left eye was watering and my left nostril was plugged. I convinced myself that I was getting Covid and that I would probably have Covid brain fog and I would be screwed, since I hadn't done our taxes yet. Woke up and felt completely fine, so I think that it might have been a dream. However, I went ahead and did our taxes today and e-filed them, so that won't be on my mind when I go to bed tonight.

I thought that I got up to go to the bathroom around 2:30am this morning and my left eye was watering and my left nostril was plugged. I convinced myself that I was getting Covid and that I would probably have Covid brain fog and I would be screwed, since I hadn't done our taxes yet. Woke up and felt completely fine, so I think that it might have been a dream. However, I went ahead and did our taxes today and e-filed them, so that won't be on my mind when I go to bed tonight.

Username checks out. ;)

Returned from our 3 week long Az road trip - 4633 miles. I emptied the truck and DW can take it from here. Good thing we took the truck - this pile and the wood I bought wouldn't come close to fitting in a car.

Did you find some turquois rock material:confused: I hope you had a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you find some turquois rock material:confused: I hope you had a great time.

We had a great time, but I didn’t find any raw turquoise. I saw some finished turquoise pebbles that were too expensive. We’re going back in late April - I might be able to track some down then. I need to because I hardly have any turquoise left.

. . . that will replace the single handle Delta that I have disliked since day one. (difficulty making an adjustment for comfortably hot water.)

Time2 - Let me know how that new faucet works out. I was never able to get to the bottom of my hot water issue and am considering a new faucet as well.

As for what I did today - I rented “A man called Otto.” It was a good movie, especially at this stage of life. Definitely recommend watching it.

My wife has been pulling out the old winter veggie from the garden, and I help with tilling in some manure to prepare planting the summer crop, like tomatoes and okras.

The snap peas are still producing, and I get a fistful each morning. Next year, I will plant a lot more. Thought I did put down enough this year, but many seedlings died after sprouting and did not make it to maturity. I never knew why.

Every year, I have a problem with aphid infestation when it warms up. The aphids start to spread from the winter veggie to the young tomato plants now. Disgusting! Neem oil did not faze them. I have to use Sevin, but at a much weaker solution than recommended. Drenched these freaking aphids using a sprayer, but they seemed to thumb their nose at me. Gosh! Sevin-resistant aphids? Tried insecticidal soap too, but these aphids are tough.

Dang! Saw a lot of aphid-killer wasps, but the wasps are outnumbered.

Put new brakes on rear of my Jeep Wrangler. Very easy to do, about 1.5 hours total including getting all set up and cleaning up and putting tools away. Had bought the pads cheap on Ebay, so it was a low budget repair. Also rotated the tires since I was half way through that with rear tires removed.

Wow what a week!!!

Flew to Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, packed up daughters apartment with her, loaded it all in a U-Haul box truck, drove 900+’miles with daughter and two cats to Boston and unloaded it all on Saturday. Got it all set up and cleaned up on Sunday and back to the West Coast Monday nite.

Home now with feet up and enjoying Bourbon.

Wow what a week!!!

Flew to Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, packed up daughters apartment with her, loaded it all in a U-Haul box truck, drove 900+’miles with daughter and two cats to Boston and unloaded it all on Saturday. Got it all set up and cleaned up on Sunday and back to the West Coast Monday nite.

Home now with feet up and enjoying Bourbon.

WOW! Take me a week to recover. Lol

Wen and spent the day at the ranch and did a short hike. Found another surprise with a set of mule horns. Had wood stove going and was really nice and warm for lunch time.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1221 (1).jpg
    IMG_1221 (1).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 48
Do they usually drop both at the same time? Or do you occasionally see a deer with antlers only on one side? We have a lot of white tailed deer around here, but I must admit I don't pay that close attention. Mainly, I curse them for eating my garden.

Eye exam after two years.

No change in prescription and barely a trace of cataracts. Doc says I am one of the lucky ones to have great vision and still no significant cataract growth at my age.

Good eyes run in our family though.

Do they usually drop both at the same time? Or do you occasionally see a deer with antlers only on one side? We have a lot of white tailed deer around here, but I must admit I don't pay that close attention. Mainly, I curse them for eating my garden.

Grumby, is not a very common thing to find both within feet of each other. This year I found two sets together and in the past years I have found a few but not very common. Usually, you find one and not the other side after hours of search a large area for it.

I really enjoy the exercise and the outdoors hiking for them. Makes for a great day in the outdoors.

Time2 - Let me know how that new faucet works out. I was never able to get to the bottom of my hot water issue and am considering a new faucet as well.

When we moved into a new house as 2nd owner a few years ago, we had problems with our kitchen faucet/hot water as well. Took forever to get hot, I thought it might be the distance from the water heater. But everything else in the house was fine. All other faucets in the house were fine. Since I had lots going on with moving in, we just put up with it, figured it was lower on the list to address.

Later on, I was changing out a few leaky cartridges, and decided to do the one on the kitchen faucet (debated replacing whole faucet but decided to push that off). I go to turn off the water cutoffs under the sink, and I found two different kinds of valves for the cold and hot water. The cold took 1/4 (?) turn to close, I believe this is referred to as a ball valve. The hot was different, requiring a couple of revolutions, (maybe a gate valve but not sure of terminology). At any rate, what I discovered was that this valve had not been fully opened and was restricting the hot water at the cut off valve. Once I opened it all the way up, my slow hot water issue was gone! Never thought to look at that, totally unexpected. :)

Put down lawn fertilizer yesterday, today was mowing some more parts that needed it and ignored parts that didn't.

Back
Top Bottom